Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I'm just wondering whether there are any good universities with courses that concentrate on modern literature. I understand that I can't do an English degree that consists only of post-1900 literature, but I'd prefer to focus on more recent works.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm pretty sure Sussex's English course is quite heavy on 20th century literature and theory.

ReputationRep:
    The English Literature course at Lancaster University includes a lot of modern texts in the first year, with an emphasis on rewritings of classic texts. I'm in the first year and you study literature from the 16th century to modern day, and you can choose which texts to write your coursework on (in my last essay I compared Milton's Paradise Lost with a contemporary novel called The Telling written by one of our lecturers). In the second and third years you can pick modules that focus on 20th/21st century literature if it's what interests you, and you can do your final year dissertation on absolutely anything. Lancaster University has a great reputation too. I'm really enjoying the course and I'd definitely recommend it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm at Manchester and the course is awesome, and it feels like the lit we study is quite modern.

We do six modules a year. In the second and third years you have to do one module or more on very old stuff of your choice (medieval, shakespeare etc) one module or more on fairly old stuff (e.g. victorian) and a maximum of three on modern stuff (but you can also do an American studies module of modern American lit). So if I'd wanted, this year (and 3rd year) I would be doing 4 modules that are post-1900 lit.

The first year most of your modules are compulsory, and you do have to do a medieval one- but everyone actually seems to do really well in that module and by the end they all quite like it.

this is the list of modules-
    http://www.currentstudents.arts.manc...&submit=Submit

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.