The Student Room Group

advice needed regarding reference

Just need some opinions please. Basically I can't find any body to give me a reference. I left college five years ago now, and none of my tutors there remember me, and its the same case with my school. As I have been a self employed tree surgeon for the last three years I have no employers or any one that I know in a professional capacity that can give me a reference either. The only people I can think of would be classed as friends. Has anybody else ever had this problem? Are there any routes I should take?

Cheers, Neil
Reply 1
How about a professional family friend?
Reply 2
It seems to be quite a strict thing that you can't use a friend. I have the perfect person for the job who works at a university and is a family friend, but 'as a friend' is the only way we are linked. I'm worried if I use him they would question in what respect has he had contact with me. I could not ask him to lie. I was wondering if my college would have a duty to even look at my past record and provide a reference based on that alone?
Original post by neil87

Original post by neil87
I was wondering if my college would have a duty to even look at my past record and provide a reference based on that alone?

You can ask them to do so yes, particularly if you were a good student and didn't cause them any problems.
Universities know that references are fairly superficial at the best of times, particularly with mature students, which is why many chose to interview you and use this to make their decisions.

The college should still have records of your exam results, attendence etc and you might find that a couple of people do remember you once they get chatting to you. I was pleasantly surprised when I went back to my old college and five years later the teachers still knew exactly who I was and what I'd gone on to study at university. It would also be a good idea to fill them in with what you've been doing since you left college as then they can add that to the application.
Reply 4
Okay, thanks for the advice. When my old college re-opens I'll give them a ring and see if they can help.

Cheers, Neil
Reply 5
If I were you, and this is only my opinion, I would have a close friend write the reference, pretending he's your employer or something and then, if the university calls him, just lie... They'll have no way of proving he's not and I don't think they would even bother.
Good luck!
Original post by irina793
If I were you, and this is only my opinion, I would have a close friend write the reference, pretending he's your employer or something and then, if the university calls him, just lie... They'll have no way of proving he's not and I don't think they would even bother.
Good luck!

Unpricipled ar se!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending