Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This is a thread for anyone who has got an offer (or is waiting for one) for Biological Sciences at Imperial!

My offer is AAB (with an A in Biology), and I'm strongly considering Imperial as my first choice.

It will be nice to get to know some of the other prospective students, and discuss why we may choose Imperial!

ReputationRep:
    We've talked ^^ haha

Offer came 8th December, AAB (A in biology)
    Also considering 1st choice (it's at war with UCL)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goldust)
    We've talked ^^ haha

Offer came 8th December, AAB (A in biology)
    Also considering 1st choice (it's at war with UCL)
    I created a similar thread for people like us with UCL offers as well!

We need to decide!

ReputationRep:
    Got an offer for Biology with French for Science! AAB (where the B can be in French, go figure...).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sime)
    Got an offer for Biology with French for Science! AAB (where the B can be in French, go figure...).

Haha, that does seem a bit random.

Anyone know about the social life at Imperial?

ReputationRep:
    going to firm Imperial, but worry about the restructure thing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chaosteve13)
    going to firm Imperial, but worry about the restructure thing...
    restructure?

ReputationRep:
    Some lecturers have been sacked as a result of cuts and other things. The bad thing is that these lecturers teach you a fair bit at uni. I go to Imperial and am doing Biomed (Biomedical Sciences) and am in my 1st year. These lecturers teach about 20% of the stuff in my 2nd year!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

well done to everyone who's gotten an offer so far! can I ask, what grades did you guys get at gcse/as?

was wondering because my friend told me imperial is very grades focused, and I did well at gcse (7 A*s, 3 As) but at AS I mucked up a bit (got 2 As and 3Bs.. doesn't sound awful, but Biology was one of the Bs and its what i want to do at imperial) so I'm worried my grades aren't good enough ... however I am doing resits and my predicted grades are AAB which is what they want?

Thanks
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmmm....I am a Biomedical Sciences graduate from the UOM, Its been 7 months I am still unemployed, I really think Biomedical Sciences has been a waste of time (I studied so hard for AAC and I achieved it) but this degree has not got me anywhere, I am now thinking of going into an accelerated peadiatric nursing course in Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueRingedOctopus)
    Hey guys

well done to everyone who's gotten an offer so far! can I ask, what grades did you guys get at gcse/as?

was wondering because my friend told me imperial is very grades focused, and I did well at gcse (7 A*s, 3 As) but at AS I mucked up a bit (got 2 As and 3Bs.. doesn't sound awful, but Biology was one of the Bs and its what i want to do at imperial) so I'm worried my grades aren't good enough ... however I am doing resits and my predicted grades are AAB which is what they want?

Thanks
    xxx
    Your GCSEs are great, honestly I would retake Biology to get an A. Your predictions sound good, but remember, what a university 'wants' are more likely their minimum requirements, you will be up against people with 3/4 A* predictions.

Having said that, you still stand a huge chance. Go for it!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks AlexB1001

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueRingedOctopus)
    Hey guys

Thanks
    xxx

Hey, I completely agree with AlexB! You have done really well in your grades, i dont think Imperial are that grade focused because I did worse than you in my gcses and AS (AABB) [- due to lack of revision and not realising how important they were...] and i still got an offer! Im predicted AAA but im sure you'll get an offer too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sime)

do you need maths for Bio at Imperial? do they put it as "desirable", even?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingofSpades)
    It's the usual story with 'requirements'. Maths and Chemistry definitely help, and I'm sure you need at least one of them, but if you don't do maths it really doesn't mean you won't get in.

Remember, the relevance of Maths to Biology is mostly oriented around Statistics, and in my course we only do one small easy module for Statistics. Imperial won't think that you will struggle if you don't do maths, but if you can it will help.

Having said that, getting an A at AS-level or A/A* A2 prediction for almost any other 'harder' subject (english, languages, economics etc) will also be a great help.

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you're aware of the restructure before coming here. If you have any interest in plant science at all then there's no longer any point coming here, and be aware a lot of the second and third year options they advertise will be unable to be run (or will be entirely different) when you get here since for some of these courses, the lecturers who teach the majority of the course and the course conveners are being fired.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingofSpades)
    Well they just said on entry reqs. Biology A level and at least another science A level or Maths A level.

I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and French and haven't done any maths since Year 11

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sime)
    Well they just said on entry reqs. Biology A level and at least another science A level or Maths A level.

I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and French and haven't done any maths since Year 11
    Those A-levels are absolutely fine. The French is good!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexB1001)
    Those A-levels are absolutely fine. The French is good!
    Yes I already have an offer, I'm just saying for the reassurance for anyone else who hasn't done maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sime)
    Yes I already have an offer, I'm just saying for the reassurance for anyone else who hasn't done maths
    I guess I didn't write that well, I was agreeing with you (I was directing that comment at the person who isn't doing maths) haha

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.