Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

1.5 Mile (2.4k) Time - Help reducing! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi All!

I'm probably looking for the impossible here, but i'm looking for advice to reduce my 1.5miles time from about 14mins, to 13.23, in about 3 weeks.

Going to be hard I know. Obviously due to the weather conditions, I can't really run outside. Really slippery round here, and I cannot afford to injure myself. So majority of my runs (5/6) will be on the treadmill.

2-3 of these runs a week will be 1.5 miles in best time. I use a KPH machine at the gym, and am currently managing about 2km at 10.5 kph. Need to get it up to 2.4 at 10.9 min.

Any help on food + drink etc will be useful as well.

Many thanks
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Don't just do running, work on strengthening leg muscles too

Make sure you are warmed up properly before starting running in order to get optimum time

ReputationRep:
    Thanks,
    Currently warming up by walking 1min, faster walk 1min, light jog (8kph) 1 min, then do some stretches, then start.

My leg muscles are good. Benefit of riding for 15years. Its more cardio-vascular and mind that lets me down.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by chrissy-t9)
    Thanks,
    Currently warming up by walking 1min, faster walk 1min, light jog (8kph) 1 min, then do some stretches, then start.

My leg muscles are good. Benefit of riding for 15years. Its more cardio-vascular and mind that lets me down.
    I always did a longer warm up (8 min fast jog on cross trainer) but then again I was training for a 10k rather than a shorter distance!

Mind wise I always find setting myself targets helps, so maybe at the minute say you will run at a higher speed for 2 mins, then slow down for the next min, then higher speed for another 2 mins etc. because then you can focus on just getting through those two minutes at the higher speed, and gradually build it up until you can do it all at higher speed.

Also I find music with a good beat helps, once the beat starts your feet follow! You don't want to listen to anything under 163bmp (which is around a 10kph pace), here are some tracks I recommend:
    Pump It – Black Eyed Peas (163bpm)
    Sound of the Underground – Girls Aloud (163bpm)
    Always where I need to be – The Kooks (163bpm)
    You can’t stop the beat – Hairspray Cast (164 / 170 bpm)
    She’s so Lovely – Scouting for girls (167bpm)
    Footloose – Kenny Loggins (165 – 173bpm)

ReputationRep:
    That sounds good thanks, I'll try that.

Pump it, always a good track I quite often make the mistake of forgetting to change to my running playlist, so will be running to something fast, get into the beat, and then something slow like the scientist will come on. Grr. Silly me.

I can easily plod along for longer distances, outside. But as soon as I get some speed on, I struggle. Which is a pain.

Thank you for all your advice
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by chrissy-t9)
    That sounds good thanks, I'll try that.

Pump it, always a good track I quite often make the mistake of forgetting to change to my running playlist, so will be running to something fast, get into the beat, and then something slow like the scientist will come on. Grr. Silly me.

I can easily plod along for longer distances, outside. But as soon as I get some speed on, I struggle. Which is a pain.

Thank you for all your advice
    Good luck

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 23, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.