Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Andy Grey says that Messi couldn't cope in the EPL Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.football-news.org.uk/foot...er-league.html

Andy Grey has basically said that, because Stoke are a bit physical, Messi couldn't cope, and score prolifically, in the Premier League. He says that, Barcelona as well as Messi, would "struggle on a cold night at the Britannia."

He also said that La Liga does not have the same quality as the EPL, which is why Barcelona do so well.

Do you agree? While I think that Man City and Tottenham would give Villarreal and Valencia reasonably good games, we've all seen what happened when Barcelona faced English sides.

They beat Chelsea in 09, although everyone knows that Overbo was just as responsible for that as Barcelona's brilliance. Messi set up Iniesta's goal.

They beat Man U in the final in 09, with Messi scoring a header (something else he can't do).

They beat Arsenal 4-1, with Messi scoring 4, and drew 2-2 at the Emirates.

This makes Andy Grey sound a bit silly if you ask me.

Additionally, he seems all the more silly if you consider his idea that "Ronaldo only scores in La Liga because teams are poor."

Ronaldo scored 31 in 34 matches in the EPL...:facepalm:

I'd like to see this Barcelona side play Blackpool at home, or Wigan away-I think they'd do just as well.

But anyway, opinions please?

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, he said Messi not Barca.

ReputationRep:
    Andy Gray is pretty much an idiot. Messi would be the best player regardless of the league. It's not like teams in La Liga don't try and kick him off the park either.

ReputationRep:
    I love the phrase "cold night at the Britannia"

If it was warm Messi's skill wouldn't be broken down by hypothermia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1F2R3)
    To be fair, he said Messi not Barca.
    In the full story, he also suggests that Barcelona only succeed because the opposition is of such poor quality, something he hints at believing regularly-he's always going on about how we have the best league in the world.

ReputationRep:
    It would be interesting to see Messi every week against, teams like Stoke, Wolves, Everton, Blackburn who will put in a tackle at every oppurtunity compared to the slow defenders of La Liga.

La Liga is just a Sunny SPL. Two Teams.

ReputationRep:
    no Andy Gray is right, champion league football is very different to the EPL, messi would not be able to stand up to the physical nature of the EPL.

You can't deny that most of the teams in la liga are awful, championship or worse, thats why ronaldo scores so many (he scores more than he did in the EPL)...

Villareal and Valencia are way worse than spurs and man city, you have to remember that valencia sold all there decent players in the summer...

ReputationRep:
    He'd still be as amazing in this league, but he would obviously have to get used to being on the receiving end of Keane on Haaland style tackles at least once each week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stu Laverty)
    Andy Gray is pretty much an idiot. Messi would be the best player regardless of the league. It's not like teams in La Liga don't try and kick him off the park either.
    In addition, I think that any team that can beat a Mourinho team 5-0 (regardless of whether it was a fluke/Madrid played poorly) deserves more respect than Andy Grey has shown them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    In addition, I think that any team that can beat a Mourinho team 5-0 (regardless of whether it was a fluke/Madrid played poorly) deserves more respect than Andy Grey has shown them.
    You keep refering to Barca, but Andy Gray was just talking about Messi on his OWN.

ReputationRep:
    He's chatting ****, Messi would walk all over the EPL
    Iniesta, the shiny forehead diving **** on the other hand...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scholes)
    It would be interesting to see Messi every week against, teams like Stoke, Wolves, Everton, Blackburn who will put in a tackle at every oppurtunity compared to the slow defenders of La Liga.

La Liga is just a Sunny SPL. Two Teams.
    Lol. His style of dribbling is fundamentally reactive. Watch him play and you'll notice that he runs straight at a defender, waits for them to lunge / commit / tackle / react and jinks out the way. Messi is far better at facing players who commit themselves and dive in, than those stay close to him and are cautious in tackling him.

But Messi would never replicate that beautiful Bale volley against Stoke. In fact, Bale is the greatest player of all time. Why are we talking about Messi?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eddhann)
    no Andy Gray is right, champion league football is very different to the EPL, messi would not be able to stand up to the physical nature of the EPL.

You can't deny that most of the teams in la liga are awful, championship or worse, thats why ronaldo scores so many (he scores more than he did in the EPL)...

Villareal and Valencia are way worse than spurs and man city, you have to remember that valencia sold all there decent players in the summer...
    I disagree. Very few people here watch as much Spanish football as they do EPL football. And I think that the quality of player in Spain is probably higher overall. I mean, Atletico Madrid (who are sixth) have players like Aguero, Forlan, Simao, Asenjo, Reyes and Tiago; Sunderland who are sixth in the EPL have Bent, Gyan, Catermole, Gordon. I think that Atletico's players are just as good as those, if not better.

And the Ronaldo point is a flop. He scored 31 in 34 in one season in England.

ReputationRep:
    That David Silva wuss couldn't handle the Premiership either.

ReputationRep:
    Andy Grey should stick to FIFA

ReputationRep:
    http://www.football-news.org.uk/foot...er-league.html

Andy Grey has basically said that, because Stoke are a bit physical, Messi couldn't cope, and score prolifically, in the Premier League. He says that, Barcelona as well as Messi, would "struggle on a cold night at the Britannia."
    Oh please. Messi could play anywhere IMO, he's one of those PURE footballers, who are just naturally talented and driven to be the best. He isn't arrogant like Ronaldo, so he won't think of himself to be better than he actually is.

EDIT: I challenge the fool who negged me to give me a good reason. No one can argue with this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Panda Bear)
    He'd still be as amazing in this league, but he would obviously have to get used to being on the receiving end of Keane on Haaland style tackles at least once each week.
    Messi and Ronaldo both get fouled sooo much in La Liga-trust me, they're used to it.

ReputationRep:
    Messi and Ronaldo both get fouled sooo much in La Liga-trust me, they're used to it.
    Can't say I watch La Liga too often. But every time I've seen Messi play in the league, he's had a field day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Panda Bear)
    Can't say I watch La Liga too often. But every time I've seen Messi play in the league, he's had a field day.
    Oh, definitely, but he's also by far the most fouled player in the league and he's drawn the most yellow cards....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SolarElephant)
    Andy Grey should stick to FIFA
    Agreed, at least then I can turn him off at will.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 3, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.