Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Horse Bitless Bridle Watch

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone used them?

I've got one for my older horse and she keeps getting gum infections because of her age...

I've found myself to have fallen for this bridle. I'm thinking of putting the other horses on it. So if you have any questions about it, let me know and I'll try to answer them

I know it's a random post, haha, but I know there are other horse owners on here who might be interested in the bitless bridle.

TTFN xx

ReputationRep:
    I haven't tried one of those, but a foam saddle - now that's where it's at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultimate_Geek)
    I haven't tried one of those, but a foam saddle - now that's where it's at.
    what like a wow saddle?

I would probably try a bitless bridle if I had a reason to but I have most of mine in bubble bits & pretty much swear by them. Otherwise just use traditional tack...

ReputationRep:
    I had a PRE stallion who had major problems with his teeth from a young age, as I was living in Spain at the time, when I brought back the bitless bridle they thought I had gone mad (especially as they shove massive bits of rusty metal in their horses mouths) but it was brilliant! I did everything with him in it!! loved it x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hohohogreengiant)
    what like a wow saddle?

I would probably try a bitless bridle if I had a reason to but I have most of mine in bubble bits & pretty much swear by them. Otherwise just use traditional tack...
    Nah, cashel. I showed in it once (black one)- God only knows how I got away with that .

ReputationRep:
    Nah, cashel. I showed in it once (black one)- God only knows how I got away with that .

Wow you never got caught?! If it was eventing then it sorta makes sense, but if it was dressage then I'm shocked lol. What competition was it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ddua_dduges)
    Wow you never got caught?! If it was eventing then it sorta makes sense, but if it was dressage then I'm shocked lol. What competition was it?
    It was only a local charity show . I'm think it was Equitation. Nice 1st there as well .

ReputationRep:
    It was only a local charity show . I'm think it was Equitation. Nice 1st there as well .
    Oh right haha.. And congrats on getting first =D XD

ReputationRep:
    Coming from someone who knows nothing about horse riding I say COOL!

ReputationRep:
    We run the mare in a hackmore as she hates bits and can get very head shy. She loves it. I swear by them and would have the boy in one as well if I could convince my mum to buy one.

ReputationRep:
    I Ride mostly Bareback and Bridle-less in a Parelli-type Halter so I'd definately say a Bitless Bridle is a great idea!! I've also Ridden Horses in Hackamores which are also good for control. I have had Horses take off with me in them but then more so in Bridles with Bits so I don't think there should be too much of an issue, particularly if your Horse is not too 'flighty' lol. I think they're definately a good idea if you want to keep your Horse's mouth soft in which case if you used in it say everyday Riding, then switched to a Bit for Cross Country you'd find a heck of a lot more control
    Hackamores and Bitless Bridles are generally designed so that the pressure is put on the poll and nose rather than concentrated on the mouth, however, many Bridles being sold as 'Bitless Bridles' are basically Bridles with a Cavesson Noseband and no Bit attatchments, especially if bought online, so make sure you actually check what you're buying is the correct type of Bridle, otherwise you might find you have less control than even Riding in a Headcollar!! hehehe.
    It would also be good to hear others' stories of Bitless Bridles, and how their Horses went in them
    TTFN!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~*Horse_Mad*~)
    many Bridles being sold as 'Bitless Bridles' are basically Bridles with a Cavesson Noseband and no Bit attatchments, especially if bought online, so make sure you actually check what you're buying is the correct type of Bridle, otherwise you might find you have less control than even Riding in a Headcollar!! hehehe.
    Lol, that's kind of what I as expecting it to be! Glad to hear it actually works too. So long as you still have the control I'd say they were an awesome idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpacemonkeySam)
    Lol, that's kind of what I as expecting it to be! Glad to hear it actually works too. So long as you still have the control I'd say they were an awesome idea.
    Bitless Bridles in the true sense of the name (i.e Bridles without Bits built for the purpose as opposed to Bridles without Bit attachments passed off as 'Bitless Bridles' that give you less control than a Headcollar ) are a fantastic alternative to Bridles with Bits!!
    However, it does entirely depend on your Horse, as I've Ridden some Horses they don't agree with, whereas I've Ridden others who really Love being Ridden in a Bitless Bridle, trial and error I suppose!!
    Mind you, I do find the Parelli Halters to be useful in terms of control when on the ground and Riding - though please never tie a Horse up in one, as they don't snap so it;s really dangerous!! Otherwise Parelli Halters are an alternative to Riding in a Bridle all-together hehehe.
    I've now started Classical Dressage type Training with my Youngster (my Baby hehehe) and He's Loving His new Loose Ring French Link Snaffle - though I still do Ride Him in a Parelli Halter now and then when just playing/pottering about in order to keep His mouth soft

ReputationRep:
    Bitless Bridles in the true sense of the name (i.e Bridles without Bits built for the purpose as opposed to Bridles without Bit attachments passed off as 'Bitless Bridles' that give you less control than a Headcollar ) are a fantastic alternative to Bridles with Bits!!
    However, it does entirely depend on your Horse, as I've Ridden some Horses they don't agree with, whereas I've Ridden others who really Love being Ridden in a Bitless Bridle, trial and error I suppose!!
    Mind you, I do find the Parelli Halters to be useful in terms of control when on the ground and Riding - though please never tie a Horse up in one, as they don't snap so it;s really dangerous!! Otherwise Parelli Halters are an alternative to Riding in a Bridle all-together hehehe.
    I've now started Classical Dressage type Training with my Youngster (my Baby hehehe) and He's Loving His new Loose Ring French Link Snaffle - though I still do Ride Him in a Parelli Halter now and then when just playing/pottering about in order to keep His mouth soft
    I saw a Parelli display a year or so back in Windsor castle's grounds and was truly impressed. It was a great opportunity to try out my camcorder at the time too. I don't have a horse of my own to try any of these out on at the moment though unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    I saw a Parelli display a year or so back in Windsor castle's grounds and was truly impressed. It was a great opportunity to try out my camcorder at the time too. I don't have a horse of my own to try any of these out on at the moment though unfortunately.
    Parelli is great for confidence building, bonding with Horsey and bombproofing Horsey, particularly in the older Horse with regards to Riding and the younger Horse with regard to Handling/teaching manners - however, whilst training my Youngster I use the Parelli type training on the ground and Both my Horsies know the Parelli type Games but I'm finding He is responding very well to Classical Training (similar to what they do @ the Spanish Riding School in Vienna, not what they teach in Riding Schools ) as that's also how I've learnt to Ride (just havent had the oppurtunity to practice for a long while for various reasons I shant go into now lol) - So with regard to most things to do with Horses, it's definately trial and error!! hehehe.

Awwww I'm still looking for a part time Job atm, as Horses are very expensive, especially so when my cheeky monkey keeps wrecking His Rugs!! :rolleyes: hehehe. But if you want contact with Horses I'd definately suggest getting in touch with your local Riding School and helping out, I help out @ my local Riding School (in fact, am doing so tomorrow!! lol) and I know for a fact that the majority are always glad of help!! That way you can learn about Horses for free then when you have the means to buy a Horse of your own you can do so knowing you already know how to look after a Horse adequately
    Unless you already know about Horses of course, in which case I'm sorri to hear you arent able to have a Horse atm, all the best for getting a horse in the future though, there are many out there in need of a Home!!

ReputationRep:
    Parelli is great for confidence building, bonding with Horsey and bombproofing Horsey, particularly in the older Horse with regards to Riding and the younger Horse with regard to Handling/teaching manners - however, whilst training my Youngster I use the Parelli type training on the ground and Both my Horsies know the Parelli type Games but I'm finding He is responding very well to Classical Training (similar to what they do @ the Spanish Riding School in Vienna, not what they teach in Riding Schools ) as that's also how I've learnt to Ride (just havent had the oppurtunity to practice for a long while for various reasons I shant go into now lol) - So with regard to most things to do with Horses, it's definately trial and error!! hehehe.

Awwww I'm still looking for a part time Job atm, as Horses are very expensive, especially so when my cheeky monkey keeps wrecking His Rugs!! :rolleyes: hehehe. But if you want contact with Horses I'd definately suggest getting in touch with your local Riding School and helping out, I help out @ my local Riding School (in fact, am doing so tomorrow!! lol) and I know for a fact that the majority are always glad of help!! That way you can learn about Horses for free then when you have the means to buy a Horse of your own you can do so knowing you already know how to look after a Horse adequately
    Unless you already know about Horses of course, in which case I'm sorri to hear you arent able to have a Horse atm, all the best for getting a horse in the future though, there are many out there in need of a Home!!
    I recently got myself a dog so my free time for animals mostly goes on him atm. I stopped my riding lessons when I went to uni three years ago and have only ridden in holidays since. For my birthday (April) I'm going to a place in Cornwall with a riding stables and booking a week's worth of lessons to shake the dust off again. I'd love for my dog to become calm enough around horses to be able to ride out with him in the future but it's going to take a lot of work to get to that point I think.

Regarding your horse's rugs... ouch! That really must be a money-drainer! Does he wreck them by biting or rolling? If it's by biting have you tried spraying on something like Crib Stop?

ReputationRep:
    I recently got myself a dog so my free time for animals mostly goes on him atm. I stopped my riding lessons when I went to uni three years ago and have only ridden in holidays since. For my birthday (April) I'm going to a place in Cornwall with a riding stables and booking a week's worth of lessons to shake the dust off again. I'd love for my dog to become calm enough around horses to be able to ride out with him in the future but it's going to take a lot of work to get to that point I think.

Regarding your horse's rugs... ouch! That really must be a money-drainer! Does he wreck them by biting or rolling? If it's by biting have you tried spraying on something like Crib Stop?
    Apologies to the OP for having a conversation on your thread
    If it helps keep slightly on-topic, Bitless Bridles are good when used with Horses who are comfortable with them Also, Hackamores are useful when Riding Horses with issues with Their mouths i.e Parrot Mouth (we used to have a gorgeous Arab with a Parrot Mouth, He could only be Ridden in a Hackamore but was exceedingly happy in it ).

SpacemonkeySam - Dogs are fab Unfortunately mine are naughty with Horses, and other Dogs :/ lol. It's always safer not to have a Dog in-toe if Hacking on Roads though, only as I've done so and if the dog decides to run off it can get pretty hair-raising
    Hope you have fun on your Riding Holiday It doesnt take long to pick up where you left off, so dont worry about it, try to remember the most important things are to relax and not to pull/kick Horse
    And oh yeah, Rug wrecking is definately a money drainer :/ He's wrecked 5/6 Rugs so far, and outgrown the rest lol!! He's in a vest, a lightweight with half a neck cover and a mediumweight He has made a lightweight from ripping off the neck cover and getting His Friends to pull out the lining :/ He's the only one in the Field who ends up with damaged Rugs, He spends most of the time playing with the other Youngsters in the Field - apparently people have found Him with His rug off in the Stream with all the buckles still done-up!! Cannot wait to get a Job so I can save my Parents having to pay for and fix Rugs all-the-time

ReputationRep:
    Apologies to the OP for having a conversation on your thread
    If it helps keep slightly on-topic, Bitless Bridles are good when used with Horses who are comfortable with them Also, Hackamores are useful when Riding Horses with issues with Their mouths i.e Parrot Mouth (we used to have a gorgeous Arab with a Parrot Mouth, He could only be Ridden in a Hackamore but was exceedingly happy in it ).

SpacemonkeySam - Dogs are fab Unfortunately mine are naughty with Horses, and other Dogs :/ lol. It's always safer not to have a Dog in-toe if Hacking on Roads though, only as I've done so and if the dog decides to run off it can get pretty hair-raising
    Hope you have fun on your Riding Holiday It doesnt take long to pick up where you left off, so dont worry about it, try to remember the most important things are to relax and not to pull/kick Horse
    And oh yeah, Rug wrecking is definately a money drainer :/ He's wrecked 5/6 Rugs so far, and outgrown the rest lol!! He's in a vest, a lightweight with half a neck cover and a mediumweight He has made a lightweight from ripping off the neck cover and getting His Friends to pull out the lining :/ He's the only one in the Field who ends up with damaged Rugs, He spends most of the time playing with the other Youngsters in the Field - apparently people have found Him with His rug off in the Stream with all the buckles still done-up!! Cannot wait to get a Job so I can save my Parents having to pay for and fix Rugs all-the-time
    Yeah sorry, my contribution to this topic can only be minimal. I know how to take a bridle apart, clean it, and put it back together and that's about it. I've never had to be the one deciding what that bridle looks like!

He sounds like a real Houdini! Thankfully my horse was a Welsh Pony and hardy enough that he didn't need anything. He would have been mischievous enough to cost me a fortune too otherwise.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 7, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.