Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

:confused: I live in a flat with my mum and my 2 little sisters,
    My mum is allways out drinking and she hasn't came home for a while and i allways have to look after my little sisters and during college time i have to take them with me to college! I can't contact any family members because they're either dead or they live in canada, my father is in the army,
    what should i do and what do i do? about my mum and everything
    please help ?

ReputationRep:
    ... Why NOT contact your family ? I'm sure they could assist? or write to your dad... maybe telling him whats going on - maybe he could come back or write to your mum

good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Social services?

Definitely ask your dad for help and talk to your mum about the strain she's putting on you.
    • TSR Support Team

I would at least speak to someone in your family about the situation, if not maybe speak to someone at college about your situation.

ReputationRep:
    phone the social services, i dont think it would be wise to juggle college work and be the "parents" of your little sisters.

good luck and take care

ReputationRep:
    Talk to your mother about it. Maybe if you confront her, it'll at least have some effect on her.
    You should definitely tell your father about it. Despite the fact he's away, he will care about you and he will want to help.
    You should contact Social Services. They won't necessarily take your sisters away (I know a lot of people think that's all they do) they'll offer help and support.

ReputationRep:
    Contact social services and/or the family members. They should be willing to help, that's a terrible situation. If they're not, social services it is.

You probably don't want your younger siblings in care, but it's a lot safer for them to be there than with your mum. Social Services don't just take them away, either. They try to help and rectify the situation, and evaluate the risks before they take action (unless it's an emergency, obviously). Maybe if they spoke to your mum (if you're too anxious to), she'd realise what a strain she's putting on you. But it's also likely she probably won't respond well to that and will just be angry with you - in which case, social services would probably take your sisters (and you, depending on your age) into care, albeit perhaps temporary care.

Her absence and drinking are leaving them open to psychological problems as well as just general safety risks. It's just not an ideal environment, and I'm surprised you're even allowed to take them to College.

Would you say she's an alcoholic? If she is, try and get her some help, because alcoholism only leads to bad things.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 23, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.