Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

anyone else HATE christmas and find is MAJORLY DEPRESSING?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    i HATE xmas and ALWAYS get soooo depressed this time of year. i dont know what it is, the miserable weather, the sparkly fakeness, the stress of everyone expecting everything - i dont know, i just hate it soooo much i just want to sleep and have it be over.

anyone else feel the same? why?

EDIT: if you LIKE christmas, and want to go on about how JOLLY and MERRY and HAPPY you are, spending it with loads of family and getting loads of presents, please do not post. this is for miserables only so we can consolidate the sense of bah humbug.

i am spending it alone, going church 8am then ignoreing the day. i have asked everyone to give me gifts from Oxfam Unwrapped as i dont belive in materialism. Xmas sucks. i dont drink or eat meat either.

ReputationRep:
    I don't hate it but I get what you mean. I like the weather though.
    I'm indifferent about christmas, couldn't realloy care less. I had the expectations people put on each other though.

ReputationRep:
    only like it for the holidays haha.
    don't see the big deal about sitting with your family when you can do that everyday
    apart from the presents of course

ReputationRep:
    I used to love it but every year it gets worse. Hopefully I'll be out of here by next Christmas and I can have a good time

ReputationRep:
    I know exactly what you mean, but I still can't help looking forward to it. I love getting my presents.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Guess it's just you...

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ysfQjKKi70:banana:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinytoy)
    the stress of everyone expecting everything - i dont know, i just hate it soooo much i just want to sleep and have it be over.

anyone else feel the same? why?

I'll agree that bit. There was a time when people use to celebrate with their family and give out presents out of pure love. I think its become more of a burden now to continue the tradition. Im not saying this for all families but a vast majority do take it that way. Plus i find it sad that people hardly have any love/tolerance between their families.

PS: Im not imo, just stating what ive observed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    I like it.

I have a massive family and I love the fact I get to see them all (two sides split between xmas eve and boxing day)

Presents are not bad, too.
    did you read my thread title? this is for miserable s*ds only. if you want to rave about how awesome and tinselly xmas is, please feel free to make your own.

i have no family at all, except for distant relatives abroad who i dont speak to, and my siblings who are spending with their signifciant others. i will be alone and im GLAD.

i will get up, go to church at 8am for the Latin Tridentine Mass (it will be empty except for radical catholics), then go home and do housework and ignore xmas as much as possible. if i had more money i would leave the counrty over xmas.

i have told everyone who wants to buy me stuff to donate to Oxfam Unwrapped because i dont believ in materialism either. so no presents for me.

ReputationRep:
    Neither here nor there. I don't celebrate Christmas, so I guess I'm an outsider to it all but have always had it somewhat thrust upon me (naturally being in a country where the majority of people celebrate Christmas). It's a time when I think people tend to forget lessons we've been taught our whole lives; moderation, diligence, clear-mindedness. Instead (and this is simply my analysis and opinion), I find we consume in excess, drink in excess and forget in the heat of the season that there are people who don't have roofs above their heads and hot meals in front of them and in that aspect, I find Christmas a little disillusioning.

In fact, I was speaking to one of my friends about my ideas toward Christmas and she genuinely seemed offended, as if I were 'attacking' the notion of Christmas. Whilst I can not (and would not seek to) dictate how other people behave or interact, I find it puzzling how someone's sense of self can be so intrinsically derived from a tradition they do not even observe in any religious or original context. Some people can not understand why I wouldn't want to celebrate Christmas, the idea of not doing so is alien to them, but then I get the same kind of reaction when I tell people that I don't drink.

It's a strange time and whilst it's personally not for me, if it gives people a chance to spend quality time with their families, I can see why someone would participate.
    • TSR Support Team

It feels more like Christmas this year :woo::party:

ReputationRep:
    Arent you Christian? Just go do the religious side to xmas.

ReputationRep:
    Must admit I quite enjoy christmas, unless Im ill which I am! But I know what you mean, sometimes there are years where it seems difficult to get into the christmas spirit!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanNature1992)
    Arent you Christian? Just go do the religious side to xmas.
    yeah man i gave a random homeless girl £20 and £50 worth of gifts including:

fur lined boots
    a new puffa coat
    burberry perfume
    mini toiletries gift set
    tiny clip on earrings
    luxury soap
    a large tin of special edition biccys
    thermal hat, gloves, socks and scarf
    sterling silver cross and chain
    personal attack alarm
    negro hair oil moisturiser and an afro comb
    vaseline and lip gloss
    mince pies
    a large 1kg bag of party cheese savories
    dark chocolate ginger
    2 santa hats

so yeah i donated already. i just was honest maan and said, i see you everyday on my way to work, it aint right. merry xmas and handed her this massive bag. and i wrapped that sh*t up individually into loads of small parcels, wrapped real tight with ribbon and shiny paper and ting, real nice real raw and she looked like she was gonna cry. then i shouted, Praise the Lord!! then ran away.

then im goin Tridentine Mass o Xmas morning to see The Lord.

Why cant we have 4 public hls in the middle of summer instead? xmas is miserable. xmas sales are even more sorryful.oh dear

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    Neither here nor there. I don't celebrate Christmas, so I guess I'm an outsider to it all but have always had it somewhat thrust upon me (naturally being in a country where the majority of people celebrate Christmas). It's a time when I think people tend to forget lessons we've been taught our whole lives; moderation, diligence, clear-mindedness. Instead (and this is simply my analysis and opinion), I find we consume in excess, drink in excess and forget in the heat of the season that there are people who don't have roofs above their heads and hot meals in front of them and in that aspect, I find Christmas a little disillusioning.

In fact, I was speaking to one of my friends about my ideas toward Christmas and she genuinely seemed offended, as if I were 'attacking' the notion of Christmas. Whilst I can not (and would not seek to) dictate how other people behave or interact, I find it puzzling how someone's sense of self can be so intrinsically derived from a tradition they do not even observe in any religious or original context. Some people can not understand why I would want to celebrate Christmas, the idea of not doing so is alien to them, but then I get the same kind of reaction when I tell people that I don't drink.

It's a strange time and whilst it's personally not for me, if it gives people a chance to spend quality time with their families, I can see why someone would participate.
    I don't necessarily think that's true. Perhaps for some people, but not everyone. Just because you might overeat or whatever doesn't mean that you forget about the less fortunate or don't care about them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)

In fact, I was speaking to one of my friends about my ideas toward Christmas and she genuinely seemed offended, as if I were 'attacking' the notion of Christmas. Whilst I can not (and would not seek to) dictate how other people behave or interact, I find it puzzling how someone's sense of self can be so intrinsically derived from a tradition they do not even observe in any religious or original context. Some people can not understand why I would want to celebrate Christmas, the idea of not doing so is alien to them, but then I get the same kind of reaction when I tell people that I don't drink.

my brother in Christ. when i first encountered you, i thougth your screen name was blasphemous and you were a troll. but your words, avatar and post above have made me think otherwise. you have hit the nail on the head. i couldnt figure why i found it so awful at xmas.
    it is a celebration of excess. MORE food MORE money MORE presents for MEMEME MORE family MORE gifts IWANTIWANT IWANT!!
    not everyone has family (like me), not everyone has money or presents, and poor kids see their mates getting stuff like PS3, DVDs, laptops, bikes when they've had to make do with a box of Poundland choclates and slightly outdated mince pies from the market, and it is the one day a year mom lets them have the heating on all year. that is sad. christmas is a celebration of Christ, not money. Christ is INCLUSIVE, not EXCLUSIVE to the rich with big families. Christ LOVES the POOR a RICH MAN WILL NOT ATTAIN HEAVEN so why is it that on Christs birthday the poor are the most marginalised???? it isnt right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    I don't necessarily think that's true. Perhaps for some people, but not everyone. Just because you might overeat or whatever doesn't mean that you forget about the less fortunate or don't care about them.
    what proportion of your time effort and money at christmas is spent on yourself, excesses and indulging your immediate family. what proportion is spent on the poor and others without money or family. what do you DO for the less fortunate at christmas to show that you care??

:mad:

i thought so.

ReputationRep:
    It's just kind of a non-event.

It's good I get the day off, but I need to revise. The presents are cool, and the massive dinner is alright - but really... it's just a big deal for no reason.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't like it for a couple of years mid teens. It sort of lost the magic from when I was a child (just not getting stupidly excited on Christmas Eve felt really, really odd to me!) and it took time for me to appreciate Christmas from another not quite so magical angle. Now, I love it as a whole time and I love the buildup, and love spending the day with my family. You just have to learn that Christmas is different when you're a child, an adult, a parent or whatever other roles you might adopt during your life.

ReputationRep:
    PRAISE THE LORD
    GIVE YOUR GIFTS TO THE POOR
    IF YOU HAVE EXCESS FOOD OR DRINK
    DONATE TO YOUR HOMELESS BROTHERS IN THE NIGHTSHELTER WHO HAVE NONE
    IF YOU HAVE FAMILY WHO SHOW YOU LOVE
    SHOW LOVE TO SOMEONE SHO HAS NONE

CHRIST LOVES EVERYBODY
    HIS BIRTHDAY IS FOR ALL

NOT JUST THE RICH WITH LOADS OF PRESENTS
    NOT JUST THOSE WITH MASSIVE FANCY TURKEY DINNERS
    NOT JUST THOSE THOSE WHO DRINK TO EXCESS AND PASS OUT

do the right thing. Donate to Oxfam this Christmas.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.