Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    was gunna get a 6850 now i hear the 5850 is better and cheaper?

ReputationRep:
    hmmm I defiantly have a clue what your talking about. if you add the digits of the 6850 which is 19 and add up the digits of the 5850 which is 18, and take 19 from 18 you get One which is also the same number of suns in our solar system.
    Glad to help

ReputationRep:
    In most current games the 5850 is about 10% quicker than the 6850. The reason is that AMD wanted to keep the 57XX line going, so the 67XX became 68XX.

The two areas the 6850 is better than the 5850 (relatively) are crossfire scaling and overclocking, but an overclocked 5850 still generally beats an overclocked 6850 and crossfired 5850s still beat crossfired 6850s in most cases, so If the 5850 is cheaper then the 6850 has no real advantage. You should also consider the 1GB GTX 460 and perhaps the (released in about a month) GTX 560.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    Shame on you for note keeping up :p:

AMD has changed their naming scheme, so the 6850 is more in line with the GTX 460 IIRC.

AMD is releasing their 6950/6970(?), which are the successors to the 5850/their high end line, in January.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    Shame on you for note keeping up :p:

AMD has changed their naming scheme, so the 6850 is more in line with the GTX 460 IIRC.

AMD is releasing their 6950/6970(?), which are the successors to the 5850/their high end line, in January.
    They're already out :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somebody else)
    They're already out :p:
    Really? I swear it was one of the two at the very least...on checking Scan, they appear to be out already.

ReputationRep:
    It's the 6990 (dual GPU card) which is out next year.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=GX-147-XF

5870 at £176 anyone?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I really aint had time to keep up with college and all
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    not bad but i missed out on a HD5850 powercolor pcs+ for 120£ delivered next day

At my res (1440 x 900) that woulda sorted me right out

ReputationRep:
    not bad but i missed out on a HD5850 powercolor pcs+ for 120£ delivered next day

At my res (1440 x 900) that woulda sorted me right out
    they had the MSI HAWK 5850 for £124.99 yesterday
    Wish I'd picked one up actually...

ReputationRep:
    when I did my research, 5970 was still the highest generation card! Isn't the 6xxx series for 3D gaming?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbolo)
    when I did my research, 5970 was still the highest generation card! Isn't the 6xxx series for 3D gaming?
    Any halfway-modern ATI and Nvidia card can do 3D.
    The 5970 will likely stay the fastest consumer graphics card until the 6990 Dual-GPU card comes out.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...s,2776-10.html

The 5850 is slightly better but slightly more expensive.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 26, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.