Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Terrible signal on iPhone? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I got an iPhone yesterday on Vodaphone, even at the shop I got it from we checked the signal strength at my home and it says it is 'good' for standard services. That's far from the case. I went home, activated it, and for 80% of the time has no signal and just says 'searching' at the top left. It can't find ANY carries (3, orange, vodaphone, anyone). After searching for about 10 minutes I'll get a vodaphone connection of about 2-4 bars, but that will only last about 2 minutes before it stops and searches.

Standing outside doesn't help. So what's wrong here? The coverage should be good, but it can't find anything at all for most of the time, and then randomly decides to work. Should I be leaving it a few days before I should expect this to get any better? What really concerns me is a friend of mine living in the same area got a iPhone on O2 not long ago and his connection was fine from the first minute.

ReputationRep:
    You're holding it wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steve Jobs)
    You're holding it wrong.
    :mmm:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like your iPhone 4 works as well as an iPhone 4 should.

ReputationRep:
    That's what you get for being a slave to the apple corporation.

P.S. - Yes I own an Android and love it but the most important thing is that I can talk to my friends when I want to.

ReputationRep:
    Solution: buy another phone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sasukekun)
    I got an iPhone yesterday on Vodaphone, even at the shop I got it from we checked the signal strength at my home and it says it is 'good' for standard services. That's far from the case. I went home, activated it, and for 80% of the time has no signal and just says 'searching' at the top left. It can't find ANY carries (3, orange, vodaphone, anyone). After searching for about 10 minutes I'll get a vodaphone connection of about 2-4 bars, but that will only last about 2 minutes before it stops and searches.

Standing outside doesn't help. So what's wrong here? The coverage should be good, but it can't find anything at all for most of the time, and then randomly decides to work. Should I be leaving it a few days before I should expect this to get any better? What really concerns me is a friend of mine living in the same area got a iPhone on O2 not long ago and his connection was fine from the first minute.
    Have you got any other phone to test it? The signal checkers are by and large useless, so you will probably find that its the networks fault, not the phones. My iPhone has better signal than the other three phones I have (a cheapy Sony PAYG phone, my Xperia X1 and my old Samsung G600).

(Original post by yoyo462001)
    Sounds like your iPhone 4 works as well as an iPhone 4 should.
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    That phone is a ****ing piece of ****.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Have you got any other phone to test it? The signal checkers are by and large useless, so you will probably find that its the networks fault, not the phones. My iPhone has better signal than the other three phones I have (a cheapy Sony PAYG phone, my Xperia X1 and my old Samsung G600).

:rolleyes:
    Not my fault the iPhone doesn't have phone functionality, but obviously we can't blame Apple or Steven Jobs :no:

ReputationRep:
    You need to buy a case for it. direct contact with a part of the phone disrupts the signal reception.

Apple actually suggested holding it something like this:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    Not my fault the iPhone doesn't have phone functionality, but obviously we can't blame Apple or Steven Jobs :no:
    Apart from the fact it does have phone functionality, and it works perfectly well.
    As I said, it gives me better signal than my older phones.

As for the signal "problem":
    1 - at least the way I hold the phone - I never touch the specific point anyway
    2 - who doesn't buy a case for a £500 phone :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Buy one of those Vodafone Sure Signal things. If that doesn't work, you're holding it wrong.

Vodafone Sure Signal
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Apart from the fact it does have phone functionality, and it works perfectly well.
    As I said, it gives me better signal than my older phones.

As for the signal "problem":
    1 - at least the way I hold the phone - I never touch the specific point anyway
    2 - who doesn't buy a case for a £500 phone :confused:
    Yes it's your fault not Steve Jobs. :nopity:

ReputationRep:
    Aye, I'm definitely not holding it wrong. Could it be anything to do with being given an apparently temporary number while I wait for my PAC code to be sent from Orange (so I can keep my number)? I'm pretty sure I keep the same SIM though.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, piss off those who haven't used one as you LITERALLY have no idea. Talk about following the crowd and jumping on the bandwagon.

FYI, I've had (and still have) an iPhone 4 since launch and my signal is just fine thanks. (Y)

Use a case ive done it as well your thumb is covering the signal
      yeah i know apple need to test before the launch

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by blueray)
      Use a case ive done it as well your thumb is covering the signal
      yeah i know apple need to test before the launch
      Mhmm, I bought a case with it. Where is the receiver on the iPhone? Just so I can make sure I'm not covering it.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Sasukekun)
      Mhmm, I bought a case with it. Where is the receiver on the iPhone? Just so I can make sure I'm not covering it.
      If it's iPhone 4, it's that black line on the side of it (the left I think). It's where all that 'you're holding it wrong' comes from. Somebody emailed Steve Jobs asking if they're going to solve the problem and he emailed back saying 'avoid holding that way'

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by JonCha)
      Oh, piss off those who haven't used one as you LITERALLY have no idea. Talk about following the crowd and jumping on the bandwagon.

FYI, I've had (and still have) an iPhone 4 since launch and my signal is just fine thanks. (Y)
      I'm sorry... you're accusing people of jumping on band-wagons and following crowds, when you've had an iPhone 4 since launch :lolwut:. I'm sorry if I LITERALLY have no idea whether or not the signal's terrible, but I don't want to spend 500 quid on one of them to find out.

Congratulations, I'm happy that you're signal is just fine, not that you'd expect decent signal on a phone that costs half a grand... my bet is that you live within 12 feet of a mobile phone tower.

Stop hating on us crowd followers. (Y)

Spoiler:
      Show
      Sorry for the rant, I'm having a bad day.... must be on my man period or something.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Liam_G)
      I'm sorry... you're accusing people of jumping on band-wagons and following crowds, when you've had an iPhone 4 since launch :lolwut:. I'm sorry if I LITERALLY have no idea whether or not the signal's terrible, but I don't want to spend 500 quid on one of them to find out.

Congratulations, I'm happy that you're signal is just fine, not that you'd expect decent signal on a phone that costs half a grand... my bet is that you live within 12 feet of a mobile phone tower.

Stop hating on us crowd followers. (Y)

Spoiler:
      Show
      Sorry for the rant, I'm having a bad day.... must be on my man period or something.
      Perhaps you haven't read through the thread, but it's more than a coincidence that people are consistently saying that 'You're holding it wrong' and this is coincidentally what was the favourite go-to meme when Antennagate came around.

Second point: I jumped on the bandwagon... even though I made an informed decision. At that time there was no phone that in terms of hardware matched the iPhone 4 and, arguably, still is no such phone. This isn't opinion, this is fact. Check reputable blogs and you'll see the same result.

And do I live so close to a signal tower? I'll give you my address so, you know, you can look it up if you're so confident.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.