Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have recent revelations re-instated your faith in certain Lib Dems? Watch

• View Poll Results: Have you regained faith in some Liberal Democrats?
    Yes, some
    27.59%
    No
    37.93%
    I just don't care anymore...
    34.48%

ReputationRep:
    As has been reported by the BBC, The Daily Telegraph and many other news platforms, certain Liberal Democrat MP's have been found to doubt the coallition and its policies which they believe they've been pushed into voting for/fighting for.
    Has the fact Vince Cable has (even htough he no longer has power to) "declared war on Rupert Murdoch"
    Or the fact Paul Burstow does not trust David Cameron,
    Or the fact David Heath believes Chancellor George Osbourne is out-of-touch with the UK.
    Have these revelations regained your faith in the said Liberal Democrats?
    Or does this just show a coallition that is in dissaray?
    Or, like me, do you hope that it's about time the government got on with it?

All of that makes me like the Lib Dems less, but I support tuition fee reform, which will make my Lib Dem stance very different to most peoples. I'm pretty happy with them so far really. Hope they take a tough stance on control orders though.

ReputationRep:
      If they have changed so much... why are they still working with the Tories? GET OUT!

HAVE ANOTHER ELECTION NOW!
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      Yeah because I love to hear a member of cabinet claim to want to wage war against a private company. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Aj12)
      Yeah because I love to hear a member of cabinet claim to want to wage war against a private company. :rolleyes:
      Oh come on, Rupert Murdoch would end up like Berlusconi given half the chance. You know you wouldn't say that if you didn't hate Vinnie thanks to the tuition fees.

(Original post by CandyFlipper)
        All of that makes me like the Lib Dems less, but I support tuition fee reform, which will make my Lib Dem stance very different to most peoples. I'm pretty happy with them so far really. Hope they take a tough stance on control orders though.
        Really? You support the "reform?" What would Peter Schiff think?

(Original post by Aj12)
          They do that all the time. The slimy and odious Vince Cable has attacked Banks this week, in terms of X-mas bonuses. He is dancing to what he thinks the public wants to see. I really dislike him.

ReputationRep:
          No. At most, the attempts by Liberal Democrats to "resist" the Conservatives are just publicity stunts. They are thinking in terms of their own future now that they've lost all that student support.
          These snakes are not to be forgiven for the blatant deception and betrayal of their core vote.

ReputationRep:
          There was no faith in the first place.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by doctorryan)
          As has been reported by the BBC, The Daily Telegraph and many other news platforms, certain Liberal Democrat MP's have been found to doubt the coallition and its policies which they believe they've been pushed into voting for/fighting for.
          Has the fact Vince Cable has (even htough he no longer has power to) "declared war on Rupert Murdoch"
          Or the fact David Heath believes Chancellor George Osbourne is out-of-touch with the UK.
          i HATE that the libdems sit on the fence so much, they cant just oppose or support but they have to doubt... vince cable is on strictly, 'nuff said. i'm saddened that i really did think a new age of politics was upon us when they joined the coalition. i hope cleggy got a turd under his christmas tree

ReputationRep:
          They are hypocrites, saying one thing and doing another.

ReputationRep:
          They have allayed some fears but raised others. I'm happy to see evidence that Liberal Democrats aren't in fact a branch of the Tories. But I'm saddened that they refuse to come out officially and make a stand. Patronage over principle ravages the Liberal Democrats at present.

ReputationRep:
          If anything they look like even bigger ****ers than before. They're being shafted by the Tories, and all they do is 'doubt' whilst continuing to vote for regressive policies they patently do not agree with. Desperate for red boxes, and little else...

ReputationRep:
          Never trusted them in the first place.

(Original post by Lord Hysteria)
            Really? You support the "reform?" What would Peter Schiff think?
            The new proposals beat the status quo, thats for sure. The poorest 20% will actually be better off than they are now, I believe middle class government spending should be the first spending to go.

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by Lord Hysteria)
            He is dancing to what he thinks the public wants to see.
            Literally:

ReputationRep:
            I know it's probably an unpopular viewpoint, but I supported the Liberal Democrats, their policies and their ideology before the election and I strongly agree with pluralism, coalitions and compromise. So I never really lost faith in the first place. Why should I have? Unsurprisingly, some Liberals don't agree with some Tories - that's why they're in different parties in the first place - and I see no wrong in lower level Liberals criticising the government; it makes for healthy democracy.

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by CandyFlipper)
            The new proposals beat the status quo, thats for sure. The poorest 20% will actually be better off than they are now, I believe middle class government spending should be the first spending to go.
            Yes but 90% of people who leave uni can count themselves as the poorest in society. Parental wealth more often than not will never transfer into having your fees paid, which means poorer students get a free ride and middle class students get punished for their parents success. The fact that everyone gets a loan is an admission of this.

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by doctorryan)
            This is hardly news, there are people on both sides that are unhappy, they are very different parties historically. I may dislike everyone in the coalition and criticize it constantly but I want it to last and the alternatives presently are hardly that appealing. I'm a swing voter so this won't change things considerably, although I am still rather peeved at the Lib Dem's, it all makes my desire for a PR system all the more relevant.

Submit reply
          TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 27, 2010
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
          What newspaper do you read/prefer?
          Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
          Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.