Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I don't know what to do with an English degree :( Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone I've applied to study English literature at university next year, and recently I've been feeling very pressured to make some kind of decision as to what I want to do as a career after I get my degree. None of the usual careers associated with English interest me (i.e. journalism, law, etc.). Although teaching English doesn't really appeal to me, I'd love to teach drama someday but I'm still not convinced by teaching. Everyone else seems to know what they want to do, but I'm really uncertain. I was just wondering if there are any English graduates out there who are working in sectors a bit different to the 'standard' English-type jobs; or any undergraduates who have a clear idea of what they want to do? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    lol.

ReputationRep:
    Become an English Gentleman.

ReputationRep:
    I graduated from English last year, and I still have no idea what I want to do. My advice (and I really wish someone had told me this), is in all your holidays, get as much work experience as possible in fields you think you might enjoy. This can help narrow down your ideas for a career, but also give you the work experience which is essential when you graduate. Also, if you like drama, find a drama society at uni and do that, so if you decide to do teaching, you have that to talk about. Why not ask your local school if you could help out one day or one afternoon/morning a week when there are drama lessons, see if that could be what you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by draikzer)
    Become an English Gentleman.
    Ah, I wish... that would be quite a career

ReputationRep:
    Well I for one plan to do a law conversion afterwards, so if that tickles your fancy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zebrastripes)
    I graduated from English last year, and I still have no idea what I want to do. My advice (and I really wish someone had told me this), is in all your holidays, get as much work experience as possible in fields you think you might enjoy. This can help narrow down your ideas for a career, but also give you the work experience which is essential when you graduate. Also, if you like drama, find a drama society at uni and do that, so if you decide to do teaching, you have that to talk about. Why not ask your local school if you could help out one day or one afternoon/morning a week when there are drama lessons, see if that could be what you want to do.
    Thank you! That's very useful I did actually do a week of work experience in the drama department in my school, and I really loved it- I want to be sure teaching is the right career for me before I pursue it, though. I'll definitely look into drama societies when I'm at uni. Hope you decide what you want to do! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sango)
    Well I for one plan to do a law conversion afterwards, so if that tickles your fancy...
    Thanks for the advice, but anything law based really doesn't appeal to me. I'm from a family of lawyers and it doesn't interest me whatsoever- each to their one, though, so good luck!

ReputationRep:
    You could always burn it, my dear

ReputationRep:
    I'm exactly the same! My dream is to own a bookshop/cafe where people can come for a coffee and soak up some literature. But as a career... I also don't want to go into teaching, law etc... I would quite like to write reviews and articles for the culture section of a newspaper or website, or be a private tutor, aka only one-to-one sessions (I have absolutely no confidence when it comes to talking in front of a large group of people, but hopefully that skill will develop at University!)

ReputationRep:
    How about copywriting?

ReputationRep:
    Marketing? Advertising? Publishing?
    Or if something else in the media, possibly film production or theatre?
    Or if teaching drama interests you, the above advice is great - get involved in as much drama as possible at uni and try and get some experience helping out at schools or even local drama groups (depending on the age group you wish to teach)
    If you can't decide, you can always take a year out after uni, possibly doing some work experience somewhere or teaching English abroad?
    Just don't panic - you'll find something you want to do and it doesn't matter if you pick something now and then change your mind. There are always options
    And about unusual options - I know some English graduates who have gone into finance and even onto graduate medicine courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beth Angharad)
    Hey everyone I've applied to study English literature at university next year, and recently I've been feeling very pressured to make some kind of decision as to what I want to do as a career after I get my degree. None of the usual careers associated with English interest me (i.e. journalism, law, etc.). Although teaching English doesn't really appeal to me, I'd love to teach drama someday but I'm still not convinced by teaching. Everyone else seems to know what they want to do, but I'm really uncertain. I was just wondering if there are any English graduates out there who are working in sectors a bit different to the 'standard' English-type jobs; or any undergraduates who have a clear idea of what they want to do? Thank you
    Like someone said you can become a copywriter i intend to work in advertising maybe even start my own ad agency(don't worry i'll give you a job) but i am going to study fine art/graphic design so i'll handle the pictures you handle the words. I am going to stop now before i get carried away

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beth Angharad)
    One of my best mates doing medicine did English for her first degree

ReputationRep:
    1. Go back in time and invent the English language.
    2. Join the BNP as an expert on the superiority of English over all other languages.
    3. Masters, PHD, published author, university lecturer. The Path of the Never Ending Student, as it were.

ReputationRep:
    You can correct peoples grammar on the internet for a living?

ReputationRep:

...Sorry. Couldn't resist. Most of my sensible ideas have been said already. I'll just leave quietly now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by christielovesyou)

...Sorry. Couldn't resist. Most of my sensible ideas have been said already. I'll just leave quietly now.
    Positive rep just for posting the exact same video I was literally about to post.

What sort of pressure could you possibly have 10 months before actually starting your degree about what to do afterwards (minimum of 3 and half years from now)?

Sorry if I seem a bit blunt, but chill out love. You've got so much time to think about that. Some people know what they want to do when they're doing their GCSEs and for others they only really know in the final few months of their degree once they've been made to think about it (sometimes not even by then).

Keep your options open for as long as necessary I would say. None of us can predict what the employment world will look like in 2014 and you might find that there's plenty more information about something that really interests you as you progress through your degree.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, don't worry about it. I did English and I didn't know what I wanted to do. I would like to echo what a few others have said - keep your options open. Tons of people will make out that you've limited yourself to advertising/publishing/teaching/academia, but the truth is that you could get into the vast majority of careers once you've graduated. I agree that it's a good idea to get a variety of work experience - also go to careers events at uni (I only started doing this as a finalist but it's very useful!) and do plenty of research into things that interest you.

You have AGES to think about this stuff, though, so don't worry about it yet! No one should be pressuring you.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you ever run out of toilet paper

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.