Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well really I would like to hear from some people who are already at university, basically do you think it is worth getting a room with an en-suite?

I would really like to have one because obviously it is more private, you do not have to worry about waiting to use the bathroom and you do nto have to worry about other people making a mess or leaving all their products cluttering up the place.

But also it is very expensive and I would have to clean it myself...

When I went to Reading for a visit day, one of the students told me it was a nightmare to clean.

Plus you have to buy the cleaning products which is even more money.

So is it worth it?

Also what is it like having to share a bathroom?

ReputationRep:
    Don't bother. When you move out of halls you will be sharing bathrooms anyway. The same can be said for the majority of your life!

ReputationRep:
    When you want to take a dump, you want to take a dump. You don't wanna have a queue of 4 others before you. Go for ensuite, it's worth the extra £, especially if like me, you have a morning schedual and routine for your business. Every day, 8.30, ****, shave and a shower and yer off.

(Original post by Maigre)
    When I went to Reading for a visit day, one of the students told me it was a nightmare to clean.
    Only if he was a messy ****. It's hardly taxing unless your bowels explode everywhere. You just need abit of toilet duck now and again, that's it.

ReputationRep:
    I had an en-suite in the first year, and loved it. I have never shared a bathroom with anyone apart from my family, so can't comment on that side of it, but I liked being able to shower when I wanted, leave all my shampoo and such in the shower, keep it nice and clean- and I have to say it was always good to have a bathroom handy after a night out (oops!)

ReputationRep:
    I had an en-suite last year but don't this year.

Generally I don't think an en-suite is worth the cost unless you're sharing with a lot of people. I haven't had any problems with sharing.

ReputationRep:
    Own bathroom is a god-send. No waiting around, any mess is yours, people are always sick or leave horrible things around etc and thats not pleasant for you. Cleaning a bathroom, if you are a clean person anyway, is bloody easy. Takes about 10 mins max. It, IMO, really is worth the money. Sharing is only ok if you know the people you are living with and know they are clean etc.

ReputationRep:
    I've had both. I massively preferred having an ensuite, you get so much more privacy and bathrooms aren't that hard to clean. You don't have to spend much on cleaning products, either. Plus you can leave your things in the bathroom and you don't have to put up with other peoples dirt and grime.

Having said that, the baths in Royal Holloway were cleaned well and walking to and from the toilets made the halls that little bit more sociable.

ReputationRep:
    Well really I would like to hear from some people who are already at university, basically do you think it is worth getting a room with an en-suite?

I would really like to have one because obviously it is more private, you do not have to worry about waiting to use the bathroom and you do nto have to worry about other people making a mess or leaving all their products cluttering up the place.

So is it worth it?

I can't speak for en suites at uni but I've lived in two different flat shres in the past year and sharing a bathroom with people has been absolute hell. You find all kinds of obscene substances in places you'd rather not find them. I'd go to uni simply to spend a year with an en suite and then fight tooth and nail to stay in halls

But yeah maybe its totally different at uni, but generally speaking when living in shared accommodation, en suite > no en suite

ReputationRep:
    I guess I'm biased, living in a flat of 10 girls who don't really go out getting drunk every night, but I don't find sharing a bathroom a problem at all. We have two bathrooms between 10 of us, and I can count the number of times on one hand I've ever had to wait to use the bathroom. I also shower before I go to bed, whereas most of my flatmates shower in the morning so I always avoid that queue. We're also all clean. We keep our shower things in small boxes in the bathroom and no one ever leaves a mess - it's always left in the state we find it in. I'm so glad to have my flatmates, I've heard so many nightmare stories before!

ReputationRep:
    I've always shared a bathroom at school (I'm a Senior in college now), and I don't get why it's such an issue. My freshman year, there were about sixty people on my floor and about eight showers/toilets, and I never waited in line or had a problem. The bathrooms were cleaned every day, so who cares? For the past couple of years, I've lived in a sorority with about seventy other people, and it's never been a problem, either. Plus, it's fun to catch up with people over hair-straightening and tooth-brushing.

Again, I really don't understand the issue, I guess because I can't think of any university (in the U.S.) where having your own bathroom is even an option. Buy awesome shower flip-flops and a shower caddy and save your money!

ReputationRep:
    The student accommodation I stayed in last year had 8 bedrooms, 2 showers and 2 toilets. Each room had a sink.

For the most part, we never had any scheduling issues. We just knew how to get on with it.

Cleanliness and toilet rolls can be an issue. No matter how good a plan you hatch at the beginning of semester, it is guaranteed to go wrong We had an issue with 1 of our flatmates, she was this filthy ***** from China. There were sanitary bins in the toilets, instead of flushing her used toilet tissues she would put it in the sanitary bin and stink up the whole damn flat. Thankfully she moved out but unfortunately we had the misfortune of having a filthy welsh bloke who would leave his faeces stains all over the toilet bowl, oh yeah he would never buy any toilet rolls as well, but would happily use 1/4 of the roll each time he defecated :mad:

Anyway one thing to remember when getting an ensuite is very often the rooms might in fact be smaller. Plus there is also the extra cost involved. Depending on where you're going the difference is enough to fund all the nights you'll be going to the clubs and pubs for the whole year

ReputationRep:
    I've got an en-suite and tbh I wouldn't not want one. While I've not heard any horror stories from people, I think just the convenience of having one there is so worth it. Think about if you're ill, or if you've had too much to drink - you have a toilet right there next to you!

ReputationRep:
    Personally, i like to sit on the toilet and in a public/shared bathroom it's bloody disgusting to do!

ReputationRep:
    it totally IS worth it! i had a shared bathroom in my first yr and it was actually disgusting. imagine having to see skid marks on the toilet whenever u go in, toilet roll absolutely everywhere, people banging on the door while ur in the toilet/shower.

so it is sooo much better to have en suite, most of mates had ensuite and the only thing they didnt like was having to clean it, which isnt too bad i guess.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies, it is really usful to hear from some people with experience.

I think I will pay the extra money for it anyway it sounds worth it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies, it is really usful to hear from some people with experience.

I think I will pay the extra money for it anyway it sounds worth it.
    go for the ensuite, deffo worth the extra money! i have heard some nasty stories about shared ones, especially with boys! its so good to be able to use it whenever, without a nice walk down the corridor at night and they're not huge so literally take 5 mins to clean!

ReputationRep:
    I would really recommend getting an en-suite at Reading, I'm at Bulmershe which has en-suites and it is a god-send....their not too bad to clean at all, mop, bucket (already there) and buy some jif spray and you're away. I could take a picture if you're interested in what they look like?
    Also, from what I've heard, the accommodation at Reading that is shared bathrooms are quite minging. If you've got the dosh, definitely go for it

ReputationRep:
    Totally worth it and not difficult or time-consuming to clean at all.

ReputationRep:
    I had an ensuite for half of my first year, and it was okay. Nice to have a clean bathroom all the time, being able to leave all my stuff there however for the second semester i realised I couldn't afford an ensuite. i changed to halls which had two showers, one bath, and 4 toilets between 16 girls and I never once had to wait for a shower. I would get a shower every morning before uni and like I said never had to wait. It's because people have completely different time tables, and we had cleaners that came in every morning. I worked out realistically I was paying way over a grand more for my own bathroom which really wasn't worth it.

ReputationRep:

So is it worth it?

I live in Wessex and can honestly say it is not worth paying extra for an en suite. There are 4 showers and one bath shared between about 16 of us and i have never had to wait to use a shower... they are always hot... the cubicles are really private. Boys and girls share our bathroom, but it's not an issue. Wessex have single sex bathrooms too mind you! Everyone takes their stuff down in a bag and normally takes their rubbish with them - although the cleaners do that during the week too! We have sinks in our rooms, so brushing your teeth is done in your room. Save your money!! You'll be sharing a bathroom in second year anyway if you decide to live in a house!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.