Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok in September I took the decision not to apply for medicine entry 2011 but instead take a gap year and apply in 2012.

My reasons for doing this were that I had virtually no work exp. and so wouldn't really have stood a chance against the other applicants. I also hadn't had enough experience to make sure that I was 100% right for medicine.

I instead applied for science related courses starting 2011 incase when I did my WK EXP I decided that medicine wasn't for me.

My refereree (school guidance support teacher) wrote me a brilliant reference for this and I was wondering if it would still be valid when applying next year? And if not, who would I get to write my reference?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzie93)
    Ok in September I took the decision not to apply for medicine entry 2011 but instead take a gap year and apply in 2012.

My reasons for doing this were that I had virtually no work exp. and so wouldn't really have stood a chance against the other applicants. I also hadn't had enough experience to make sure that I was 100% right for medicine.

I instead applied for science related courses starting 2011 incase when I did my WK EXP I decided that medicine wasn't for me.

My refereree (school guidance support teacher) wrote me a brilliant reference for this and I was wondering if it would still be valid when applying next year? And if not, who would I get to write my reference?
    I assume from this you decided that medicine is for you and you are applying for 2012 entry.

It may still be valid, it depends on if your school writes a generic reference or writes a reference which is tailored to your particular subject. You would need to contact your referee to let them know that you are re-using them as a reference. If you think the reference is not viable for medicine, you could ask the same referee to rewrite one.

ReputationRep:
    From this year they've changed the way that the UCAS forms work so that you cannot enter the reference yourself, even as an independent applicant (i.e. not affiliated with a school/college/university). You have to enter your referee's email address and UCAS then contact them on your behalf.

So make sure you get that part of the form sorted out well in advance

I found this out the hard way, with several frantic phonecalls a couple of days before the application deadline, haha.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.