Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Exam in january and I'm stessing out, finding gas calculations really difficult.

The Q is:
    18g of pentane is completely burnt in a car engine to form c02 and water.

What volume of 02 is needed, assuming that one mole occupies 24dm^3?
    What volume of air is needed (assume that air contains 20% 02 by volume)
    What volume of carbon dioxide is produced?

Thank you so much!

P.S. Please write down step-by-step method and perhaps explaining why a certain step is used

Thanks again, much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    First you need to work out the moles of pentane used. Which is 18 / ((12 X 5) + (1 X 12) = 0.25 moles of pentane used.

Now work out a balance equation:

C5H12 + 5O2 >>>>>> 5 CO2 + 5 H2O

So that means for everyone one mole of pentane you need 5 moles of O2 thus:

0.25 * 5 = 1.25 moles of O2 needed.

Next you need to times 24dm^3 by the number of moles of O2 used (1.25) thus: 1.25 * 24 = 30dm^3 of O2 used.

As you know 20% is 30dm^3 you need to do 30dm^3 / 20 * 100 = 150dm^3 of air needed.

Finally the volume of CO2 produced is equal to the volume of O2 produce so 30dm^3

I hope that makes sense, if not please do quote me and ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshed)
    Lots of answers
    It's better to help someone work out the answers, than give them the answers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingerbreadman85)
    It's better to help someone work out the answers, than give them the answers.
    Which is why I gave them a step by step method to doing it, it is their choice if they take my answer or use my workings to understand it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.