Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is Business at Durham like uber competitive?

Because i'm considering changing a choice on my UCAS for Durham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roflhahalol)
    Is Business at Durham like uber competitive?

Because i'm considering changing a choice on my UCAS for Durham.
    About as competitive as another other top 10 uni.
    It's not one of our most competed for subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smiling...Rain)
    About as competitive as another other top 10 uni.
    It's not one of our most competed for subjects.
    Hmm I don't have the best GCSE's mainly B's with 3 A's, but did pull off A*BB at a level and am retaking one of the B's in my gap 'yah' to raise it to an A.

Is it worth a try or does my profile spell auto rejection?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roflhahalol)
    Hmm I don't have the best GCSE's mainly B's with 3 A's, but did pull off A*BB at a level and am retaking one of the B's in my gap 'yah' to raise it to an A.

Is it worth a try or does my profile spell auto rejection?
    Absolutely not, I've just looked it up and the offer is ABB, so you're well within reach.
    No matter what anyone says, they don't value GCSE's that highly.

Your personal statement and extra-curriculars are taken in high regard though, so make sure these are top notch.

Another thing to consider is that the Business course is on Queens Campus (look into this!) which isn't actually in Durham city, which is where most of the uni is based.
    There are mixed reviews about Queens, it hasn't got that 'Durham-ness' about it, it's more industrial, further out kinda.

Economics is in the city so you could look into that?
    Oh and what is the choice you're considering changing from? If you don't really want to go there, what have you got to lose by changing to Durham?
    If you're sure you're gonna get at least 2 other offers, give it a shot!

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely not, I've just looked it up and the offer is ABB, so you're well within reach.

Your personal statement and extra-curriculars are taken in high regard though, so make sure these are top notch.

Another thing to consider is that the Business course is on Queens Campus (look into this!) which isn't actually in Durham city, which is where most of the uni is based.
    There are mixed reviews about Queens, it hasn't got that 'Durham-ness' about it, it's more industrial, further out kinda.

Oh and what is the choice you're considering changing from? If you don't really want to go there, what have you got to lose by changing to Durham?
    Sorry to steal your thread OP, but would like an opinion from Smiling Rain.

I'm in a similar position to the OP, but much worse off academically, got BCC at A Level - I have mitigating circumstances which involved me taking a few months out of school during A2, but i've decided not to mention it on my UCAS due to my HOY saying it will disadvantage me, am retaking with a prediction of A*BB am aiming for A*AB aswell, got fairly good GCSE's mainly A's except for Maths which I flopped and got a C, which i'm retaking in March to boost to an B/A.

I haven't sent off my UCAS yet, Durhams a consideration aswell for Business, should I just write myself off with Durham even considering me when theres much better candidates out there who passed well first time?

AGain sorry to steal your thread OP :cool:

ReputationRep:

Thanks for the awesome advice, I will consider the points you've said and will get back to you. and n/p I<3Vans

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I<3Vans)

I'm in a similar position to the OP, but much worse off academically, got BCC at A Level - I have mitigating circumstances which involved me taking a few months out of school during A2, but i've decided not to mention it on my UCAS due to my HOY saying it will disadvantage me, am retaking with a prediction of A*BB am aiming for A*AB aswell, got fairly good GCSE's mainly A's except for Maths which I flopped and got a C, which i'm retaking in March to boost to an B/A.

I haven't sent off my UCAS yet, Durhams a consideration aswell for Business, should I just write myself off with Durham even considering me when theres much better candidates out there who passed well first time?

That maths GCSE will hit hard I'm afraid. Maybe put it as pending on your application?
    What subjects are your A-levels in? Why on Earth would it be suggested not to put down mitigating circumstances? :confused:

If you put all your grades as pending, and then your prediction is on your reference, you may well be fine.

It's totally up to you though, again even if it's an outside chance, if you're sure of places at your other uni's, consider it at least.

Do look into the uni though, don't just go with the highest ranked, go with you gut!
    This is probably a useless response, do ask more questions and I'll try to help!

ReputationRep:

you DEFINTELY need to tell them this...it won't disadvantage you at all, it will just explain why you didn't get the grades the 1st time round. (Unless you were in prison or something during those few months, not too sure how they'd view that!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    you DEFINTELY need to tell them this...it won't disadvantage you at all, it will just explain why you didn't get the grades the 1st time round. (Unless you were in prison or something during those few months, not too sure how they'd view that!)
    Lol not it wasn't being in prison, haha but I just had some personal difficulties, ended up in hospital for a few weeks IP.

Meh. I think i'll leave Durham out for now. Cheers for the advice though.

ReputationRep:
    Lol not it wasn't being in prison, haha but I just had some personal difficulties, ended up in hospital for a few weeks IP.

Meh. I think i'll leave Durham out for now. Cheers for the advice though.
    What?! No I didn't mean leave it out - and anyway you need to tell ALL your universities about your mitigating circumstances, it's really essential. Otherwise they'll just think you were lazy and didn't work hard for your A2s.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.