Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It is multiple choice, I know what the Answer is so please could you provide an explanation of the answer as I don't understand why thanks

Which one of the following statments about electric field Strength and electric potential is incorrect?

1. Electric Potential is a Scalar Quantity
    2. Electric Field Strength is a Vector Quantity
    3. Electric Potential is zero whenever electric field strength is zero
    4. The Potential Gradient is Proportinal to the electric field strength

Thanks, I wont say the answer because I want to be sure that people that give an answer truly understand it (and so hopefully give the right one)

Thanks for any help!

ReputationRep:
    its 3. simple

ReputationRep:
    I haven't done fields yet, but I think the answer is 2 - is that right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shortduct)
    I haven't done fields yet, but I think the answer is 2 - is that right?
    No.

ReputationRep:
    3 ?

ReputationRep:
    Could you please Explain why, The answer isn't important. I know it can be worked out by process of elimination (or just getting the correct answer) But I'd like to understand why

ReputationRep:
    Vaguely I think it is 3 because of the charged sphere thing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuantumOverlord)
    Could you please Explain why, The answer isn't important. I know it can be worked out by process of elimination (or just getting the correct answer) But I'd like to understand why
    The simple fact that Electric field is a vector quantity and electric potential is a scalar should answer your q.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rbnphlp)
    The simple fact that Electric field is a vector quantity and electric potential is a scalar should answer your q.
    Unfortuntely it doesnt :/

ReputationRep:
    It is multiple choice, I know what the Answer is so please could you provide an explanation of the answer as I don't understand why thanks

Which one of the following statments about electric field Strength and electric potential is incorrect?

Thanks, I wont say the answer because I want to be sure that people that give an answer truly understand it (and so hopefully give the right one)

Thanks for any help!
    Potential is a scalar, this is correct. EFS is a vector (think field lines), this is correct. Potential gradient is deltaV/deltaR; however EFS = -deltaV/deltaR so this is correct. The second last one is incorrect and hence the right answer.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortuntely it doesnt :/
    say if you had a electric field strenght of 0, but say 2 opposite charges of equal magnitude seperated by a distance r , the potential does not equal 0..(try some no's if you wish)

ReputationRep:

Thanks for any help!
    Google the faraday cage, it's a counterexample to (3).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farhan.Hanif93)
    Google the faraday cage, it's a counterexample to (3).
    3 is incorrect according to the markscheme from AQA, i.e. 3 is the correct answer.

E=Q/(4 x pi x epsilon x r^2)

There is no account of V in that equation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l4ith)
    3 is incorrect according to the markscheme from AQA, i.e. 3 is the correct answer.

E=Q/(4 x pi x epsilon x r^2)

There is no account of V in that equation.
    I said that it was a counterexample to (3) i.e. I was saying that statement (3) is incorrect.
    Statement (3) is the right answer to the question.

ReputationRep:
    I said that it was a counterexample to (3) i.e. I was saying that statement (3) is incorrect.
    Oh right yeah I agree with you then

ReputationRep:
    I guess he was referring to the previous deleted post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rbnphlp)
    I guess he was referring to the previous deleted post
    Damn, you saw it hahaha! :sigh:
    I think there was actually some confusion with the post he quoted of mine as there was a lot of ambiguity in it. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I am going to give a scientifically induced explanation and a simple explanation with an example.
    Scientifically:

Electric Field is related to potential as:

E=- \frac{dV}{dR}

E can only be zero if V is constant .

So what can be the possible condition as per above such that V is zero when E is zero? Is it possible? ..What are the possible conditions in which V can be zero?

Or simply:
    All theyre trying to say is that Electric field strength is a vector quantity and electric potential is a scalar quantity. Suppose you have an electric field strength of 0Vm^{-1} acting on a test charge by 2 charge particles of 1C and -1C. The electric potential in this case wouldnt be 0, it would be 2V.

ReputationRep:
    Damn, you saw it hahaha! :sigh:
    I think there was actually some confusion with the post he quoted of mine as there was a lot of ambiguity in it. :p:
    I just remembered the post so I didn't really read the other one close enough, sorry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l4ith)
    I just remembered the post so I didn't really read the other one close enough, sorry!
    No problem, an awkward-to-word answer normally results in confusion.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.