Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Some one help me plan a week long inter-rail trip? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I plan to go on a weeks Inter-rail trip in Feb. I will begin in Tirana, Albania and hope to end up as close to England as possible. I am considering either getting the Ferry from Durres to Italy and working my way up through central Europe or by getting the train into Greece and working my way either through the Balkans or the coast of the Adriatic to Prague, and then though Germany to Amsterdam (so I can indulge in that trade before Mr Wilders and co ban it for us tourists.

I desperately would like to visit Prague but other then that, I am fairly open minded. I plan to do a longer trip in the summer and since I am starting so far east of Europe, do you suggest that I keep to that side and do Western+Central Europe when I have more time? Also does anyone know what the weather will be like round that area in Feb?

Any other help/tips from any former inter-railers is also much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you're planning on spending the majority of time on a train rather than actually wandering around places, I'd rethink your planned route or spend much longer interrailing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malkmus)
    Unless you're planning on spending the majority of time on a train rather than actually wandering around places, I'd rethink your planned route or spend much longer interrailing.
    Well I am going to be visiting someone in Albania and I need to get back home to England. How do you suggest I amend my trip?

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Malkmus. I spent a month interrailing and only went to 4 countries. Perhaps just do some travelling around Albania, perhaps one other country, then fly back from there? It is definitely not enough time to do half of Europe like you suggest!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam_zed)
    Well I am going to be visiting someone in Albania and I need to get back home to England. How do you suggest I amend my trip?
    Maybe just visit 3 cities which are geographically close and book a flight from there back to England? I just think you're not going to enjoy the experience if you plan on travelling such huge distances in such a short period of time. You'll come back home feeling exhausted and probably feel as though you've been passing through and not really seen anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djk_99)
    I agree with Malkmus. I spent a month interrailing and only went to 4 countries. Perhaps just do some travelling around Albania, perhaps one other country, then fly back from there? It is definitely not enough time to do half of Europe like you suggest!
    Albania isnt in the EU so inter-rail doesnt cover it and by any means, bar Tirana, Durres and that old city in the south (all of which I plan to travel to anyway) there is nothing else to see in Albania unless I want to travel to the North and be kidnapped and trafficked to work in some grotty flat in Odessa as part of the sex trade (which isnt high on my agenda).

I think you are right though, maybe I was being a bit ambitious. I do want to explore at least one region and I have recently become interested in Balkan culture, but I also want to get to Amsterdam on the same trip to shmoke up before they ban it to tourists. However I really want to go to Athens, Dubrovnik and maybe see what Kosovo/Montenegro are like which all are on the other side of Europe. :/

Out of interest, where di you visit when you went Inter-railling?

ReputationRep:
    Albania isnt in the EU so inter-rail doesnt cover it and by any means, bar Tirana, Durres and that old city in the south (all of which I plan to travel to anyway) there is nothing else to see in Albania unless I want to travel to the North and be kidnapped and trafficked to work in some grotty flat in Odessa as part of the sex trade (which isnt high on my agenda).

I think you are right though, maybe I was being a bit ambitious. I do want to explore at least one region and I have recently become interested in Balkan culture, but I also want to get to Amsterdam on the same trip to shmoke up before they ban it to tourists. However I really want to go to Athens, Dubrovnik and maybe see what Kosovo/Montenegro are like which all are on the other side of Europe. :/

Out of interest, where di you visit when you went Inter-railling?
    I went to Berlin (Germany), Poznan, Warsaw, Krakow (Poland), Budapest (Hungary), Split and Dubrovnik (Croatia). We spent 3/4 days in each place, so ended up being just under a month.
    If Albania isn;t covered in the inter-rail pass, then don't get one? In eastern europe it's often cheaper to just buy tickets as you go anyway.
    To be honest you sound like you really need to do some more research, and perhaps look up journey times between cities. Doing the places you suggest in a week is not really viable.

ReputationRep:
    I went to Berlin (Germany), Poznan, Warsaw, Krakow (Poland), Budapest (Hungary), Split and Dubrovnik (Croatia). We spent 3/4 days in each place, so ended up being just under a month.
    If Albania isn;t covered in the inter-rail pass, then don't get one? In eastern europe it's often cheaper to just buy tickets as you go anyway.
    To be honest you sound like you really need to do some more research, and perhaps look up journey times between cities. Doing the places you suggest in a week is not really viable.
    They are 3 places and I really have no problem with staying a day or 2 in each. They are also right next to each other so how is my revised route not viable in 10 days?

What did you think of Krakow? Its one of my favourite places in Europe so far! What is Budapest like? And Dubrovnik is definitely somewhere I would love to go, but do you think it would still be nice weather wise in Feb?

ReputationRep:
    They are 3 places and I really have no problem with staying a day or 2 in each. They are also right next to each other so how is my revised route not viable in 10 days?

What did you think of Krakow? Its one of my favourite places in Europe so far! What is Budapest like? And Dubrovnik is definitely somewhere I would love to go, but do you think it would still be nice weather wise in Feb?
    Uh, Athens and Amsterdam are on the opposite sides of the continent! Do you have to start in Albania or can you go to it on the way? As Greece and Croatia are in the opposite directions to each other from Albania. Perhaps pick a direction. Unless you just want to spend your whole trip on trains and not in the destinations!
    I liked Krakow, lots of history and stuff to see. Budapest was great, had a really good vibe to it and we met some great people there. Loved the thermal baths too! Dubrovnik was also amazing, it was a nice relaxing place to end my trip in. No idea what the weather is like there in Feb, I was there in July and it was hot!

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I did a two and a half week interrail and stayed just in italy! in the first week we did two days in rome, two in florence, one in bologna and two in monterosso, up in the cinque terre region...7 days is not enough time to cross the continent and get off the trains for more than a few hours at a time surely...i'd say pick a smallish region such as germany poland and hungary and select a couple of cities to go to, but just beware of the timings...

also bear in mind that some 'express' trains charge surcharges on top of the interrail ticket- italy's eurostar service charged 10 euros surchage- cut the journey time by half so was well worth it, just something to remember as time's an issue for you!

ReputationRep:
    Tempted to do something similar to this so am subscribing here.

OP, if you in central Europe take a definite detour to Prague and Budapest... both are well worthy of a few days apiece :top:

ReputationRep:
    Uh, Athens and Amsterdam are on the opposite sides of the continent! Do you have to start in Albania or can you go to it on the way? As Greece and Croatia are in the opposite directions to each other from Albania. Perhaps pick a direction. Unless you just want to spend your whole trip on trains and not in the destinations!
    I liked Krakow, lots of history and stuff to see. Budapest was great, had a really good vibe to it and we met some great people there. Loved the thermal baths too! Dubrovnik was also amazing, it was a nice relaxing place to end my trip in. No idea what the weather is like there in Feb, I was there in July and it was hot!
    I'm aware of where Amsterdam is in comparison to Athens. I think you misunderstand me, I have abandoned any idea of going Amsterdam, its probably better when you are with mates anyway. Yeah I do have to start in Albania. Surely the journey wont take that long? It only took 5 hours to get from the top of Poland to Zakopane when I went?

ReputationRep:
    I'm aware of where Amsterdam is in comparison to Athens. I think you misunderstand me, I have abandoned any idea of going Amsterdam, its probably better when you are with mates anyway. Yeah I do have to start in Albania. Surely the journey wont take that long? It only took 5 hours to get from the top of Poland to Zakopane when I went?
    Well Krakow to Budapest was a night train (about 12 hours I think), and Budapest to Split was another night train (that one was about 16 hours). Try thinking out a route, checking out the train times, then replanning it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.