Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best way to revise for maths (apart from past papers)? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey so, Im gonna put my other notes away and get down to the final version of them. Whats the best way to revise? Doing all the questions out of the text book again?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Make up questions by yourself and check on WolframAlpha if answers are correct

If you've done all the questions in the textbook, and all the past papers, is there any need to do revision?

ReputationRep:
      Well, the best way is to do past papers (of which there are many of many different examination boards). Why would you settle for anything less? :P

ReputationRep:
      I wrote all the formulas / important points when solving problems out on que cards and went through them. After doing loads of past papers its amazing how many you know

ReputationRep:
      Yeah, the best way is to definitely do all the past papers..
      If you've done all that.. Repeat them?
      Maths is just practice, practice, practice

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Kolya)
      If you've done all the questions in the textbook, and all the past papers, is there any need to do revision?
      This.

ReputationRep:
      tbh maths doesn't need 'revision' like, for example, biology where everything is memorising.

Just know your stuff and have the intuition to think differently.

But to answer your question directly, I would solve problems that are a bit more difficult and stretch a little beyond the syllabus, that way you can feel like the real exam is an easier version of what you did at home.

4-5 days before the exam sit every single solomon paper one after the other and mark it out of 1125 marks. (basically bringing all the 75 marks together and treat it like one exam). That way you can build the mental stamina to actually sit the paper (1 and a half hours is a long time and you are in danger of making silly errors). This problem of mental strength is overcome because you sat a multitude of difficult papers consecutively, 1 and a half hours won't make you feel tired or passive in the exam. Drink water at the same time.

if you can't do all the solomon papers in one go, at least try 3 or 4 of them.

Now that's a challenge and a good one

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ilyking)

4-5 days before the exam sit every single solomon paper one after the other and mark it out of 1125 marks.

You do realise there are atleast 12 solomon papers and sitting them all would take 18 hours? :bricks:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ElMoro)
      You do realise there are atleast 12 solomon papers and sitting them all would take 18 hours? :bricks:
      well depends on what module for c1 there are 12, for other modules I think it differs

ReputationRep:
      tbh maths doesn't need 'revision' like, for example, biology where everything is memorising.

Just know your stuff and have the intuition to think differently.

But to answer your question directly, I would solve problems that are a bit more difficult and stretch a little beyond the syllabus, that way you can feel like the real exam is an easier version of what you did at home.

4-5 days before the exam sit every single solomon paper one after the other and mark it out of 1125 marks. (basically bringing all the 75 marks together and treat it like one exam). That way you can build the mental stamina to actually sit the paper (1 and a half hours is a long time and you are in danger of making silly errors). This problem of mental strength is overcome because you sat a multitude of difficult papers consecutively, 1 and a half hours won't make you feel tired or passive in the exam. Drink water at the same time.

if you can't do all the solomon papers in one go, at least try 3 or 4 of them.

Now that's a challenge and a good one
      ok excuse me if i sound stupid here but wth is a solomon paper?

ReputationRep:
      well depends on what module for c1 there are 1, for other modules I think it differs
      No, for edexcel and OCR C1 the there are papers A-L and it is the same for all core modules. Not sure about mech and stats.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ElMoro)
      No, for edexcel and OCR C1 the there are papers A-L and it is the same for all core modules. Not sure about mech and stats.
      sorry. typo error, I meant 12 papers for c1, i think

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by humy369)
      ok excuse me if i sound stupid here but wth is a solomon paper?
      specially written exam papers (not official) that have increased difficulty.

you have to pay for it though, but you can get it free from freeexampapers.com

if you can tackle a solomon paper, you can tackle pretty much any official paper

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.