The Student Room Group

SMELLY flatmate

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
well if he showers and stuff but still smells, he might not be able to help it - maybe just talk to him? something like

I'd just say "look, I don't wanna be mean but you kinda smell, it's not THAT bad but it's noticable and it's not just me who can smell it, I just thought i'd tell you so you can do something about it"

and see what he says?
and least you're not being mean :smile:
My brother has this issue. Speak to him nicely and ask him to make more of an effort to stay clean and wear clean clothes.

If it is a perspiration issue there is a very good antiperspirant in Boots that he can try. He probably knows he has a problem and bullying him is not fair. After all it may not be his fault.
Original post by Anonymous
ok my flatmate is quite possibly the worst smelling thing in existence. theres 5 of us in our flat and we've all gradually become overcome by the smell. he can be in the other room and the smell will infiltrate through doors..walls...streets

:soap:

the strangest of all is that he's had a girlfriend for years, i dont understand how she can go anywhere near him. he smells like he's rotting inside. he was gonna live with her but she moved into halls, so we're definitely stuck with him for another year at least.

how does one go about bringing it up in the least horrible way? he's pretty stubborn so might not even do anything about it.

anyone else suffer the same problem?

Why are you posting this like hours before christmas eve ? Isn't everyone at home ?

On a side note I would just put it bluntley to him. Seriously if you smelt bad wouldn't you wanna know about it ? Does he shower out of interest ? If he showers like once a day maybe it's not his fault he smells bad ?

Kudos to him for still getting a girlfriend. Saying that even if my gf told me she would stay with me no matter the smell I would still shower because I can't stand the ''Icky'' feeling of beign dirty.
Reply 43
Original post by Anonymous

also, after he showers. he still smells...so maybe it is a medical problem

He still smells because he is wearing the same clothes after the shower, what a pig. We had the same problem with a guy in our lectures, thank God he didn't show up often otherwise the whole lecture theatre would be empty.
Original post by iqlu
You mean water. :colonhash:

well obviously - however water from the snow would be a lot of colder than water out of a tap and therefore a greater shock
Reply 45
Bad personal hygiene - wearing the same clothes for days etc. can be a symptom of depression - it's still best to come straight out and tell him though.
Either he's got a medical condition or he's not showering properly
I don't even understand how people allow themselves to smell like this! Do they have no pride in themselves at all?
Reply 48
Original post by Gemma :)!
I don't even understand how people allow themselves to smell like this! Do they have no pride in themselves at all?

If it's depression then maybe not.

I wonder if he started off the year stinking and continued to stink at a constant level or if he started out smelling pretty normal and let the stink build up over time... if the latter then there's no way it's a bona-fide genetic condition making him stink imo (that's a chance in a million shot anyway).
Reply 49
For **** sake just tell him, Not that bloody hard.
Easiest solution would be to have sex with him.
As he is your flatmate. I assume he is your friend. As a friend I think it is better you tell him quietly in a private and sensible manner. Do not beat around the bush but do not be harsh ,nasty or brutal. Just explain to him like this : "Hi *name* I and a few other people may have noticed that you have a slight problem with your body odor. Now im not saying you smell like **** or anything but it is quite unpleasant. I say this as I do not want you to become ostracised for this. I hope you understand"

There was someone in my school who had a B.O problem. We unfortunately stuck with it.

People cant stand being around me. This is because I am said to do overkill with the fragrences and spray's. Not that I smell but you know too many lovely smells can annoy others too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending