Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to decide which laptop to buy. I basically know what I want, but am having difficulty in deciding between a couple.

I want something for under £700 with a decent processor and memory. I'd also like it to be as light as possible and 14" or smaller.

I've found a couple which seem to fit the bill, but I don't know much about laptops and the differences between makes.

These are the two I'm currently looking at

http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Laptops/buy...-Laptop/688576

or

http://h40059.www4.hp.com/uk/homelap...erience=direct

There is a bit of price difference with the second one being about £150 more than the first. The one thing that concerns me about the first laptop is the buttons- they seems kind of odd and raised as opposed to being sent into a proper keyboard, does this make much difference?

The main things I want to do with it are for uni- I'm in the last year of my undergraduate and will be (hopefully) goijg onto an MA and phD in a few years so I need it for research and assignments as opposed to playing games or editing movies etc.

Whats the difference between HP and Samsung in terms of durability and performance? I've had my current laptop for 5 years and would be hoping that the new one would last a similar length of time.

Also, when people say about don't use PC World- why?

Any help would be great- thanks.

ReputationRep:
    the keyboard layout shouldn't make much difference, but it's relative to the user. If it's too uncomfortable to type, then it wouldn't make sense buying it.

Also, the HP model is more expensive IMO since it has better specs. And PC World IMO is *******s since the independent computer stores sell exact goods at far cheaper prices. PC World fleece people who don't know much about computers because of this, and IMO that's not on.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.