Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is this a bad choice of subjects for finance/accounting?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 12 and currently doing maths, psychology, biology and chemistry at AS level, and planning to drop psychology next year. Is this a bad choice of subjects for finance/accounting in uni, considering I would like to be an accountant
    I was worried that uni's prefer students who have done further maths or economics and I have only done one relevant subject. I only took bio and chem because they personally interest me and I was originally thinking of going into psychology but changed my mind just before starting sixth form (at this point I also tried to swap biology for economics but all the classes were full). I probably wouldn't want a career in science though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmaD96)
    I'm in year 12 and currently doing maths, psychology, biology and chemistry at AS level, and planning to drop psychology next year. Is this a bad choice of subjects for finance/accounting in uni, considering I would like to be an accountant
    I was worried that uni's prefer students who have done further maths or economics and I have only done one relevant subject. I only took bio and chem because they personally interest me and I was originally thinking of going into psychology but changed my mind just before starting sixth form (at this point I also tried to swap biology for economics but all the classes were full). I probably wouldn't want a career in science though.
    Nope, it's a good set. Maybe further maths is preferable but as long as it's not a requirement you should be fine!

Maths relates and shows number/math confidence/competence directly.
    The others are well respected.

Don't forget it's not always the subject content,- BUT THE SKILLS you acquire and develop.

ReputationRep:
    if you didn't want a career in science, why take 3 science subjects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheProdigy2k9)
    if you didn't want a career in science, why take 3 science subjects?

1. I didn't really have a choice considering there were no spaces left for economics and my GCSE grade wasn't good enough for the school to allow me to take f. maths (I got an A even though I was one mark off an A*)
    2. I ENJOY science
    3. I'm crap at humanities/arts subjects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super.teve)
    Nope, it's a good set. Maybe further maths is preferable but as long as it's not a requirement you should be fine!

Maths relates and shows number/math confidence/competence directly.
    The others are well respected.

Don't forget it's not always the subject content,- BUT THE SKILLS you acquire and develop.
    Thanks I've heard that science subjects show logic/analytical skills and are therefore good for going into finance, it was really the lack of economics/further maths I was worried about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmaD96)
    Thanks I've heard that science subjects show logic/analytical skills and are therefore good for going into finance, it was really the lack of economics/further maths I was worried about
    As long as there are no specific requirements set out by the university, then no, it wont be a problem.

Science subjects are hard and are seen as some of the hardest A level subjects too!

ReputationRep:
    you only need maths.. the rest will be taught when you get to uni, they will assume everyone can work with numbers and go from there.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the others that you should be fine with just Maths.
    To try and reassure you, my friend has just received offers from all 5 of her choices for Accounting degrees and she studies Maths, Chemistry and ICT.
    I guess if you are aiming for the top universities, then they might have a preference/requirement for Further Maths, but it is unlikely and if you would like to reassure yourself, then just go and check for their requirements on their websites

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.