Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm new!,

I want to do higher chemistry next year, want to do medicine, however I'm not amazing at maths:rolleyes: long, depressing story to explain why, but I got a 4

I've spoke to doctors during work experience and they said the maths used by doctors is 'calculator stuff' nothing difficult, so that reassured me! however I've heard loads saying " you need be quite good maths" not directly at me, don't know my grades or that, for higher chemistry so I want to know what the maths in chemistry is like

Thanks, and have a lovely christmas everyone

ReputationRep:
    Never took the subject but the gist I got from my friends was it's generally 'calculatory' stuff like equations. It obviously helps if you've got a good grounding in maths as you will make less silly mistakes but I don't think it'd be life or death.

ReputationRep:
    Well, there's almost none in Unit 2 - the only thing really is percentage yield calculations, which are fairly simple.
    In Unit 1, there's nothing too complicated in the first part, but then there's something about Avogadro's constant that we haven't got to yet and it's apparently quite mathsy.
    I have no idea about Unit 3.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you mean by maths. There are calculations such as excess and enthalpy. But if you understand the chemistry behind the ideas then you should be fine since it's just putting values in a calculator.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bjd11)
    Hi I'm new!,

I want to do higher chemistry next year, want to do medicine, however I'm not amazing at maths:rolleyes: long, depressing story to explain why, but I got a 4

I've spoke to doctors during work experience and they said the maths used by doctors is 'calculator stuff' nothing difficult, so that reassured me! however I've heard loads saying " you need be quite good maths" not directly at me, don't know my grades or that, for higher chemistry so I want to know what the maths in chemistry is like

Thanks, and have a lovely christmas everyone
    Hi there

First of all you definitely do not need Higher or Adv Higher Maths to do medicine, if you have a look here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...ttish_Students

Higher chemistry requires you to have a reasonable understanding of mathematics when it comes to stoichiometry calculations in S6 for example. But that doesn't mean that getting a 4 in maths will necessarily hold you back.

Hope that helped a bit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soup)
    Depends what you mean by maths. There are calculations such as excess and enthalpy. But if you understand the chemistry behind the ideas then you should be fine since it's just putting values in a calculator.
    :ditto:

Exactly this. It's mostly getting your head round what's going on in reactions.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.