Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

work experience references... Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay. So I have none (I MIGHT have one, if I can find it.) And, very high chance of me not being able to get them; aside from that reference, it's been a while since I've done non-personal-farm-work...I'm a graduate entry, see. I've been working at my own farm when I'm home...ugh what a mess.

I haven't heard from Liverpool yet, but I'm half hoping I get rejected because I don't have any work experience references and I think the embarrassment would drop me. Kind of stressed! I have work experience planned for april but that's after the interview time so great. I didn't even realize I needed references; I probably should have assumed but... apparently I didn't!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Work at your own farm doesn't count I believe.

Is there any chance you could ring up old places to ask for a reference? Why do you say that's impossible if you've not tried? At Liv you need 5 different ones from SA vet, LA vet, small animal establishment, farm, and the other I can't remember.

I still don't understand why you wish to be rejected to avoid embarrassment! Surely that isn't a valid reason for wanting to be rejected; you can't avoid embarrassment everywhere you go. Most people, even those without proper refs, would be thrilled to have an interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doubleohseven)
    Okay. So I have none (I MIGHT have one, if I can find it.) And, very high chance of me not being able to get them; aside from that reference, it's been a while since I've done non-personal-farm-work...I'm a graduate entry, see. I've been working at my own farm when I'm home...ugh what a mess.

I haven't heard from Liverpool yet, but I'm half hoping I get rejected because I don't have any work experience references and I think the embarrassment would drop me. Kind of stressed! I have work experience planned for april but that's after the interview time so great. I didn't even realize I needed references; I probably should have assumed but... apparently I didn't!
    Depending on where you apply you don't explicitly need references, the admissions tutors are quite adept at corroborating your story based on what you've said in your PS or in your responses to interview questions. When I applied none of the places I applied to were particularly interested (if at all) with my references.

If it worries you that much get back in touch with the places you've worked at, most places will remember you personally even if it's been a good few years and most decent people will still be happy to write you a reference given the work you've done for them in the past. If you're a bit shaky about the actual dates don't worry as long as it's representative of what you did.

You can do little to change what has already happened - move on and focus on your other interviews.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SilverstarDJ)
    Is there any chance you could ring up old places to ask for a reference? Why do you say that's impossible if you've not tried? At Liv you need 5 different ones from SA vet, LA vet, small animal establishment, farm, and the other I can't remember.
    t'other one is equine.

doubleohseven, i'm assuming you're a horsey person from your signature, do you have someone at an old yard or riding school that might give you a reference?

ReputationRep:
    I realise that work on my own farm doesn't count; I pointed out that that was the only stuff I've done, animal related, in quite some time. Hence my dismay

Depressingly, I also kept my horse on my farm until recently - which doesn't count. I already asked my yard owner if she could give me a reference...but, as I do not work there, she said no,accompanied with a funny look. The riding school I used to work at no longer exists, neither does my more recent small animal placement (or at least, it seems to have changed name and moved, since I can't see it getitng shut down. FANFREAKINGTASTIC.) I can't get through to my recent large animal placement (I tried sporadically throughout yesterday...i think my only shot at getting a reference is from there.) I do not want to turn up to an interview with no references if there's zero chance of me getting an offer...it seems like a waste of a day, and would be an entirely disheartening experience. Nice experience and all, but I do have an offer from Edinburgh.

(Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    Depending on where you apply you don't explicitly need references, the admissions tutors are quite adept at corroborating your story based on what you've said in your PS or in your responses to interview questions. When I applied none of the places I applied to were particularly interested (if at all) with my references.
    Unfortunately I think Liverpool require the references? I've been rejected from Nottingham, offer from Edinburgh, and nothing from RVC yet - though I know that the RVC does not require references.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Alternatively you could ring up the Uni and ask whether you have absolutely no chance of getting in without those references.

Although if you just want to go with your other offer you could just reject the interview from Liv as it sounds you can't really be bothered with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SilverstarDJ)
    Alternatively you could ring up the Uni and ask whether you have absolutely no chance of getting in without those references.

Although if you just want to go with your other offer you could just reject the interview from Liv as it sounds you can't really be bothered with it.
    ...because I don't want to go to the interview and make an idiot out of myself? I'm going to call them after Christmas, but I do feel pretty defeated. I'm furious at myself for not asking for references, the website makes it sound like they are very important.

... maybe they won't care so much since they are robbing me blind, being a graduate entry. Perhaps they want the money more I actually do want to go to Liverpool more than Edinburgh because if they offer me a four-year course at Liv, I could save £15,000. But, I am trying to convince myself that it's no big loss, so I can actually just enjoy Christmas and do my revision, instead of being wound so tightly like I am at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    When i had my interview last year with them in the documents they sent me it said that if you didn't have a reference for a particular placement you could write a cover letter explaining why you don't have one, two etc. (not sure about this year, but if you don't have them you don't have them and if you do get an interview it'd definitely be worth a letter explaining your troubles in getting them rather than just giving in nothing)

no-one really knows how important references are to them, sure they ask for them but who knows how big a part they play. they grade you weak, average and strong at each station at interview, so if you got 7 strongs for example i'd find it hard to believe they'd reject you on the basis of a few missing references. you also hand your references into reception before the interview, and they're not used during the interviews themselves (based on my experience last year), so if you're embarrassed thinking the interviewers would question you about the lack of references etc, this is likely not the case.

Do ring Liverpool though, as they will tell you exactly where they stand on the references xx

ReputationRep:
    and also i really would phone up some of the places you've been, explain how important the reference is to you even though it may have been a long time ago.

i've rang up places a year or so after i've been (pre-interview panic last year lol) and they were all happy to write me one (except 1). it can be hard but in the politest way you possibly can really do push for them.

is there also no possibility you could squeeze in a weekend or two at a cattery or kennels at some point? (essentially for the reference) as this would cover the cat/dog husbandary section of Liverpools reference requirements,, may not take a lot of time organising and might be able to take you in the v near futurexx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmaaa..)
    and also i really would phone up some of the places you've been, explain how important the reference is to you even though it may have been a long time ago.

i've rang up places a year or so after i've been (pre-interview panic last year lol) and they were all happy to write me one (except 1). it can be hard but in the politest way you possibly can really do push for them.

is there also no possibility you could squeeze in a weekend or two at a cattery or kennels at some point? (essentially for the reference) as this would cover the cat/dog husbandary section of Liverpools reference requirements,, may not take a lot of time organising and might be able to take you in the v near futurexx
    I'm hoping I can get through to my LA Vet - that's at least one, right? Haha. Oh Lord.

I'll have to see what I can do about fitting in a weekend, but unfortunately, I'm also balancing a job during my semesters to help towards financing the vet med dream. If I don't work, I quite possibly won't be able to go anyway - this is so frustrating!

I'll just have to explain. And beg. And if I get an interview without references, I'll just have to suck it up and deal with it, and be as charming as I can be xD

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.