Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is this the right place? Let's see..

I want to access a journal, this one: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...008.x/abstract

But it's acting rubbish..

It says I have to login, I login with my 'institutional login'. Now it says: "You are logged in via your institution", so it should be okay for me to access the journal, amirite?

So I click 'get PDF', and it takes me back to the bloody login page!!! :mad:And the option to 'login via your institution', so I click on that, and it takes me to a page where I have to 'select institution' to choose it... I click that, and it takes me BAM back to the homepage, still logged in, still utterly unable to access the journal (just repeats the process).

WhatamIdoingwrong? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Does your university offer a VPN? This just routes all your internet through the uni computers so you should be able to get on all the journal sites without needing to login. Try looking on your uni's website for info.

ReputationRep:
    I go through my uni's library page to access journals. Your uni must have something. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inversion)
    Does your university offer a VPN? This just routes all your internet through the uni computers so you should be able to get on all the journal sites without needing to login. Try looking on your uni's website for info.
    Oh, I'm at my parents atm.

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried logging in via Athens?

https://athens-xap.stu.qmul.ac.uk/

ReputationRep:
    I had this problem when I tried to access some research papers; I found it happened because the papers I needed weren't available via instituition login (and had to be paid for separately). Are you sure you can access by instituition?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Oh, I'm at my parents atm.
    Does your uni have anything like Desktop Anywhere? If it does, try logging via that.

I had tons of trouble accessing journals last week, but didn't figure out how in the end. So it might not work, but it's worth a try

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Have you tried logging in via Athens?

https://athens-xap.stu.qmul.ac.uk/
    This journal isn't listed in QM library though, it's just an article I found referenced somewhere else, in a journal that I'm fairly sure we're subscribed too.

ReputationRep:
    This journal isn't listed in QM library though, it's just an article I found referenced somewhere else, in a journal that I'm fairly sure we're subscribed too.
    Well...I just tried logging in (from campus) but it won't let me download it either, even via Athens, which normally works. And if the Library hasn't listed the journal, that makes me think we're not subscribed to it

Can you ask your friends who go to other unis if they can download it and email it to you?

ReputationRep:
    Well...I just tried logging in (from campus) but it won't let me download it either, even via Athens, which normally works. And if the Library hasn't listed the journal, that makes me think we're not subscribed to it

Can you ask your friends who go to other unis if they can download it and email it to you?
    Ah. Maybe we're not.. damn cheap skate uni. :mad:

Yeah I'll have a look, or see if my tutor can access it for me. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    If you tell me what the article and journal is I can try getting it and email it to you if it works :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Ah. Maybe we're not.. damn cheap skate uni. :mad:

Yeah I'll have a look, or see if my tutor can access it for me. :rolleyes:
    Hah, I had similar problems a while back

Using Athens allowed me to access the articles away from the library, but that's cause we were subscribed to the journals in the first place. In your case, I'm guessing we aren't.

It's Christmas, shouldn't you be at Mass or something? Forget about work :p:

ReputationRep:
    Hah, I had similar problems a while back

Using Athens allowed me to access the articles away from the library, but that's cause we were subscribed to the journals in the first place. In your case, I'm guessing we aren't.

It's Christmas, shouldn't you be at Mass or something? Forget about work :p:
    Lol, mass is tomorrow and this isn't due until March so I can just take my time with it I guess. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    login to the Library webpage and hit the 'athens' button gives you access to the institutional subscription from home (or any other PC) at our place.

They subscribe to some journals for a recent period only, say 'for the last 10 years' - I had one from 2000 that was useful but the subscription timed out on me before I'd finished using it - I should have downloaded the PDF to my USB stick while I had the chance.

There might be an index page somewhere around the libraries website that shows you exactly what issues of which journals your institution has subscribed for - otherwise it's a lucky dip afaict.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.