Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do you think of my novel idea? Watch

Announcements

Ok so I've just finished writing a novel last month and I've been playing around with a few ideas for my next one and this is the one I kind of got hooked on but I wanted to get a few opinions before I go too far since it's not like anything I've ever written before.

Ok.

It's the mid-2030s and the world is experiencing a financial down-turn just like the one in the late 2000s and the mid-2020s except this one is much worse. A city lies directly in the path of the economic destruction and that city is Mariehamn. When the Aland Islands became independent from Sweden in 2021 they became the world's foremost tax haven, as Dubai and the Middle-East waned in the face of peak-oil a gleaming city was built to give a new home to the world's major financial services.

Now though the banks begin to collapse, the offices are gradually emptying and the streets have become quieter and quieter. After 3 years of slow strangulation the island's glass towers and sprawling shopping malls lay empty, the airport plays host to only a few flights every day and the majority of people left on the island are emigrants too poor to return back to their home countries.

My novel will be about how the society works to reform in the wake of such phenomenal change and how the fabric of the city changes as self-sufficiency becomes the key to rebuilding a working economy. The floors of opulent office blocks become farms, the neatly manicured parks give way to fields of sheep and once again the canals buzz with life.

___

I don't know. I need a plot, that will have to come, obviously this is just the background so I'll have a protagonist to wind the story through this setting but I think it's quite original and since I'm not a left-winger it's not going to turn into a preachy polemic about the financial crisis. I imagine Mariehamn as a Scandinavian Dubai basically.

Any thoughts. "It's utter droll" is expected before you even post it.

ReputationRep:
    Do a preachy polemic about the financial crisis. Social commentary is always necessary.

(Original post by Norfolkadam)
      Ok so I've just finished writing a novel last month and I've been playing around with a few ideas for my next one and this is the one I kind of got hooked on but I wanted to get a few opinions before I go too far since it's not like anything I've ever written before.

Ok.

It's the mid-2030s and the world is experiencing a financial down-turn just like the one in the late 2000s and the mid-2020s except this one is much worse. A city lies directly in the path of the economic destruction and that city is Mariehamn. When the Aland Islands became independent from Sweden in 2021 they became the world's foremost tax haven, as Dubai and the Middle-East waned in the face of peak-oil a gleaming city was built to give a new home to the world's major financial services.

Now though the banks begin to collapse, the offices are gradually emptying and the streets have become quieter and quieter. After 3 years of slow strangulation the island's glass towers and sprawling shopping malls lay empty, the airport plays host to only a few flights every day and the majority of people left on the island are emigrants too poor to return back to their home countries.

My novel will be about how the society works to reform in the wake of such phenomenal change and how the fabric of the city changes as self-sufficiency becomes the key to rebuilding a working economy. The floors of opulent office blocks become farms, the neatly manicured parks give way to fields of sheep and once again the canals buzz with life.

___

I don't know. I need a plot, that will have to come, obviously this is just the background so I'll have a protagonist to wind the story through this setting but I think it's quite original and since I'm not a left-winger it's not going to turn into a preachy polemic about the financial crisis. I imagine Mariehamn as a Scandinavian Dubai basically.

Sounds something along the lines of King's The Stand except it was started by a government-created virus. :yep: In fact seeing as you are writing something quite like it, I'd definitely recommend it to you to read.

Btw, what's up with the bookshop you were planning to open in Norfolk?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Norfolkadam)

Ok.

___

What was your last novel about? Have you published it yet?

ReputationRep:
      Brilliant idea for a novel

way to write a ****ing awful book

ReputationRep:
      I'd very much enjoy that. Hope you publish something along the lines of that. Good luck.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.