Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Basically last year, I met this guy off TSR. After a while, we got together but now it's getting to the point where it's ruining my life. Not in a particularly bad way but still.

I can't concentrate on anything, least of all my urgent university revision, because I'm thinking of him. It takes me ages to sleep at night. When I wake up in the morning, I drift off into daydreams meaning that I wake up at least three hours later than planned. Even when I sit on the toilet, I just linger there for up to half an hour because I get carried away. You'd think these were all typical symptoms of a crush but we've actually been together for 10 months already.

I tried overloading myself by staying with him for 16 days in a row. As soon as I left, I wanted to go back again. Just a few hours apart feels like ages!

Clearly, we end up communicating a lot through Facebook, Skype, phonecalls and texts.

Fyi, I'm not one of those typical clingy girls (I'm not usually that interested in guys) and it's not entirely onesided (although obviously I'm a lot lot worse than him).

But I don't want to fail uni because of this, why am I feeling like this and what do I do to distract myself??!

TLDR: Boyfriend is consuming my thoughts, can't revise, what can I do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Basically last year, I met this guy off TSR. After a while, we got together but now it's getting to the point where it's ruining my life. Not in a particularly bad way but still.

I can't concentrate on anything, least of all my urgent university revision, because I'm thinking of him. It takes me ages to sleep at night. When I wake up in the morning, I drift off into daydreams meaning that I wake up at least three hours later than planned. Even when I sit on the toilet, I just linger there for up to half an hour because I get carried away. You'd think these were all typical symptoms of a crush but we've actually been together for 10 months already.

I tried overloading myself by staying with him for 16 days in a row. As soon as I left, I wanted to go back again. Just a few hours apart feels like ages!

Clearly, we end up communicating a lot through Facebook, Skype, phonecalls and texts.

Fyi, I'm not one of those typical clingy girls (I'm not usually that interested in guys) and it's not entirely onesided (although obviously I'm a lot lot worse than him).

But I don't want to fail uni because of this, why am I feeling like this and what do I do to distract myself??!

Have you tried to have a sexual intercourse?

(Original post by Life_peer)
    Have you tried to have a sexual intercourse?
    Lol, erm yeah but tbh that actually makes it worse, right?

ReputationRep:
    I seriously wonder wonder how the heck does that happen o_O

(Original post by dalo)
    I seriously wonder wonder how the heck does that happen o_O
    Does what happen?

I need HELP mate not questioning!

ReputationRep:
    I fail to see what's the problem? :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Have sex with him.

ReputationRep:
    Get off TSR.

(Original post by lonely14)
    I fail to see what's the problem? :erm:
    There's no problem with the actual relationship, I just meant that it's affecting my daily life and may possibly be detrimental to me academically (and potentially socially regarding other friendships?).

(Original post by boromir9111)
    Get off TSR.
    But I love TSR.

Even if I sign out, I still have this infatuation type problem in the OP to tackle! Moar suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    There's no problem with the actual relationship, I just meant that it's affecting my daily life and may possibly be detrimental to me academically (and potentially socially regarding other friendships?).
    Try talking to him about this, that you need some personal space. There is no point asking us, as only you two can come up with a mutual and suitable solution.

ReputationRep:

You clearly are.

ReputationRep:
    But I love TSR.

Even if I sign out, I still have this infatuation type problem in the OP to tackle! Moar suggestions?
    hmmmm.......it is a problem indeed.....but you gotta ask yourself what is more important, a fling or your education/future? getting somewhere in life and more than likely something that will end in few months? maybe a year if you're lucky!

ReputationRep:

Well, shut down all social networking sites and break your computer by pouring hot coffee/tea/smashing it with your fists or a hammer and then you'll be forced to sit down and read/study at your desk!

(Original post by Arcanine)
    You clearly are.
    Yes, now I am. But it's not a personality trait of mine. As in, I don't really ring up my friends or initiate contact with them etc. Never been so....uncontrollable...as this. It's pathetic. I do know. Just wanted tips from anyone who's gotten over this phase, I suppose

(Original post by JAZZA007)
    Well, shut down all social networking sites and break your computer by pouring hot coffee/tea/smashing it with your fists or a hammer and then you'll be forced to sit down and read/study at your desk!
    It's got nothing to do with computers. I'm with him in real life. Lol. Smashing my computer will mean I can't access internet materials for revision and will not stop me thinking of/being distracted by him!

ReputationRep:
    It's got nothing to do with computers. I'm with him in real life. Lol. Smashing my computer will mean I can't access internet materials for revision and will not stop me thinking of/being distracted by him!
    I see, I was trying for the funny angle for the positive rep. A trial separation period just for the exams perhaps, that is, if you have complete trust in each other, then this would work. Either that or change phone numbers/email addresses and dont tell each other!

ReputationRep:
    I have bad news for you ......... ................ I'm afraid it's incurable:puppyeyes:

(Original post by JAZZA007)
    I see, I was trying for the funny angle for the positive rep. A trial separation period just for the exams perhaps, that is, if you have complete trust in each other, then this would work. Either that or change phone numbers/email addresses and dont tell each other!
    You just got some pointless rep from me then.
    Trial separation is an idea - hoped it wouldn't have to come to that!
    It's not just the contact issue, it's more the thoughts/easily distracted/can't concentrate issue!

So many people must have gone through the same problem, surely, come on! Where are all the stupid teenagers??

(Original post by ussumane)
    Have sex with him.
    I'm 15 and i have the same problem, does this really help?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 26, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.