Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which has more power at the moment: atheism/secularism or religion? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm honestly not sure.

Although more and more people seem to be leaving religion, the role religion has on the state seems to be getting stronger: proliferation of faith schools, religious hate speech legislation, the government being committed to religion, etc.

So which one do you think has more power at the moment? And what about the future?

ReputationRep:
    I honestly don't care.

ReputationRep:
    Id' say secularism is growing, but religion still has a strong voice.

I think both have a legitimate place, though.

ReputationRep:
    The greater influences of religion you outlined are a result of political correctness culture more than anything else. Secularism is developing all the time and I will be very surprised if religion is half as dominant in 10 years time.

ReputationRep:
    This is a version of top trumps I wasn't even aware existed!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    When is the last time a group of atheists flew planes into a building in the name of their own skepticism of God?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    When is the last time a group of atheists flew planes into a building in the name of their own skepticism of God?
    So you're saying religion does have power...?

ReputationRep:
    Religion is still preeminent, but atheism is slowly becoming more and more prevalent

(Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
      So you're saying religion does have power...?
      :toofunny:

How did you draw that conclusion?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Aj12)
      haha people still believe this...

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Aj12)
      This argument fails, there have been atheist extremists in the past.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
      I'm honestly not sure.

Although more and more people seem to be leaving religion, the role religion has on the state seems to be getting stronger: proliferation of faith schools, religious hate speech legislation, the government being committed to religion, etc.

So which one do you think has more power at the moment? And what about the future?
      Religion has the most influence on individuals not just in British society but in the world- true story.

I'm gonna have to agree with postmodernists, religion within society is not declining however there are changes made as society develops.

although there has been evidence for secularisation in recent years and an increase in atheism, i think i read article about 46% of people in britian being atheist.

jheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Lord Hysteria)
      :toofunny:

How did you draw that conclusion?
      Have you quite finished?

(Original post by JCC-MGS)
        You mean to say people driven to commit acts of violence and so forth because their atheism compelled them?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Lord Hysteria)
        You mean to say people driven to commit acts of violence and so forth because their atheism compelled them?
        Yes.

ReputationRep:
        If you look at the whole world, religion is still dominant.

ReputationRep:
        Religion, unfortunately.

Yes.
          I'm assuming your knowledge goes beyond simple "yes" and "no" answers?

ReputationRep:
          This may just be me....but I don't like the use of the word "power" in this context. "Influence" may be a better word, and in that sense it's religion.

The last time I checked, atheism didn't start a war against another country over which book to believe in. (Before you all start trolling, I'm just offering my opinion!)

ReputationRep:
          Yes but no atheists led to extreme actions in the name of atheism, unlike many theists.
          Sir, your argument fails. :top2:

Submit reply
        TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 29, 2010
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
        Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.