Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is legal driving age going to be raised? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have heard of many rumours that the minimum driving age is going to be raised I am seventeen and I want to start driving lessons post-January so I would just to know everyones' opinions.

ReputationRep:
    It is already 17 :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    No it isnt. Just the theory test is changing next year

ReputationRep:
    No it won't be.

Tbh 17 is fine... old enough.

ReputationRep:
    This old rumour has been going round for years. No, the legal driving age will not be increased. People have been saying this since the '80s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bern Roberts)
    This old rumour has been going round for years. No, the legal driving age will not be increased. People have been saying this since the '80s
    The only realistic opportunity was missed with the 1997 licence and test changes , as 17 is derogation from the EU standard of 18 ....

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm aware they're not going to. Besides even if they were going to they'd have to commission a report etc. etc, produce the bill, pass the bill, second reading etc, basically it would take ages and even if they were going to, it wouldn't be put in place for months.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your opinions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benammieh)
    No it isnt. Just the theory test is changing next year
    Oh, in what way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandys1000)
    Oh, in what way?
    More questions will be added and new ones to because of the constant road changes
    • TSR Support Team

Wonder what they are changing on the Theory test now,?

ReputationRep:
    More questions will be added and new ones to because of the constant road changes
    Apparently they're also stopping publishing the questions from the multiple choice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandys1000)
    Apparently they're also stopping publishing the questions from the multiple choice?
    What do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean?
    I bought a CD for practice, so had already seen all of the questions that came up in the test. This won't happen from, I think, 2012 onwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tieyourmotherdown)
    As far as I'm aware they're not going to. Besides even if they were going to they'd have to commission a report etc. etc, produce the bill, pass the bill, second reading etc, basically it would take ages and even if they were going to, it wouldn't be put in place for months.
    Yeah, i agree. There were rumours about it a while ago, but i dont think anything came of it.

ReputationRep:
    Even the most recent pile of ****e from Our Masters in Brussels (the Third Directive on Driving Licensing, which comes into force in 2013) kindly allows us to retain our minimum car driving age. Although it has messed around a lot with motorbike licensing, sadly.

As politicians are desperate not to cheese off new voters, I doubt very much our UK politicians will do so. So we're safe at least until the 4th EU directive, whenever that might be.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.