Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm working on bulking up, so decided to go out and buy myself some protein shake. However being new to all this muscle building lark, I don't know where to start when it comes to buying the right one for me.

This looks like decent stuff, and is pretty cheap too.

But this has different types of protein in it, meaning break down times are different. It also has added vitamins and mineral. What do you guys think?

Ta very much.

ReputationRep:
    Myprotein.com

I only have one straight after i work out all you need really but one in the morning or before bed is fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zander5)
    Myprotein.com

I only have one straight after i work out all you need really but one in the morning or before bed is fine.
    Thanks for the site but there's so many products up for sale I don't know where to start lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeenageDream)
    Thanks for the site but there's so many products up for sale I don't know where to start lol
    Impact whey protein is all you need unflavoured is £5 less then the flavoured but tastes like garbage so its upto you.

ReputationRep:
    Depends how much your willing to spend

Cyclone from Maximuscle is arguably the best around that has proven results and money back guarantee but it is very expensive (due to the massive amounts of marketing they do)

Simple Impact Whey Protein from Myprotein works too if you cant afford cyclone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rusty360)
    Depends how much your willing to spend

Cyclone from Maximuscle is arguably the best around that has proven results and money back guarantee but it is very expensive (due to the massive amounts of marketing they do)

Simple Impact Whey Protein from Myprotein works too if you cant afford cyclone.
    Cyclone isn't the best around it's simply one of the most expensive. You aren't paying extra for a better product, you're paying extra for the moneyback guarantee, their marketing, the ingredients that they shoe-horn into their products with little or no effiacacy to convince you that you're getting something better, the promotional 'free' gifts they offer occassionally, etc.

Cyclone, MyProtein, etc all use the same core ingredient (whey protein), it is just another source of dietary protein and they are all equally as 'proven'. There is nothing to say that if you buy if from MaxiMuscle that's it's any better or more effective, or that MyProtein's is any worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    Cyclone isn't the best around it's simply one of the most expensive. You aren't paying extra for a better product, you're paying extra for the moneyback guarantee, their marketing, the ingredients that they shoe-horn into their products with little or no effiacacy to convince you that you're getting something better, the promotional 'free' gifts they offer occassionally, etc.

Cyclone, MyProtein, etc all use the same core ingredient (whey protein), it is just another source of dietary protein and they are all equally as 'proven'. There is nothing to say that if you buy if from MaxiMuscle that's it's any better or more effective, or that MyProtein's is any worse.
    Actually people on cyclone have gained more muscle than people on whey protein alone.
    Its why Maximuscle can offer to give money back guarantees.

Im no Maximuscle fan boy by any chance, but the quality of ingredients used is much higher than most companies.

Also the bloating received from every other whey product I've tried is almost unbearable whilst with Cyclone there is little or none.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rusty360)
    Actually people on cyclone have gained more muscle than people on whey protein alone.
    Where is the evidence for this?

This is what MaxiMuscle has to say:

Research Proven

After exercising regularly and using Cyclone daily, 8 out of 10 people saw an increase in muscle size, while 8 out of 20 people felt more powerful in the gym after 3 weeks*.

*online survey conducted by Zoomerang on 123 men who exercise regularly and use Cyclone daily (2009)
    http://www.maximuscle.com/cyclone

Completely subjective, small sample size, no mention of the extent of muscle gain and no comparison to other products.

Its why Maximuscle can offer to give money back guarantees.
    Be under no illusions it's just a marketing gimmick. If you read up on it there are certain stipulations they make, such as you must be using their products as they recommend, follow a decent exercise regime and have a decent diet. Then again anybody with a decent diet and exercise regime can gain muscle it isn't limited to supplement use or in fact the use of MaxiMuscle products.

Im no Maximuscle fan boy by any chance, but the quality of ingredients used is much higher than most companies.
    Compared to their competitors (and I'm not talking about the cheap stuff the likes of Holland and Barrett kick out) there is little if any difference. If they told you that their whey, creatine, etc was from the same supplier as the likes of MyProtein, or there were negligible differences in quality between the two would you pay a premium for the MaxiMuscle product? No.

The vast majority of what you're talking about is perceived value and perceived quality.

Also the bloating received from every other whey product I've tried is almost unbearable whilst with Cyclone there is little or none.
    That can be due to any number of factors, alcohol sugars, artificial sweeteners, lactose intolerance, gluten intolerance, etc and it's typically more of a problem with cheaper products and/or those that are more heavily processed.

ReputationRep:
    If we're talking quality here, Reflex pip everyone to the post as their ingredients are 100% transparant and every batch is tested to make sure it meets the protein% advertised.

Their Reflex Peptide Fusion is 33/33/33 caesin, egg albumin and whey. CNP do a similar product (Propeptide) but the ratios aren't publicly available ('propietary blend') and it costs about £10 more a tub.

Just sayin'.

ReputationRep:
    If you have a decent diet there is no need for supplements anyway they are there for convinence only. No supplement is a magic formula that will make you bigger, stronger ect.

ReputationRep:
    extreme nutrition build and recover or whey protein. The best I've tried.

http://www.extremenutrition.co.uk/ca...32830611792c77

ReputationRep:
    For bulking up you must follow a good diet consisting of 6 meals at least.Lot of carbs/protein and low in fat(only nuts,fish oils etc.)

Of course 2-3 of those meals can be protein shakes with added bananas,oats etc.

An important thing is to have a meal high in casein protein before bed
    (cottage cheese, or even casein protein )

cheapuksupplements.co.uk has a variety of proteins for diffent goals.Find one that has some cars and casein protein in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FitnessMan)
    For bulking up you must follow a good diet consisting of 6 meals at least.Lot of carbs/protein and low in fat(only nuts,fish oils etc.)
    There is little or not evidence to suggest that a low fat diet is any healthier or better for you than a moderate or even high fat diet.

An important thing is to have a meal high in casein protein before bed
    (cottage cheese, or even casein protein )
    No it really isn't - it's almost purely a marketing ploy by the big supplement companies.

ReputationRep:
    what i wrote i experimented about 8 years of nutrition + weight training.

The most important thing for a guy who wants to bulk up is that he must never leave himselft feel hungry.Eating 6 meals balanced with high protein and cards will help him build muscle and recover much easier.

As the for last i wrote.It is important to have a meal high in casein protein before bed to keep you in anabolic state and not catabolic.With out this meal and 8 hours of sleeping will definitely put you in catabolic state.

Regards

ReputationRep:
    what i wrote i experimented about 8 years of nutrition + weight training.
    The problem is that most if not all of it is anecdotal.

Sure, you may take the odd casein supplement, but undoubtedly you also eat well and get plenty of quality exercise so the idea that a casein supplement is responsible for your progress is misguided. Similarly I'd be willing to bet that the evidence behind advocating a low fat diet is equally as sketchy.

As the for last i wrote.It is important to have a meal high in casein protein before bed to keep you in anabolic state and not catabolic.With out this meal and 8 hours of sleeping will definitely put you in catabolic state.
    Protein catabolism overnight is negligible. Growth hormone is released in response to deep sleep in a pulsatile manner (ie; every couple of hours) and this has the effect of conserving muscle mass. Secondly most people who are serious about training consume a decent meal containing slow to digested proteins, fat and carbohydrates within a couple of hours of bed anyway. There is little or no need for dedicated pre-bedtime supplement.

Like I said early, the perception that people need a pre-bedtime supplement was manufactured relatively recently by the supplement industry to boost sales. There is little or no evidence that supports their use and what little evidence there is has been manipulated or vastly exaggerated.

If you've got conclusive evidence at hand I'll happily read it and take back what I've said but I very much doubt that you have.

The most important thing for a guy who wants to bulk up is that he must never leave himselft feel hungry.Eating 6 meals balanced with high protein and cards will help him build muscle and recover much easier.
    Nobody said any differently however fats are essential and they have their role, especially in someone trying to gain muscle.

ReputationRep:
    From personal experiences yes the pre-bed meal helps for anabolism.I dint say go get a supplement for this.This could be any meal high in casein protein in order to slowly release protein during your sleep

Second, I have allready mentioned about the fats that are good for bodybuilders.
    The idea is when you bulking you are trying to put quality mass and NOT FAT.
    So eating good fats would be ideal such as fish , nuts , pure olive oil, omega3 as supplements etc.

Anw for the guy who created the thread.If you have a balanced routine and you train well then the 1st thing you must follow is what i said before.EAT EAT EAT.

ReputationRep:
    i use mammoth and thats good for me, it puts on weight but some of it is fat. If you do enough excercise though, the fat is used up and you put on a lot of weight in no time. Its not too expensive (£29/4.4kg tub) and tastes DELICIOUS. It mixes well with water too.
    An alternative with much lower fat content is nutrisport 90+ protein, which has quality proteins but does not taste as nice, and will not put as much weight on.

ReputationRep:
    nobody's said 'My ***' yet? That's not very TSR-like!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    There is little or not evidence to suggest that a low fat diet is any healthier or better for you than a moderate or even high fat diet.

No it really isn't - it's almost purely a marketing ploy by the big supplement companies.
    So you're saying supplement companies are in cahoots with cottage cheese sellers?

ReputationRep:
    From personal experiences yes the pre-bed meal helps for anabolism.
    This is what John Berardi has to say:

Protein Intake, Timing and Supplements

Lately, there has been much debate about which type of protein is better and some writers are speculating that casein may be better than whey. However, with the big surge in whey protein popularity, as well as the very high BV of whey, many are reluctant to accept that whey might not be clearly the best protein. Recent research is mixed on this subject. Two research papers have suggested that casein may be superior to whey in both a dieting situation as well as in a muscle-building situation (15,16). When given either whey or casein alone, it appears that casein may be more anti-catabolic while whey is more anabolic. The problem with whey is that it is very quickly digested and therefore quickly degraded. Also, the anabolic effects are short-lived. Casein on the other hand, is very slowly digested and may continually provide amino acids to the body over a much longer period of time. This may lead to better protein balance over time. Another study looking at muscular performance however showed that whey protein seemed to outperform casein when added to the diets of study subjects (17). Subjects on whey had better muscular performance than those on casein. Finally, another unpublished investigation showed no differences between whey, soy, and casein on muscle size and body composition.
    http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/...n/prosuper.htm

Considering that Casein is so heavily touted there is little or no evidence to support it's use, even some of the most distinguished nutritionists in this field are sitting on the fence and exhibit doubts about the efficacy of casein.

If you got better results while using casein it was almost certainly due to other lifestyle changes whether you were aware of them or not (ie; training better, training harder, eating more, eating better, etc). Casein and/or casein supplements are used by a tiny minority of people, if these people were really outperforming their peers by a significant amount somebody would have noticed by now and it would be heavily documented. Likewise if overnight muscle catabolism was really such as issue it would be well documented because it would be affecting literally billions of people.

I dint say go get a supplement for this.This could be any meal high in casein protein in order to slowly release protein during your sleep
    You said eat cottage cheese or supplement.

Second, I have allready mentioned about the fats that are good for bodybuilders.
    Not really no, you advocated a low fat diet.

The idea is when you bulking you are trying to put quality mass and NOT FAT.
    Nobody said any differently however dietary fat does not equal fat gain.

(Original post by Gap)
    So you're saying supplement companies are in cahoots with cottage cheese sellers?
    No I'm saying that this myth about casein before bed being essential for muscle gain was dreamt up largely by the supplement companies and it was based on little or no evidence.

The use of casein pre-bedtime has never been a limit to muscle gain - people past, present and future continue to get bigger and stronger without it. If you're eating and training properly casein before bedtime is going to have little (if any) effect on your progress.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.