Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

People on Starting Strength Watch

ReputationRep:
    What do you do when you don't have access to equipment? For example if you're on holiday; do you do bodyweight exercises instead?

ReputationRep:
    eat loads and work harder wen u get bacj
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inversion)
    What do you do when you don't have access to equipment? For example if you're on holiday; do you do bodyweight exercises instead?
    For this post I'm going to assume that you are a university student living in halls who has went back home for the Christmas period. I was in a similar situation in my first year, a few years back now. I started Starting Strength a few weeks after I started university, and made great gains. I was using the uni's gym.

I am lucky because I have a power rack, bench and olympic set at home as well, so in theory I could have continued when I came home. This in reality never happened because it was too f'ing cold in my garage! I tried out my new belt with some 1RMs, but that's it. Although I had to be back at uni pretty early because my first exam was on like the 6th or something...

Check out my log.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    For this post I'm going to assume that you are a university student living in halls who has went back home for the Christmas period. I was in a similar situation in my first year, a few years back now. I started Starting Strength a few weeks after I started university, and made great gains. I was using the uni's gym.

I am lucky because I have a power rack, bench and olympic set at home as well, so in theory I could have continued when I came home. This in reality never happened because it was too f'ing cold in my garage! I tried out my new belt with some 1RMs, but that's it. Although I had to be back at uni pretty early because my first exam was on like the 6th or something...

Check out my log.
    Close, I don't live in halls though. There is a gym I go to at home when I'm not in uni, it's full of ****ing hard bouncers which is pretty funny, but it's closed at the moment unfortunately. All I've got here is a treadmill in the garage, I agree about the cold. Just went for a run on it and there was loads of steam visibly coming off me, looked pretty cool.

Cheers for the reply, will have a look at your log. On an unrelated note I tore my hamstring about 2 months ago, I haven't been doing squats or DLs since then on the advice of the physio. I think it's almost better now (still twinges for a bit when I go running, but I can 'run it off'). Should I go back to doing the full program in the new year? Really don't want to go to the physio again, it's £35 for an appointment.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have heaters? I found the killer is the bar coldness... which I overcome now by giving it a hot bath (bucket + cloth)..... works well

(Original post by Smack)

Check out my log.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redbuthotter)
    Do you have heaters? I found the killer is the bar coldness... which I overcome now by giving it a hot bath (bucket + cloth)..... works well
    Or just keep the bars indoors and carry them out when you want to lift.

ReputationRep:
    I kept my bars inside then was going to take them outside to lift but ended up just lifting in a random area in my house instead. The gym outside is WAY too cold for lifting.

It's fine if you're doing cardio though..

For xmas holidays i'm just doing different weightlifting since we only have some small dumbells here with weights up to like 20KG so doing 17.5kg dumbell press instead of 40kg press. And some bodyweight exercises, not as good as a proper gym routine but better then nothing until i go back to uni...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.