Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, *deep breath*

I've recently applied to study photography at university although I don't think I'm going to get in to any of my choices. I'm not one of these people who is just saying this so people will tell everything will be OK. I genuinely don't think I will get in. I haven't studied photography full-time, only part-time so the qualification isn't anything close to an A-Level, although I did pass it. I'm currently taking another part-time course this year and I'm doing unpaid work experience every Monday with a local newspaper but that's as far as it goes. I'm self taught and and do a lot of my own stuff but haven't really had much experience to back up my poor grades. To top it off I've applied to uni's that are known to be very hard to get in to, which was a bit stupid of me. But if I'm going to spend thousands on going to uni I want to go to a good one.

If I don't get in this year I'm not sure about applying again due to the fees increasing and am wondering what sort of work experience there is I can get as I'm probably not as educated in photography as people who have studied it full-time.

As a career I would love to photograph concerts, as music is another passion of mine, so would magazines be a good place to start or are they tough to get accepted to as I would imagine there are people who have finished uni that apply there that are much more likely to get accepted than me?

Any replies would be much appreciated.

Amy

ReputationRep:
    What Unis have you applied for beacuse I know some aren't too fussy about photography qualifications as long as you can show an intrest and have work to back your application with. Nottingham Trent does this as some people don't have access to full time courses like Btechs or a-levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ALHammond)
    Hi, *deep breath*

I've recently applied to study photography at university although I don't think I'm going to get in to any of my choices. I'm not one of these people who is just saying this so people will tell everything will be OK. I genuinely don't think I will get in. I haven't studied photography full-time, only part-time so the qualification isn't anything close to an A-Level, although I did pass it. I'm currently taking another part-time course this year and I'm doing unpaid work experience every Monday with a local newspaper but that's as far as it goes. I'm self taught and and do a lot of my own stuff but haven't really had much experience to back up my poor grades. To top it off I've applied to uni's that are known to be very hard to get in to, which was a bit stupid of me. But if I'm going to spend thousands on going to uni I want to go to a good one.

If I don't get in this year I'm not sure about applying again due to the fees increasing and am wondering what sort of work experience there is I can get as I'm probably not as educated in photography as people who have studied it full-time.

As a career I would love to photograph concerts, as music is another passion of mine, so would magazines be a good place to start or are they tough to get accepted to as I would imagine there are people who have finished uni that apply there that are much more likely to get accepted than me?

Amy

Where have you applied?

Im in your position too. I've never done an arts subject, not even GCSE art. Hell I'm not even an artistic person!
    I have been doing some voluntary photography work of events/property for the national trust, but that's it....

I'm 100% self taught too.

So far I've had 1 interview, 1 offer.
    The fact that I am 100% self taught seemed the impress them a massive amount.
    The lecturer interviewing me said 'So why photography? You've not done it Alevel...'
    And when I got around to telling him I have had no formal training in photography he seemed genuinely impressed, and I believe that was a major part of me getting the offer.

Go to the interview with confidence in your work, but be willing to criticise it... Make a point of telling them you have no formal training! It might impress them!!
    Your work experience sounds perfect, I doubt there is much more you can do on that front.

Good luck to you.

got a flickr or something I can take a look at? :p:D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonelykatana)
    Where have you applied?

Im in your position too. I've never done an arts subject, not even GCSE art. Hell I'm not even an artistic person!
    I have been doing some voluntary photography work of events/property for the national trust, but that's it....

The lecturer interviewing me said 'So why photography? You've not done it Alevel...'
    And when I got around to telling him I have had no formal training in photography he seemed genuinely impressed, and I believe that was a major part of me getting the offer.

Go to the interview with confidence in your work, but be willing to criticise it... Make a point of telling them you have no formal training! It might impress them!!
    Your work experience sounds perfect, I doubt there is much more you can do on that front.

Good luck to you.

Hi,

Firstly, thanks for the reply and well done for getting an offer

I've applied to LCC, Camberwell College of Arts, Kingston, Nottingham Trent and De Montfort.

Funny you should mention Flickr. I made an account today. Although, my best photos are in RAW and I can't upload them to the site so what's on there isn't my best.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weloveclover)
    What Unis have you applied for beacuse I know some aren't too fussy about photography qualifications as long as you can show an intrest and have work to back your application with. Nottingham Trent does this as some people don't have access to full time courses like Btechs or a-levels.
    Hi,

Nottingham Trent is one of my choices actually. Although, I've started reading some negative reviews about it but I'll decide what it's like myself. I've also applied to LCC, Camberwell College of Arts, Kingston and De Montfort. I took an A-Level and BTEC in Film Studies and Media Video Production so hopefully that can count for something too.

Thanks for the reply

Amy

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Nottingham Trent is one of my choices actually. Although, I've started reading some negative reviews about it but I'll decide what it's like myself. I've also applied to LCC, Camberwell College of Arts, Kingston and De Montfort. I took an A-Level and BTEC in Film Studies and Media Video Production so hopefully that can count for something too.

Thanks for the reply

Amy
    Heyy Im looking to study photography at uni, and have applied to Kingston, LCC, Middlesex, Plymouth Arts and Bournemouth Arts, straight from doing my alevels.

Have you heard anything for Kingston or LCC? I had an online portfolio thing from Kingston, but am not expecting a place as they told me that they have never taken anyone without a foundation in art!! How harsh!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crystalcass)
    Heyy Im looking to study photography at uni, and have applied to Kingston, LCC, Middlesex, Plymouth Arts and Bournemouth Arts, straight from doing my alevels.

Have you heard anything for Kingston or LCC? I had an online portfolio thing from Kingston, but am not expecting a place as they told me that they have never taken anyone without a foundation in art!! How harsh!!
    Hi,

I haven't heard anything from any of the universities I applied to but I only received my welcome letter yesterday. I also got an email from Kingston about the online portfolio and have 2 weeks left until the deadline.

That is quite harsh what Kingston told you. Hope you prove them wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonelykatana)
    Where have you applied?

Good luck to you.

Just took a look at your photography. You're really good! I can see why they were impressed that you're self taught. You make mine look like they were taken by a 5 year old haha!.

You do HDR too? I've been wanting to do that for a while but I don't have photoshop on my mac and I need it to convert the files. Annoying.

ReputationRep:
    Just took a look at your photography. You're really good! I can see why they were impressed that you're self taught. You make mine look like they were taken by a 5 year old haha!.

You do HDR too? I've been wanting to do that for a while but I don't have photoshop on my mac and I need it to convert the files. Annoying.
    haha thanks a lot But from what I've seen on your flickr you clearly know your way around a camera too I really love the shot of the starlings feeding

I used to do a lot more HDR, not so much anymore. I've kind of gone off the effect it gives.
    Sounds pretty rubbish to not have photoshop

ReputationRep:
    GET GIMP ITS FREE. if you need a RAW converter look into UFRaw it works as an independant RAW file worker thing for exposure/WB/temperature and also allows Gimp to open RAW files.

Gimp (go into other downloads at bottom of language list for mac):
    http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

UFRaw (scroll down a bit for mac):
    http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/Install.html

ReputationRep:
    GET GIMP ITS FREE. if you need a RAW converter look into UFRaw it works as an independant RAW file worker thing for exposure/WB/temperature and also allows Gimp to open RAW files.

Gimp (go into other downloads at bottom of language list for mac):
    http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

UFRaw (scroll down a bit for mac):
    http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/Install.html
    Bloody good point...
    OP this guy is a genius!

ReputationRep:
    I'm so happy you sent me those links. Haven't even heard of it before. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I'm so happy you sent me those links. Haven't even heard of it before. Thank you!
    np. But I have never done HDR on it so you may have to do a bit of googling. It'll serve its purpose until you get photoshop.

ReputationRep:
    Photomatix is awesome for HDR imaging.

Photoshop is obviously the industry standard for graphical work, however I do 98% of my photo processing and workflow through Lightroom (also Adobe). Its so much quicker for batch image editing and has great noise reduction, grad filters and other super useful tools, I feel PS is really only useful for doing crazy editing, compositing and layered work.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshoplightroom/

Also there was a pretty recent poll on DPReview that confirmed almost half of all people voting used LR as their main photo workflow tool.

I highly recommend it! (and you should probably have Photoshop too for when you need it!)

Also, don't panic if you don't get into a Photography degree, if you get straight into photo work right now and persue it and work HARD, in 3 years time you'll have lots of experience, hopefully an awesome portfolio and should have no problems getting work above recent graduates. I wouldn't limit yourself to one discipline though, unless you're a super famous shooter, only doing one type of work will seriously hurt your income. To make a living you'll need to be proficient at all the different styles. I'm mainly a sports and events shooter but I do the occasional wedding and portrait shoots too as it's nice to have the extra income!

ReputationRep:

Well the thing with magazines is that it doesn't matter if you've got a qualification or not, they're hard to get into full stop. You have to get associated with contacts and discovered by smaller magazines to get noticed sort of thing. When we've had visiting lecturers (who are practicing photographers) they've said that you can't just go straight to a magazine and get a job sort of thing.

Not to put you off or anything, you could very well be lucky enough to get some work straight away if you needed to. Just saying that it's apparently very difficult because if you're not famous then it's not so easy sort of thing.

With regards to uni, a lot of universities aren't bothered as much about your grades as they are about your portfolio. When you have your interviews you will more than likely find that they don't even ask you about your grades or courses you've done. In fact, I don't remember being asked about my grades at all, just got asked to show my portfolio and talk through some of the work in there and what it was about, my interests, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Shanice_)
    With regards to uni, a lot of universities aren't bothered as much about your grades as they are about your portfolio. When you have your interviews you will more than likely find that they don't even ask you about your grades or courses you've done. In fact, I don't remember being asked about my grades at all, just got asked to show my portfolio and talk through some of the work in there and what it was about, my interests, etc.
    This year has changed slightly with the number of applicants mind. They're looking at grades before personal statements to see who to reject.

ReputationRep:
    This year has changed slightly with the number of applicants mind. They're looking at grades before personal statements to see who to reject.

Depends where you apply to too though doesn't it. I was referring to the interview itself rather than the application process. The interview process is used to reject applicants too you know.

ReputationRep:

Amy
    Hi OP - A good vocational photography course combined with building a strong portfolio would be a good option if you didn't get a uni place.

The vocational course would be able to help you with all of the practical aspects of photography, but probably wouldn't cover as much of the theoretical side of the subject.

If you did well on a vocational course (HND/BTEC etc.), you could probably move on to uni - The work you had done would probably count as credits towards an eventual uni degree.

Its not quite the same thing, but my brother did a vocational couse in Sound Engineering in Ballyfermot in Dublin (Known in Ireland as Rock n' Roll College) and then started a degree in the UK at the start of second year. I think he had the option of starting in third year, but he felt that the transition of going straight into third year would be a bit too much.

In the mean time, he was doing some sound work at gigs and concerts (with the skills he picked up doing the vocational course).

I'm not saying its the best option, but its certainly worth looking at.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.