Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I've currently got offers from Liverpool and Aberystwyth for IT. Aberystwyth offer a year in industry which really appealed to me for job prospects, however Liverpool don't have anything similar. My predicament is whether to go to Liverpool because of its 'better' reputation, or go to Aber to get the work experience.

At the end of the day I just want a job, thoughts?

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    All depends on if you can get a good placement......

Or you could look for a part time IT job.

ReputationRep:
    I think a year in the industry is invaluable for your CV, you will have experiences few other people could talk about at interview. Depending on your circumstances you could also go for a part time job but be wary about the effects it might have on your time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodAtum)
    I think a year in the industry is invaluable for your CV, you will have experiences few other people could talk about at interview. Depending on your circumstances you could also go for a part time job but be wary about the effects it might have on your time.
    x2.. Have to agree with GodAtum.

I was a bit apprehensive about taking a year out, but can say it was one of the best things i ever did. If you can find a decent company, and a role within the field you want to pursue, it will help you to stand out from the crown when people are reviewing your CV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodAtum)
    (Original post by ITGuy)
    Cheers guys, I appreciate the feedback. I'm just under a fair amount of pressure to go to Liverpool or QMUL due to their rep, whereas I think I'd be better off taking an extra year to get some experience under my belt. So hard to decide!

ReputationRep:
    Did you apply for Surrey uni? They have an excellent rep and do placements.

ReputationRep:
    Without a doubt. Anything you can do to make your CV that much better will only benefit you. Most graduate jobs these days say you need related experience, which would make putting down a placement job ideal.

ReputationRep:
    Doing a summer internship would be an option too.

ReputationRep:
    you should definately take the industrial placement, its worth a masters degree and can get u a very good paying job.

ReputationRep:
    As above really. A year of relevant experience in industry is worth much more than a prestigious degree because it says you can do the job as opposed to just being good at getting a degree.

It might be worth giving Aber a call though to ask about the year out. Hopefully they will tell you that they have good links with recruiters for placement years for their students.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.