Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Recommend me good thrash metal Watch

ReputationRep:
    Don't know much about it, favourite albums are:

Megadeth - Rust in Peace (easily a contender for favourite album of all time, the guitar work is just so tight) :coma:

Anthrax - Among the Living

Metallica - Ride the Lightning

Slayer - Reign in Blood

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power (immense, up there with RIP)
    Sepultura - Beneath The Remains
    Overkill - The Years of Decay
    Overkill - Horrorscope

:thrasher:

ReputationRep:
    I should probably expand my horizons to Thrash at some point given that I listen to most other "main" sub-genres of metal, so I'll be watching this thread :cookie:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe More Death metal than Thrash metal but listen to Death. Their earlier stuff is thrashy. I much prefer their later stuff though as it's a lot more melodic and better overall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dorian gray)
    Good thrash metal does not exist.

I know I'm most probably going to get negged for my presumed 'ignorance'.

But I've tried to like it. It's just noisy, inane shit for drunk men to 'mosh' to or for underweight gaunt teens to find comfort in. There is no beauty to be found in thrash metal.

Yeah, I said it.
    Whatever floats your boat. I usually listen to it when I'm feeling masculine/reckless/angry etc.!

ReputationRep:
    I take it you've already heard the likes of South of Heaven, Hell Awaits and Killing is My Business already given you've taken a liking to the big 4's best respective albums, if not then definitely check out that stuff, some of Megadeth's later stuff is pretty swell too although generally individual songs rather than entire albums (Sleepwalker and Washington is Next from United Abominations for example)

Listen to Victims of Deception by Heathen. Absolutely phenomenal progressive thrash. Eternal Nightmare by Vio-lence (first band of Robb Flynn and Phil Demmell of Machine Head fame) is insane, but the vocalist takes some getting used to. Agent Orange by Sodom, Pleasure to Kill by Exodus and basically most of Destruction's early stuff is really good German thrash too. Check out early Exodus (specifically Bonded by Blood I guess since it's their most well-known and arguably their best).

Other stuff I'd recommend would be early Annihilator, Forbidden, Razor, Death Angel's first album, everything up to The Ritual by Testament, Realm, Metal Church and Dark Angel. Definitely the latter, Darkness Descends is a ridiculous album and it's two followups, Leave Scars and Time Does Not Heal get even moreso, the latter has so many riffs it's ridiculous.

Theres plenty of good new stuff too, check out Evile and Warbringer's first two albums, Sanctity's debut and MUNICIPAL WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASTE (most fun crossover band ever)

Oh, and this might be flamed somewhat, but Night of the Stormrider by Iced Earth is a pretty solid album too, it's not thrash in the sense that most of the above are but it's arguably thrash metal and it's a fine album irrespective of how badly their material tanked later on in their career.

fakeedit; actually, listen to Blotted Science too. It's very extreme and some of the riffage is very much death metal influenced rather than thrash (it's instrumental though, so no death vocals if that's a barrier to you enjoying it), but it's good enough to warrant a mention here imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tez.)
    I take it you've already heard the likes of South of Heaven, Hell Awaits and Killing is My Business already given you've taken a liking to the big 4's best respective albums, if not then definitely check out that stuff, some of Megadeth's later stuff is pretty swell too although generally individual songs rather than entire albums (Sleepwalker and Washington is Next from United Abominations for example)

Listen to Victims of Deception by Heathen. Absolutely phenomenal progressive thrash. Eternal Nightmare by Vio-lence (first band of Robb Flynn and Phil Demmell of Machine Head fame) is insane, but the vocalist takes some getting used to. Agent Orange by Sodom, Pleasure to Kill by Exodus and basically most of Destruction's early stuff is really good German thrash too. Check out early Exodus (specifically Bonded by Blood I guess since it's their most well-known and arguably their best).

Other stuff I'd recommend would be early Annihilator, Forbidden, Razor, Death Angel's first album, everything up to The Ritual by Testament, Realm, Metal Church and Dark Angel. Definitely the latter, Darkness Descends is a ridiculous album and it's two followups, Leave Scars and Time Does Not Heal get even moreso, the latter has so many riffs it's ridiculous.

Theres plenty of good new stuff too, check out Evile and Warbringer's first two albums, Sanctity's debut and MUNICIPAL WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASTE (most fun crossover band ever)

Oh, and this might be flamed somewhat, but Night of the Stormrider by Iced Earth is a pretty solid album too, it's not thrash in the sense that most of the above are but it's arguably thrash metal and it's a fine album irrespective of how badly their material tanked later on in their career.

fakeedit; actually, listen to Blotted Science too. It's very extreme and some of the riffage is very much death metal influenced rather than thrash (it's instrumental though, so no death vocals if that's a barrier to you enjoying it), but it's good enough to warrant a mention here imo.
    Thanks a lot, loads to keep me going there. I don't mind death metal vocals either so it's not a barrier.

ReputationRep:
    tez's post pretty much covers it, but if you fancy trying some black/thrash some good bands to check out are

Bathory
    Aura Noir
    Gospel of the Horns
    Nifelheim
    Razor of Occam.

ReputationRep:
    good thrash metal
    what

ReputationRep:
    If I were asked to define thrash with one song, it'd be this:

ReputationRep:
    Slipknot :woohoo: it's technically Nu-Metal but I consider t to be a bit 'thrash'.

ReputationRep:
    Forgot a few, try Flotsam and Jetsam, Voivod, Sabbat (the English one), Artillery, Laaz Rockit, Blind Illusion's debut (their only other album is awful, don't even go there), Nuclear Assault, and Sepulturas early stufff (although someone may have already mentioned that).

That should keep you going for a while I hope

And ignore the above poster, lol :P

ReputationRep:
    Slayer - Christ Illusion & World Painted Blood
    Megadeth - Peace Sells
    Nuclear Assault - Game Over
    Violator - Chemical Assault
    Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power & Reinventing The Steel
    Sodom - M-16
    Exumer - Possessed By Fire
    Exodus - Tempo of the Damned
    Sepultura - Chaos AD
    Cavalera Conspiracy - Inflikted

Also check out bands like Testament, Kreator, Destruction, Dark Angel, Soulfly, Annihilator, Legion of the Damned, Tankard, Onslaught, The Haunted.

Oldschool!

ReputationRep:
    Ulysses' Siren come up with some pretty technical thrash metal, it seems. I haven't heard much of them besides the odd listen on YouTube.

I was going to suggest the obvious and tell you to check out Rust in Peace, upon seeing this thread but ah well.

ReputationRep:
    How do you people come across all that music?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilyking)
    Slipknot :woohoo: it's technically Nu-Metal but I consider t to be a bit 'thrash'.
    :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .neon)
    How do you people come across all that music?
    From a variety of sources, lastfm, youtube, Terrorizer magazine, internet forums, etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dorian gray)
    Good thrash metal does not exist.

I know I'm most probably going to get negged for my presumed 'ignorance'.

But I've tried to like it. It's just noisy, inane shit for drunk men to 'mosh' to or for underweight gaunt teens to find comfort in. There is no beauty to be found in thrash metal.

Yeah, I said it.

Edit: Here comes the neg. Steady now, you might knock me off balance. :rofl:
    Oh, silly me. I thought music was a subjective thing that depended on personal tastes.

Just because you don't like something, doesn't make it ****.

ReputationRep:
    Try Aspid.

http://www.heathenharvest.com/articl...90311161949270

I would say buy the album but you'd be lucky to find it and the band won't get money for it. Just download it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inversion)
    Try these.
    Anthrax - We've Come For You All

Pantera - Cowboys From Hell, Vulgar Display Of Power, Reinventing The Steel, Far Beyond Driven, The Great Southern Trendkill

Machine Head - The Blackening, Through The Ashes Of Empires, The Burning Red, Burn My Eyes

Savage Messiah - Insurrection Rising

Sylosis - Conclusion Of An Age

Trivium - Shogun

I don't really like thrash but I seriously recommend all these albums.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.