Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Recommend a Protein Drink for general weight Watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I've been ill lately and I've lost a lot of weight. I'm 5'6 and weigh 7 stone, and according to my BMI and am severely underweight - and I look it!

Last year I went on a weight gain diet and gained half a stone before stagnating and just not putting anything on. I plan to go back on this 'diet' and eat full steak and chicken meals for lunch rather than just a sandwich, along with breakfast and dinner obviously. But I'm desperate to put weight back on so I don't look like a starved orphan. I'm not talking about muscle, just general weight. (I know muscle weighs more than fat, but I just want to fill out a bit) Can you recommend a protein drink that will supplement this and help me put on weight?

ReputationRep:
    At 7 stone it should be pretty easy to gain weight without any supplements, just eat more food, more frequently. Adding an extra meal to your days is an easy way to do this.

Also, protein shakes are more for aiding recovery (ie, gaining muscle when combined with weight training), not for general weight gain, so they're probably not really what you need.

To answer your question though, myprotein.co.uk is the place to go for cheap whey protein, it's genuinly as good as the branded stuff so dont worry about the whole 'you get what you pay for' thing, it doesnt really apply here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rylit91)
    Can you recommend a protein drink that will supplement this and help me put on weight?
    Protein itself is not very calorific and if you have no real desire to gain muscle taking protein supplements is pretty pointless.

Eat more (eg; increase portion sizes, drink a gallon of milk per day, olive oil shots) and/or exercise less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    Protein itself is not very calorific and if you have no real desire to gain muscle taking protein supplements is pretty pointless.

Eat more (eg; increase portion sizes, drink a gallon of milk per day, olive oil shots) and/or exercise less.
    I've started doing just this. Btw, in you opinion is full fat milk better for this? Atm I drink semi-skimmed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)

seriously?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    seriously?
    Although I'm no expert, I think he could be right. In my post I mentioned this 'diet' I went on and had to drink/eat a certain amount of olive oil every day, which sometimes meant taking it by the teaspoonful.

ReputationRep:
    Although I'm no expert, I think he could be right. In my post I mentioned this 'diet' I went on and had to drink/eat a certain amount of olive oil every day, which sometimes meant taking it by the teaspoonful.
    Drink atleast 5 pints of full-fat milk a day and you will notice a difference very quickly. I'm going to hit the gym soon but tested the milk idea out for a few days and even then I noticed a diffference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    seriously?
    I've seen it used before - lots of calories and lots of unsaturated fats.

I've started doing just this. Btw, in you opinion is full fat milk better for this? Atm I drink semi-skimmed.
    Full fat is probably better because it contains slightly more calories per 100ml.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.