Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Longest amount of time you can get pills for Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!

Im going on a year abroad next year (to Egypt) and I was wondering if you can ask your doctor to give you pills for the whole year?:confused: I dont want to risk going there and figuring out I cant get the pill I am on now (Microgynon 30) as I dont have any side effects. Is it possible to ask him to give you pills for that long?

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps, if you explain to your doctor why you want a years supply.

You probably shouldn't do this, but if your normal GP is only able to give you a certain number of pills, you may be able to get more from free clinics in the area, so you have enough for the year. The clinics in my area don't tell your GP what they have given you.

ReputationRep:
    I only get the pill in 3 month supplies, something to do with check-ups or something? If you explain the situation they'll probably be accommodating.

ReputationRep:
    Think some doctors will let you have it for 12 but I always get it for 6 months.

Or be naughty, get 6 months from your GP and then go to the clinic and get an extra 3 months (or beg them for 6 months cos you're going away) then you have 12 :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Well most people only need check-ups once a year, so logically it should be possible.

Presumably your year abroad is to a University? They will surely have some kind of doctors/medical insurance, perhaps try to contact them to see whether they have the same type of pills there or not.

ReputationRep:
    It should be fine, just explain your reasons. It may depend on your doc though - When I went on the pill, the doc at the clinic said she'd give me a three month supply to see how it goes, then a 6 month supply and after that probably a 12 month supply. I thought that was standard procedure :erm:.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everyone for answers! Yeah my year abroad is with university i just think its a bit wierd for me to go and ask the guy whos dealing with everything about contraception.:confused: Also I dont want to risk this pill is the only pill that works for me well other ones just mess everything up thats why im so terrified of not finding anything.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 24, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.