Glasgow
    RHUL
    Sussex
    Essex

ReputationRep:
    You've come to the wrong place pal

ReputationRep:
    In relation to each other not compared to the likes of top tier uni's

RHUL just because it is a good university in a city which is the heart of the financial industry. Probably you will get much more networking opportunities than Sussex in the middle of some hills.

ReputationRep:
      Glasgow
      Leicester
      RHUL (where I go)
      Sussex
      Essex

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by cybergrad)
      RHUL just because it is a good university in a city which is the heart of the financial industry. Probably you will get much more networking opportunities than Sussex in the middle of some hills.
      lol, networking can't be that hard if you live in Brighton, its only an hour on the train, loads of people with jobs in London live in Sussex and commute in

I wouldn't say there was much in it tbh.

Essex has the best research ranking out of them. For Economics or Government or any social science Essex is top class. Probably underrated in that they don't get enough applicants due to Essex not being a sexy place, so its comparatively easy to get in.

Sussex is a small Econ department. However I had good feedback on them from a mate who studied his BSc there, the teaching is good there. It's not a target school for City jobs but its decent for policy jobs, he knew a fair few who got government jobs from there. So I think Sussex is a good shout for an underrated dept.
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      Have you visited any of them?

I would seriously advise for you to visit them all and compare the locations and atmospheres of each. Additionally compare the course modules for each, and think about whether you want to do a three year course doing solely economics for all three years or do a four year course where you have to study other disciplines within your first two years.

In terms of course content, I think that RHUL, Sussex, and Essex offer the most interesting courses. Then, taking into account location and atmosphere, I’d choose RHUL. This of course is all personal opinion; no one can really tell you which university to go to.

ReputationRep:
      How about these (for maths in particular)

Lancaster
      Manchester
      LSE
      Nottingham
      Southampton

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Wevans2303)
      How would you rank these uni's economics departments, overall:

Leicester
      Glasgow
      RHUL
      Sussex
      Essex
      Based on my very limited knowledge almost entirely based on prestige:

Pretty much your list:
      Leicester/ Glasgow
      RHUL
      Sussex/Essex

(Original post by fist of the south star)

Lancaster
      Manchester
      LSE
      Nottingham
      Southampton
      LSE
      Manchester
      Nottingham
      Southampton
      Lancaster

Again pretty much based on prestige.
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by fist of the south star)

Lancaster
      Manchester
      LSE
      Nottingham
      Southampton
      What I said about in regard to the Economics universities applies to this as well; visit each and compare locations/atmospheres and also compare the modules available to you and what would interest you most.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Wevans2303)
      How would you rank these uni's economics departments, overall:

Leicester
      Glasgow
      RHUL
      Sussex
      Essex
      In the order that you have placed them in your stater post.

ReputationRep:
      I've got unconditional offers from 4 of them, just waiting for a reply from Sussex.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.