Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Budgeting questions for those who rent Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on renting a one bedroomed flat in Glasgow.
    The rent on suitable flats is looking like £300-400 per calendar month.
    I have about £1000-1200 a month coming in through wages.
    I can use credit facilities up to £3700 (credit cards and overdrafts) but I'd rather not.
    I've never paid gas, electricity, council tax or water bills and would like estimates from those in similar situations.
    I'd like the internet, cable tv and other things like that but obviously the rest has to be taken into consideration before that.

I'm basically looking for advice from anyone who has moved out and has experience of renting and the costs involved.

If anyone can give me a rough example of their budget or practical tips then I'd be delighted.

ReputationRep:
    Hi There,

Typical things you will expect to pay:

Council Tax - Depends what part of the country you live in, I don'#t know what rates they set in Glasgow but I presume you will be a band A being a one bed, you will probably pay around £100 a month
    Water - On your own should be low, around £15-20 a month depending on supplier
    Gas - £20 a month
    Electric - £15 a month
    TV Licence - £144 a year or divide it into payments with added %
    Broadband - £10 a month with O2
    Home Phone - £11 a month with O2 or slightly higher with BT
    Contents Insurance - £10 a month - Direct Line

Hope this helps chum.

ReputationRep:
    +Rep! (not that I'm the OP or even about to move out, but it's so nice to have a friendly post once in a while, and one that's informative!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duck and Cover)
    +Rep! (not that I'm the OP or even about to move out, but it's so nice to have a friendly post once in a while, and one that's informative!)
    Thank you kind sir.

ReputationRep:
    My flat pcm:

Rent- £425
    Council Tax- £120
    Water- £22
    Electricity (no gas)- £39
    Hot water- £16
    Food- £80
    Internet- £25

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies and the suggestions I didn't ask for, is there anything else I should be looking into? Before I decide anything I'll spend about half an hour on moneysupermarket to find the cheapest provider, but knowing what I've got to go for and what the essentials are is a good way to start preparing for it.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any figures renting with more occupants?
    I'm looking to know what it will be like for a 6 person house.

ReputationRep:
    Divide all of the above figures by six I'd say.

Anyone out there renting as a non-student with someone who is studying?

If the one bedroomed thing doesn't pan out, I'd be interested in flat-sharing but most of my friends are studying so it's worth asking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bartlet)
    Divide all of the above figures by six I'd say.

Anyone out there renting as a non-student with someone who is studying?

If the one bedroomed thing doesn't pan out, I'd be interested in flat-sharing but most of my friends are studying so it's worth asking.
    No. it's not that simple

Council Tax is calculated on the rateable value of the house, so the only difference will be if there's 1 person liable or more than 1, as 1 person generally gets a 25% discount.

Water, if you're on a meter, will be approximately 6 times that of a single person, simply because there's 6 people going for a shower, 6 people going to the toilet, 6 people doing individual loads of washing etc. If you're not on a meter then you pay a flat service rate so that won't change if you've got 1 or 10 people in the house.

Electricity, you're looking at probably between 3-5 times the cost of a single person, depending on the appliances used and how frequently they use the washing machine, how they use their computers.

Gas, the house will be bigger with 6 people, so you'll need to use more to heat it. You'll also need to heat 6 times as much water and do 6 times as much cooking.

Internet, you'll need a much more heavy-duty subscription to cope with 6 users, which will cost more.

So it's not as linear as it first appears.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    No. it's not that simple

Council Tax is calculated on the rateable value of the house, so the only difference will be if there's 1 person liable or more than 1, as 1 person generally gets a 25% discount.

Water, if you're on a meter, will be approximately 6 times that of a single person, simply because there's 6 people going for a shower, 6 people going to the toilet, 6 people doing individual loads of washing etc. If you're not on a meter then you pay a flat service rate so that won't change if you've got 1 or 10 people in the house.

Electricity, you're looking at probably between 3-5 times the cost of a single person, depending on the appliances used and how frequently they use the washing machine, how they use their computers.

Gas, the house will be bigger with 6 people, so you'll need to use more to heat it. You'll also need to heat 6 times as much water and do 6 times as much cooking.

Internet, you'll need a much more heavy-duty subscription to cope with 6 users, which will cost more.

So it's not as linear as it first appears.
    Yes, this is very good advice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.