Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone been there?
    I don't know much about it but it seems to appeal to me some how, I'm quite interested in visiting there but I don't speak any German, will this be a big problem for me?
    Do the people seem nice?

ReputationRep:
    Im inlove with Germany eventhough i haven't been there just like the way im obsessed with UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kristinaalovesu)
    Im inlove with Germany eventhough i haven't been there just like the way im obsessed with UK.
    It seems like a much happier and better working country than the UK, more family orientated or something but I don't know if that's entirely true.

Do you have any idea?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by There will be Particles)
    It seems like a much happier and better working country than the UK, more family orientated or something but I don't know if that's entirely true.

Do you have any idea?
    I've noticed that too about the Germans. They are more family oriented like Spanish people.
    What i don't believe is that, one of my colleague told me that SOME Germans are racist. I don't know how i'd believe it. But then again, i wouldn't notice it if my friend didn't mentioned it before.
    Other than that, it's a very nice country and it's very cheap to live in there too.
    And also, majority of Germans are good looking. :love:

ReputationRep:
    I only know Berlin, and I liked it. Didn't love it though, but it is definitely worth the visit. And nah, you don't need to know German, you're ok with English.

Oh and btw, winter is probably not the best season to go there.

ReputationRep:
    I went to Germany (Pforzheim) as part of my MSc. It was interesting and the people were helpful, especially when it came to directions. It also seems so liberal! For example, they don't seem to really care about charging passengers money on their public transport system.

ReputationRep:
    Germany is amazing - so many awesome cities to visit, each with interesting things to see and do whether you're into history, culture, sight-seeing, partying or all of them! The people are really friendly and generally speak excellent English, although of course it's sensible and good manners to at least learn some basic phrases before you go.

ReputationRep:
    Germany's amazing! I've been to Boppard am Rhein and to Berlin. Boppard was good, but Berlin is my favourite city I've ever been to. It's historic, cultural, exciting, friendly, it's got a real character. It's a far better capital city than London, which I really don't like. I'd really recommend a trip to Berlin. You don't have to speak German, but it helps At least learn some basic vocab. I always think it's better to learn the language before you go somewhere on holiday though, it's just more polite and it means that you can fully immerse yourself in the culture and people, rather than being just another rude English tourist.

ReputationRep:
    they put their equivalent of the money labor put into sprucing up schools into public transport

ReputationRep:
    I've only been to Berlin but that is one of my favourite European capitals. And you'll be more than fine with English. The majority of people I came across seemed to speak at least a little English. Oh yeah, and I found people were super friendly. Had loads of people coming up to me asking if they could help when they saw me peering at a map. Would definitely advise a visit.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in love with Germany! Went there for a cousin's wedding in July and fell for it head over heels :love: In Karlsruhe there are sculptures and art lining the high street, there's a beautiful park/garden, the buildings are beautiful, everyone was so friendly and Germany is a lot more family orientated. People prefer to spend time with relatives than to go out binge drinking. Public transport was amazing as well.

Short version: I want to move there one day.

ReputationRep:
    Germany is on my places to live in at some point of my life list. I have friends that live in Giesen which is in-between Koln and Frankfurt and I must say its one of my favourite cities. Has such a good atmosphere and there is so much to do.

ReputationRep:
    I always found the people friendly - though I'm usually visiting mates in a really small village.

The farm buildings are lovely - they seem to have kept all the old brick barns and farm bldgs instead of ripping them down and putting up metal sheds the way we have in britain. the stuff you notice when you just visit for the odd week now and again...

imo it's like a prettier version of England where everything works properly.

ReputationRep:
    colder than a witches nipple this time of year though... my friends tell me off for parking with the handbrake on when I'm there cos it can freeze on and you have to get it unstuck with a hammer and blowlamp.

oh and the toilets are weird.

ReputationRep:
    I love Germany! They're very big on hospitality over there and always want to make you feel welcome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wren)
    I'm in love with Germany! Went there for a cousin's wedding in July and fell for it head over heels :love: In Karlsruhe there are sculptures and art lining the high street, there's a beautiful park/garden, the buildings are beautiful, everyone was so friendly and Germany is a lot more family orientated. People prefer to spend time with relatives than to go out binge drinking. Public transport was amazing as well.

Short version: I want to move there one day.
    As do I. :love:

ReputationRep:
    Germany is fantastic, but don't expect to be able to buy anything on a Sunday there, especially not in rural areas

I was in Berlin this summer. I was offered cocaine by a 60 year old wife of a diplomat in a loo. Twas fun.

ReputationRep:
      Went on an exchange there and stayed 8 days with a German family. They were lovely, the place was lovely... it was generally wonderful!

ReputationRep:
      I live there.

At my school and where I live, it's not racist at all. Otherwise, it's pretty much like any country - there are a few haters. I suppose Turkish people have the worst rep.

In England people are way politer - even is subways, crowding onto the stairs up and out, there's something like a line. In Germany, there'd be a ball around the entrance to the stairs as everybody shoved towards the stairs with different levels of politeness. Sure, not everybody's a slob, but the crowd mentality is less polite.

Most people speak a little English or will have somebody nearby who does. It's taught in schools as the first foreign language. Sure, people appreciate an effort to speak German, but they actually seem to enjoy speaking English every now and then. You shouldn't have problems there. I sometimes speak English with friends out of habit, and if we're in a shop the cashier will tell us the total in English, just because she heard us speaking English and assumed it'd be nicer for us.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 2011
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.