Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It's 4:55 and im sitting here playing Chess against the computer, I started about an hour and a bit ago, Setting it to level one(out of ten) and progressively raising the dificulty a level whenever I won.

Ive got to six, without a glitch and now im begging to feel the pressure.

I used to be Junior Ranked and this is the first time ive played in Three Years.

Discuss:Chess
    Do you play it?
    Why/not?

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather toss off into my stocking than play that dreadfully boring game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jmzie-Coupe)
    I'd rather toss off into my stocking than play that dreadfully boring game.
    I get bored by things I don't understand often to...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Three Mile Sprint)
    I get bored by things I don't understand often to...
    There's nothing not to understand about the tragically boring game.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing not to understand about the tragically boring game.
    So I presume you play it to a technically exemploary level?

ReputationRep:
    So I presume you play it to a technically exemploary level?
    What's exemploary? Do you mean exemplary? For someone who claims you are clever by playing chess, you aren't.

ReputationRep:
    What's exemploary? Do you mean exemplary? For someone who claims you are clever by playing chess, you aren't.
    I could never spell for ****.(But be fair O is above L, obvious typo is obvious)

Never claimed I was clever for playing chess.

All-though Academically, I am ****ing outstanding.

ReputationRep:
    I could never spell for ****.(But be fair O is above L, obvious typo is obvious)

Never claimed I was clever for playing chess.

All-though Academically, I am ****ing outstanding.
    No you're not, you can't even handle simple spelling, stupid twonk.

ReputationRep:
    No you're not, you can't even handle simple spelling, stupid twonk.
    Spellings a challenge.

You cant handle simple manners, silly cat.

ReputationRep:
    Can you play chess without a board (and a computer)?

Two of my friends can just play in their heads. Clever stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkSenrine)
    Can you play chess without a board (and a computer)?

Two of my friends can just play in their heads. Clever stuff.
    No..

*Hangs head in shame*

I can do a hand-stand though...

I lie, I cant do that either.

ReputationRep:
    I was hoping for a good thread, but nope, bored people got here first. It's a great game, but i don't play it as much as i'd like to or used to. It's stimulating and a game purely about skill. A good way to spend a few hours.

ReputationRep:
    It's a fantastic game, but I'm not great at it - I don't know whether this is because I just don't have a logical mind, or I've never learned properly.

^I learnt quite a few opening permutations to get good at it, but always slip up in the later stages of the game - probably because of rash decisions.

I often have the problem where I can never find anyone around my level to play outside of the Internet - it's either obsessive teenagers who spend 4 hours every day studying openings and know Tigran Petrosian's biography off by heart, or people who don't even know how the board's set up.

It's sad because it can get deeply depressing playing against either chess engines or trolls on chess websites.

Oh well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkSenrine)
    It's a fantastic game, but I'm not great at it - I don't know whether this is because I just don't have a logical mind, or I've never learned properly.

^I learnt quite a few opening permutations to get good at it, but always slip up in the later stages of the game - probably because of rash decisions.

I often have the problem where I can never find anyone around my level to play outside of the Internet - it's either obsessive teenagers who spend 4 hours every day studying openings and know Tigran Petrosian's biography off by heart, or people who don't even know how the board's set up.

It's sad because it can get deeply depressing playing against either chess engines or trolls on chess websites.

Oh well.
    I run into this problem quite a lot, when I went through the transition from Junior competition to adult, I peaked(and I didnt peak well)

I found that I couldent compete at all ,against what is regarded as a "Good standard of player" in the Competative Circuit, yet I couldent find anyone I knew who could give me a challenge on a social level.

Lost in a horrible void..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.