Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can't go to GP but having rapid heart beat, what to do? Watch

I caught a cold during the first batch of snow. I was out and about in the cold for too long, very stressed and not eating too well, so I guess it was inevitable. Anyway, I had a fever that lasted for quite a few days. Pains and aches, lack of energy, no sleep. I tried to get enough rest and drank plenty of water and other supplements. It seemed to go away, but then a nasty cough came on, lasted for the better part of a week, feeling slightly better now.

Problem is, my heart rate is a bit high, especially today. I'm anaemic and have been taking iron supplements to deal with lack of breath e.t.c. But it seems it's not having any effect this time round? Is it the infection in my body raising the heart rate? I'm trying to think of what to do, apart from continous monitoring (if all goes really really bad then I'll have to call 999) I can't go to A and E as it's far away and I haven't got any bus fare (I'm in a ridiculous situation), Can't see GP for the same reason as well. Shall I just relax and focus on treating the cough and just calm down?

I'm scared to be honest

ReputationRep:
    It could be either of those things you mentioned really but yes I expect fever or infection would increase your heart rate. Although getting stressed/thinking about it too much could also be adding to it, along with you generally being unwell. Get some rest and take it easy. You can always call NHS direct and have a chat with them - their number is 0845 4647. Feel better soon!

ReputationRep:
    Ive had bouts of rapid heartbeat, usually goes away after about 30-60mins.

How fast is your hear actually beating?

Id just call nhs direct like lights says, or if you are in scotland nhs24 08454 242424

Even if it is nothing, better to put your mind at rest by speaking to someone

(Original post by Lights)
    It could be either of those things you mentioned really but yes I expect fever or infection would increase your heart rate. Although getting stressed/thinking about it too much could also be adding to it, along with you generally being unwell. Get some rest and take it easy. You can always call NHS direct and have a chat with them - their number is 0845 4647. Feel better soon!
    I've done their symptoms checker on their websites and loads of things come up, I'll actually give them a call. Otherwise it seems things haven't got very bad as I feared.

(Original post by pink_flower)
    Ive had bouts of rapid heartbeat, usually goes away after about 30-60mins.

How fast is your hear actually beating?

Id just call nhs direct like lights says, or if you are in scotland nhs24 08454 242424

Even if it is nothing, better to put your mind at rest by speaking to someone
    Will definitely call them

ReputationRep:
    Don't call 999 because of a fast heart beat, ffs. 999 is for emergencies, stick to NHS direct if you really need to speak to someone. Anything can cause your heart rate to rise - food, infection, coughing... but most importantly worrying about it will send your heart rate through the roof. "Continuous monitoring" will not help you at all, your best bet is to rest and frankly, forget about your heart rate for now.

(Original post by Cybele)
    Don't call 999 because of a fast heart beat, ffs. 999 is for emergencies, stick to NHS direct if you really need to speak to someone. Anything can cause your heart rate to rise - food, infection, coughing... but most importantly worrying about it will send your heart rate through the roof. "Continuous monitoring" will not help you at all, your best bet is to rest and frankly, forget about your heart rate for now.
    i'm resting a lot too, thanks

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 24, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.