Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have I covered enough to begin Spanish A-Level? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys! This is my first time posting on TSR after chronic lurking, so no flaming please. I am an international student about to begin A-levels in the UK. I really want to do Spanish as an A-level, but I've never done the GCSE (I'll check with my school to see if this is possible :shifty:)

In my free time, I have already covered the present tense, imperfect, preterite, perfect continuous, future, all forms of the verb haber + past participle including the pluperfect and the subjunctive, perfect and imperfect subjunctive and the conditional. Also, I have gone through some irregular verbs and stem changing verbs, and some prepositions.

I like to scout out Spanish-speaking people online to practise my Spanish with, but I find that I am still lacking some vocab. Will this pose as a major problem in A-level? I've never actually had a Spanish teacher, so all my knowledge come from helpful language exchange partners online and grammar books.

Am I prepared enough to do AS level next year? Will my lack of GCSE pose as an issue?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by googaa)
    Hi guys! This is my first time posting on TSR after chronic lurking, so no flaming please. I am an international student about to begin A-levels in the UK. I really want to do Spanish as an A-level, but I've never done the GCSE (I'll check with my school to see if this is possible :shifty:)

In my free time, I have already covered the present tense, imperfect, preterite, perfect continuous, future, all forms of the verb haber + past participle including the pluperfect and the subjunctive, perfect and imperfect subjunctive and the conditional. Also, I have gone through some irregular verbs and stem changing verbs, and some prepositions.

I like to scout out Spanish-speaking people online to practise my Spanish with, but I find that I am still lacking some vocab. Will this pose as a major problem in A-level? I've never actually had a Spanish teacher, so all my knowledge come from helpful language exchange partners online and grammar books.

Am I prepared enough to do AS level next year? Will my lack of GCSE pose as an issue?
    You've covered a lot of grammar, which will definitely come in handy at AS Level. I do have my concerns that a school will let sit AS Level without having a GCSE. At my school, everyone that took Spanish AS got at least an A/A* at GCSE - anything under and we were not allowed to sit it.

Have a word with the teacher, see what they say. You sound like you could do it.

ReputationRep:
    I cannot see it being a problem at all, it's just going to take a bit of hard work on your part, i.e. vocabulary building your free time as it seems that you've already got a basic grounding in the grammar. I know people who started Spanish from scratch at degree level; they're finding it tough, but still manage to pull through. You've already been exposed to the language through your self-tuition up until now, so I honestly cannot see it being a problem doing AS Spanish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ross E)
    You've covered a lot of grammar, which will definitely come in handy at AS Level. I do have my concerns that a school will let sit AS Level without having a GCSE. At my school, everyone that took Spanish AS got at least an A/A* at GCSE - anything under and we were not allowed to sit it.

Have a word with the teacher, see what they say. You sound like you could do it.
    Thank you, but I'm starting to doubt myself. I still have so many difficulties expressing myself in ways a GCSE student should not have. For example, just today I tried to type something like "I would love to listen to your voice in Spanish, but I am not too sure what words I want to hear you say."

What I came up with in the end was something like: "Me encantaría escuchar tu voz en español pero no estoy tan segura lo que quiero oir de ti."

But no matter how I look at it it just sounds so off .. like I was trying to figure out where to insert the subjunctive (or whether it was really needed at all). I mean, a student having studied GCSE wouldn't even have a problem trying to express themselves in such a way, so I'm starting to wonder whether or not I am even up to GCSE standard, let alone A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I am English but I lived in Spain for 8 years and I went to school there, I'd be happy to help if you ever needed it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Modestmouse)
    I cannot see it being a problem at all, it's just going to take a bit of hard work on your part, i.e. vocabulary building your free time as it seems that you've already got a basic grounding in the grammar. I know people who started Spanish from scratch at degree level; they're finding it tough, but still manage to pull through. You've already been exposed to the language through your self-tuition up until now, so I honestly cannot see it being a problem doing AS Spanish.
    Thank you! What sort of vocab do you think is relevant for A-levels? I've been *trying* to listen to BBC Mundo but I can never seem to be able to concentrate!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DubarryGroom)
    Hi! I am English but I lived in Spain for 8 years and I went to school there, I'd be happy to help if you ever needed it!
    ¡Muchísimas gracias! Hay una manera que puedes ayudarme ... habla conmigo por TSR PM y trata de correctar mis faltas xD

ReputationRep:
    A possibility would be to see if your school would allow you to sit the GCSE then if you do well, to go for the A-Level in a year? If you've got a good grammatical understanding, I reckon you could cover the content pretty easily.

ReputationRep:
    Tienes Skype?

ReputationRep:
    desafortunadamente, no pues sólo tengo MSN pero prefiero que hablemos por TSR desde es más fácil :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche)
    A possibility would be to see if your school would allow you to sit the GCSE then if you do well, to go for the A-Level in a year? If you've got a good grammatical understanding, I reckon you could cover the content pretty easily.
    I reckon that's a good idea. Would it waste time, though? I mean, spending a year preparing for GCSEs before moving on to A-Levels ... I'd be paying a hell lot of money studying in the UK so I suppose I'm trying to save up on the costs

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! What sort of vocab do you think is relevant for A-levels? I've been *trying* to listen to BBC Mundo but I can never seem to be able to concentrate!
    One of the best ways I've found to learn vocab is using a picture dictionary (I'm a bit of a visual learner) and using quizlet.com with their vocab cards.

I think it's good to know everyday stuff and stuff that you'll need for the A-level exams, i.e. school vocab, environment vocab. Try and learn 10 words a day using quizlet or whatever method works best for you. If you're disciplined, you'll easily get a good grade at A-level.

Listening to Spanish radio will help a lot and I know it isn't easy at first. but you'll soon get used to it. Also watch Spanish TV and films; at this stage you may want to put English or SPanish subtitles on though.

ReputationRep:
    Also you may want to buy 'Palabra por Palabra' (sorry if this is incorrect, I don't speak a word of Spanish) which has uselful words and expressions for A-level students.

The French and Germn equivalents are 'Mot a Mot' and 'Wort fuer Wort' respectively. These helped me a lot when I did my A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    umm just to let you know... i read the spanish you typed in this post and its easily AS standard without a doubt. the subjunctive doesn't need to be learnt until A2 for a start!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Modestmouse)
    One of the best ways I've found to learn vocab is using a picture dictionary (I'm a bit of a visual learner) and using quizlet.com with their vocab cards.

I think it's good to know everyday stuff and stuff that you'll need for the A-level exams, i.e. school vocab, environment vocab. Try and learn 10 words a day using quizlet or whatever method works best for you. If you're disciplined, you'll easily get a good grade at A-level.

Listening to Spanish radio will help a lot and I know it isn't easy at first. but you'll soon get used to it. Also watch Spanish TV and films; at this stage you may want to put English or SPanish subtitles on though.
    This is quite interesting. I've never actually heard of quizlet.com so I'm going there now!

WHAAT you can do that?! How? :nooo: I've been watching all sorts of movies, four seasons of El Internado and two seasons of Los Serrano entirely in Spanish. English subtitles don't seem to exist!

ReputationRep:
    Some colleges don't allow students to take up A-level languages without the relevant GCSE, but from what you've posted you'll be able to do the AS year. Just confirm with your teacher, and tell them everything you've told us

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Spanish A2, if you want to maintain the level that you're at now I'd suggest doing what I do and read Spanish broadsheets daily (El Pais, El Mundo etc.) and - as someone suggested above - watch Spanish TV, http://www.rtve.es/alacarta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMeister)
    I'm doing Spanish A2, if you want to maintain the level that you're at now I'd suggest doing what I do and read Spanish broadsheets daily (El Pais, El Mundo etc.) and - as someone suggested above - watch Spanish TV, http://www.rtve.es/alacarta
    Thank you so much for the advice! A friend sent me that link a while ago, but the videos won't load properly on my computer!

I do read 20minutos.es occasionally, but it's articles like these ones that turn me off a bit: http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/9131...eyerta/madrid/ :sad:

ReputationRep:
    This is quite interesting. I've never actually heard of quizlet.com so I'm going there now!

WHAAT you can do that?! How? :nooo: I've been watching all sorts of movies, four seasons of El Internado and two seasons of Los Serrano entirely in Spanish. English subtitles don't seem to exist!
    Yeah, assuming that these are DVDs you can turn on English or Spanish subtitles on the main menu or even have the film dubbed in English with Spanish subtitles (!)

If you find reading news articles dull then maybe try to get your hands on music/fashion/film magazines in Spanish or whatever (I read Empire in German). Again it takes time to get used to.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why not, a boy in my AS spanish has never done spanish before

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.