Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Positive/negative expiriences with prescription drugs Watch

ReputationRep:
    I used to have a prescription of 10mg diazepam (valium) and it started off as quite possibly the calmest couple of months of my entire life. But I got quite irresponsible with the doses and it took a nasty turn.

anyone else had things work out similarly or worked out for the better?

ReputationRep:
    Diazepam is good for emergency situations (presentations for example), i had to take at least 15mg too feel much though. You start taking it regularly, and your ****ed. One of the worst addictions you can have.

Only prescription drug i have done anyway, prescription drugs are mostly nasty things with bad side effects.

ReputationRep:
    I was on amitriptyline for a while, though technically for pain relief rather than its anti-depressant qualities.
    It made sleep for up to 14 hours a day >.<
    I gave it up after 2 months of taking it irregularly 'cos I couldn't stand the side effects.
    I'm on gabapentin now which is wonderful. Don't even notice I'm on it, except for the pain relief. Best thing about it is it's not addictive [I've had problems before] but I have to be careful only to take the exact dose I'm on as you have to wean yourslef on and off of it.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredscarecrow)
    I was on amitriptyline for a while, though technically for pain relief rather than its anti-depressant qualities.
    It made sleep for up to 14 hours a day &gt;.&lt;
    I gave it up after 2 months of taking it irregularly 'cos I couldn't stand the side effects.
    I'm on gabapentin now which is wonderful. Don't even notice I'm on it, except for the pain relief. Best thing about it is it's not addictive [I've had problems before] but I have to be careful only to take the exact dose I'm on as you have to wean yourslef on and off of it.
    I'm on Amitriptyline now and it's making me sleep loads! Although I've been on it a month and that seems to be wearing off slightly.

ReputationRep:
    Penicillin can send me into anaphalactic shock - not quite the same, but still a pretty negative experience with prescription drugs. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I had to go to hospital once after a Prozac OD. I found it in some cupboard at the age of 7 thinking they were sweets, ROFL.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    prozac: made me feel like I total ****, to "omg I'm about to die" proportions.

olanzapine: put on 3 stone in a few weeks and slept 20hours a day. Sometimes more. :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    prozac: made me feel like I total ****, to "omg I'm about to die" proportions.

olanzapine: put on 3 stone in a few weeks and slept 20hours a day. Sometimes more. :afraid:
    I concur with this ^

Olanzapine is a horrible medication.

ReputationRep:
    Only negative experience Ive had is with Metronidazole. I have never been so ill, my whole body literally felt like it was shutting down. I couldnt talk properly, all my words were getting mixed up, couldnt think straight and I was in a complete stupor for the whole time I was taking it. Never had a reaction like that before to medication.

Only other pills I've had a 'problem' with are ibuprofen. Whilst I was a teenager I became quite addicted to them. I was taking the maximum dose nearly every day, this carried on for years and I didnt even realise. But I honestly felt that I could not get through the day without taking them, it was as though they would 'protect' me in some way. I had a stomach ulcer last year and I suspect it all goes back to the amount of tablets I used to take.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tbm)

Only other pills I've had a 'problem' with are ibuprofen. Whilst I was a teenager I became quite addicted to them. I was taking the maximum dose nearly every day, this carried on for years and I didnt even realise. But I honestly felt that I could not get through the day without taking them, it was as though they would 'protect' me in some way. I had a stomach ulcer last year and I suspect it all goes back to the amount of tablets I used to take.
    I don't think people realise how dangerous it can be - Ibuprofen and paracetamol were the drugs I had problems with. I'd be taking about 10 a day at the height of my problem - I suffered from hideous panic attacks and found that ibuprofen stopped some of the panic, and after a while they became something I couldn't be without..but the amount i needed went up and up. Whether it was physical or psychological addiction, I don't know but it was horrible. It was only when I'd made myself very sick one day and come up with a horrible full-body rash that something kicked in and I managed to go cold turkey. I still have to be careful now, I can take painkillers, but until recently I couldn't just have packets lying around as I would just take them constantly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tbm)
    That's not a problem with ibuprofen, ibuprofen has no addictive qualities at all. That sounds very much like a psychological issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)
    That's not a problem with ibuprofen, ibuprofen has no addictive qualities at all. That sounds very much like a psychological issue.
    I never said I was physically addicted. I used to them them because mentally I could not get through the day without them,.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tbm)
    I never said I was physically addicted. I used to them them because mentally I could not get through the day without them,.
    I know, I was just saying that it wasn't related to the actual drug itself, any more than it's the fault of the light switch when you get OCD sufferers who have to flick them on an off umpteen times.

ReputationRep:
    sounds like there's a recurring theme of dependance, which is to be expected I guess.
    One of the issues I had personally was my prescription was taken away abruptly after months of taking at least 30-50mg a day which I don't think the doctor really thought through
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I had a horrendous time with citalopram. Good 2-3 weeks of nasty side effects, then they went away. Then they came back again with a vengeance :fuhrer:

I went and told my GP I couldn't afford to be in such a state when I had a dissertation to write and exams to revise for, so he put me on Prozac instead. That worked nicely... except it stopped working a few times before my Finals. That was fun :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    I was really struggling with anxiety early this year, and went to a **** of a doctor who prescribed me an anti-psychotic usually given to schizophrenics (but at a low dosage) to help with the panic attacks to take "when needed." I've always hated medication, so I didn't take it at first. Had a REALLY bad week a few months later though, got myself into a state and ended up taking some. Worst week of my life, it messed me up so badly.

From then on I have flatly refused to take any form of prescription drug, even when I had depression. I decided to get out of it myself. The doctor I saw afterward was shocked when he saw what the stupid prat had prescribed me - I knew from the start something wasn't right about it, but no one listened to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    I concur with this ^

Olanzapine is a horrible medication.
    I've been on olanzapine for six months and never had any problems. Guess I was just lucky.

Quetiapine, on the other hand, made me horribly ill, it was like having a really bad case of the flu, I could barely even walk and my brain turned to complete mush.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    I had a horrendous time with citalopram. Good 2-3 weeks of nasty side effects, then they went away. Then they came back again with a vengeance :fuhrer:
    what side effects did you get from it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    I've been on olanzapine for six months and never had any problems. Guess I was just lucky.

Quetiapine, on the other hand, made me horribly ill, it was like having a really bad case of the flu, I could barely even walk and my brain turned to complete mush.
    We're polar opposites of each other then Quetiapine is what I take now and other than making me really sleepy in the mornings I've had no major issues with it and it does what I want it to, but conversely I have heard from others than quetiapine has been awful for them, very sedating apparently.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fire_eyed_boy)
    what side effects did you get from it?
    The first bout of side effects was mainly headaches, constipation and bad nausea. Irritating but manageable.

Second time round, it was awful. I wasn't steady on my feet at all and wasn't even able to sit up properly some of the time. Walking slowed down too. I was getting only about 4 hours sleep on average and couldn't really eat anything, so was running on one meal a day.

What made everything worse the second time round was that all this happened to coincide with the main rehearsal block, run-up to and performances of some plays I was stage managing. So I couldn't lie in bed and feel sorry for myself as I would usually do but was instead running around like a mad person trying to organise a cast of 40 people :sigh:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.