Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is your family nosey about your gf/bf? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Merry Christmas people!

Ok. So I'm come from a very close muslim family and find it very difficult to have girlfriends. This is because my father asks all sorts of questions and wants to know every detail. Basically nothing is private in the family and perhaps it's good like that. Anyway consequently I feel a little embarrassed.

What's it like with your family and how do you deal with questions?

ReputationRep:
    My mum wants to know everything about my bf, but we're not religious. She's just nosy.

ReputationRep:
    And how do you feel telling her all about him?

ReputationRep:
    My parents know about my gf before I even bring her home. My mums part of this group of afterschool mums that gossip to no avail. It's the most annoying thing.

If there was something actively wrong with my gf they would care e.g. she had a reputation for messing guys around or an asbo. When it comes to other stuff they don't care though. They aren't exactly gonna grill her on her future and her plans etc.

I don't know if all muslim dads do this but when I met my guy muslim friends dad he was asking me about my career and my A-level choices etc. Like seriously grilling me. So if that's how he reacted to one of his son's friends god knows how he'd react to someone who was a gf or worse if his daughter brought a boy home. In this case I don't think the girl could just bring a boy home. It seems like they have to go down a different chanel if that makes sense. Meeting parents first etc.

ReputationRep:
    My Nan is the nosiest: "how many siblings has he got?", "where does he work?", "what are his parents like?", "where does he live?" etc.

My Mum goes more for the 'how is the relationship questions' : "why hasn't he replied?", "have you argued?", "have you broken up?", "are you not as close anymore"...

ReputationRep:
    Nope.

My parents know to keep their opinions/questions to themselves. The family friend likes to ask intimate questions, I like to give intimate answers. Funny to see a reaction, never seen a man blush so fast in all my life!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah 3 years into this relationship and my parents are still trying to get gossip on my gf, or her family. V annoying!

ReputationRep:
    Very. I'm Pakistani and Muslim, too, so I completely feel your pain. Me Mum's the most nosiest in the fam, though.

Merry Christmas to you too!

ReputationRep:
    My mum is very nosy about my bf, and constantly asks questions about him. She doesn't mean to and I've told her to try and stop asking so many questions, but she just can't help herself
    My dad isn't nearly as bad and has hardly asked anything.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 24, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.