Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm a first year maths student at Portsmouth Uni and (due to circumstances out of my control) I have failed the Mathematical Thinking unit (comprised of two relatively small and simple pieces or coursework).

Will I really have to retake the whole year for this one unit? This is easily the smallest unit of around 5 we do this year.

A panicked Kudos92.

ReputationRep:
    No I shouldn't think so. You should be allowed to retake the failed coursework (probably replaced with an exam) in the retake period in Summer. And then if you fail that you may be allowed to drag the unit into second year. Take a look in your course hand books about what the procedure is, or on Victory as that should have some info on it.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    You may have the chance to resubmit - speak to your lecturers when you go back.

ReputationRep:
    At my uni the policy is you get 1 chance to resubmit, with marks capped at a maximum of 50%. If you fail at the second attempt then you normally have the re-do the module again, whether that be in your second year or having to redo the whole first year (everywhere is different so check with your tutor). They should have really given you the information on what to do next when you had your marks back.

ReputationRep:
    As has already been said, the procedure does vary, so I recommend that you check your Student Handbook or speak to a member of academic staff in your department. Sometimes, if an average mark is used, you do not need to pass every aspect of the assessment in order to pass the module. You will usually be allowed a resubmission attempty, which may be capped unless you have Mitigating Circumstances. If you do, these can often be taken in to account retrospectively, but you will need to explain the reasons why the evidence was not available at the time. If you fail the assignment again, it is likely you will need to re-take it (if it is a core module especially) in the second year. You may be entitled to substitute it for another one which has the same value in terms of the number of learning hours.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.