Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

using the same serial number of 64 bit win7 for 32 bit win7 Watch

ReputationRep:
    hiya, i have 64bit win7 home premium on my laptop but would like to change it to 32 bit, i will be using my old 32bit win7 rc to do this, is it possible to use the same serial number as the one that was given to me for the 64bit version? i also have an old laptop which broke and that had 32bit win7 home premiuim which i havent used for bout 10 months, will i be able to use that serial number instead? thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eugenius 8)
    hiya, i have 64bit win7 home premium on my laptop but would like to change it to 32 bit, i will be using my old 32bit win7 rc to do this, is it possible to use the same serial number as the one that was given to me for the 64bit version? i also have an old laptop which broke and that had 32bit win7 home premiuim which i havent used for bout 10 months, will i be able to use that serial number instead? thanks
    No I don't believe you will be able to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenny_uk)
    No I don't believe you will be able to
    damn thanks

ReputationRep:
    No, you can't. The algorithms are different. Why are you downgrading, anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    No, you can't. The algorithms are different. Why are you downgrading, anyway?
    a few old games/programs which i wana play dont work on 64bit

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure it's because you've got a 64 bit OS, not just that it's windows 7?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eugenius 8)
    a few old games/programs which i wana play dont work on 64bit
    Are they old 16bit games? Have you tried compatibility mode?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somebody else)
    Are you sure it's because you've got a 64 bit OS, not just that it's windows 7?
    well it worked with win7 32 bit on compatiblity mode..

(Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Are they old 16bit games? Have you tried compatibility mode?
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    I had this problem with some old games. I just changed the Compatibility mode under the 'Compatibility' tab in 'Properties'.
    nah i think theyre all 32bit, tried compatility mode still doesn't work, but ive used win7 rc and my old serial number seemed to have worked :lolwut: for now :p:

thanks guys

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 28, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.