Turn on thread page Beta

GS IBD Interview watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, just got invited to the 1st round for GS IBD Summer Internship. Anyone got some info/tips on this in particular? I've got some past finance experience so I guess it could get quite technical. How is the numerical/verbal test? Standard shl? Is it true this one is conducted without a calculator?

Merry X-mas!

ReputationRep:
    numerical test is non calculator, SHL style questions but with easier numbers.

If you can do things like 245/7 in 3 seconds or less then it will be easier than other tests.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acies)
    numerical test is non calculator, SHL style questions but with easier numbers.

If you can do things like 245/7 in 3 seconds or less then it will be easier than other tests.
    Are there any "easy" numerical tests around which are similar to these for practicing without a calc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mortarmaker)
    Are there any "easy" numerical tests around which are similar to these for practicing without a calc?
    http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/tests/mathstest.htm

One of their numerical tests is a non calc based one.

Other than that if you practice the calc ones, and at the same time practice your mental maths it should be fine.

For mental maths, if you go to my site, on the right hand side theres a link to an online mental maths site that lets you practice and time yourself.

ReputationRep:
    I heard that GS stopped doing numericals this year. Can anyone that actually went to a GS IBD AC this year for a grad or summer position confirm this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Carter)
    I heard that GS stopped doing numericals this year. Can anyone that actually went to a GS IBD AC this year for a grad or summer position confirm this?
    Presumably only for First Round interviews?

ReputationRep:
    If I'm not wrong, GS doesn't do numerical or verbal tests. I'm pretty sure they don't conduct assessment centres as part of the application process. Interviews - how technical it gets really depends on who's interviewing you and their mood on that day, but first rounds tend to be more about fit and it gets more technical as you progress.

ReputationRep:
    I hear GS interview a lot of people for first rounds though - do you think they can suitably filter out enough people based on fit initially?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Libertarian)
    I hear GS interview a lot of people for first rounds though - do you think they can suitably filter out enough people based on fit initially?
    Absolutely

first rounds at GS arent all fit, there markets/technicals thrown in there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rodarte)
    I'm pretty sure they don't conduct assessment centres as part of the application process. Interviews - how technical it gets really depends on who's interviewing you and their mood on that day, but first rounds tend to be more about fit and it gets more technical as you progress.
    (Original post by acies)
    first rounds at GS arent all fit, there markets/technicals thrown in there.
    Agree with both of the above. I went through the whole process last year and although the first round isn't all fit it definitey holds an emphasis on the interviewers (metaphorical) score cards - in my opinion. The first round technical questions I was asked were reserved for only one of my interviews and they were simple arithmetic questions to be done in my head - each one takes a couple of seconds, just keep your cool and they'll be suitably impressed to move on to more of a chat. However another point made above is that it depends on who interviews you...very true! I was lucky in the sense that I never encountered a single interviewer that I didn't get along with (despite the horror stories of GS interviews, they're pretty relaxed if they think they could get a long with you on a daily basis). Note in my second round I was given more brainteaser style quant questions, but this is by no means a general rule - just a heads up to prepare for different styles of quant questions.

Finally just to clarify the first point made - it's true GS don't conduct ACs it's all interview based after the necessary tests.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fizzles81)
    Agree with both of the above. I went through the whole process last year and although the first round isn't all fit it definitey holds an emphasis on the interviewers (metaphorical) score cards - in my opinion. The first round technical questions I was asked were reserved for only one of my interviews and they were simple arithmetic questions to be done in my head - each one takes a couple of seconds, just keep your cool and they'll be suitably impressed to move on to more of a chat. However another point made above is that it depends on who interviews you...very true! I was lucky in the sense that I never encountered a single interviewer that I didn't get along with (despite the horror stories of GS interviews, they're pretty relaxed if they think they could get a long with you on a daily basis). Note in my second round I was given more brainteaser style quant questions, but this is by no means a general rule - just a heads up to prepare for different styles of quant questions.

Finally just to clarify the first point made - it's true GS don't conduct ACs it's all interview based after the necessary tests.
    Is your experience IBD? I'm Sales so I was hoping that there would be less quant content to the interview.

ReputationRep:
    Is your experience IBD? I'm Sales so I was hoping that there would be less quant content to the interview.
    I've applied for sales as well to GS, have you heard back from them yet? If so, when did you apply? How are you preparing for the nest stage, there don't seem to be many Sales resources online, lot's for trading and IBD though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zef99)
    I've applied for sales as well to GS, have you heard back from them yet? If so, when did you apply?
    The_Libertarian, last year my experience was with IBD - this year I applied to Securities and experienced much the same, however I did state trading as my main preference which merits quite a bit of quant content I suppose.

zef99, my first round interview was about 2 weeks ago - however I have already accpeted an offer elsewhere and withdrawn my GS application so I'm not sure whether 2nd round interviewees have been invited yet.

ReputationRep:
    The_Libertarian, last year my experience was with IBD - this year I applied to Securities and experienced much the same, however I did state trading as my main preference which merits quite a bit of quant content I suppose.

zef99, my first round interview was about 2 weeks ago - however I have already accpeted an offer elsewhere and withdrawn my GS application so I'm not sure whether 2nd round interviewees have been invited yet.
    Congrats on your offer! Regarding your GS application, was this for a grad position or summer internship? I've been led to believe the first round for securities, IBD, anything really, is largely competency based and then maybe a few markets questions, simple brainteasers, as well as the usual why investment banking, why GS etc.
    Would you agree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Econstud)
    Congrats on your offer! Regarding your GS application, was this for a grad position or summer internship? I've been led to believe the first round for securities, IBD, anything really, is largely competency based and then maybe a few markets questions, simple brainteasers, as well as the usual why investment banking, why GS etc.
    Would you agree?
    Thank you! Both of the GS apps I've referred to were for summer internships - I am penultimate year now. Yes I would agree, like I said earlier in my first round last year I only got a couple of arithmetic questions in one interview and then he moved on to competency. The rest of the interviews were fairly chilled and all about competency - "give me an example of a time...", etc.

I say chilled when I talk about the competency questions because at that point it's just a chat. As long as you have a mental stack of examples to cover all the bases and you can articulate well, this part of the interview is golden in my opinion. Also, I wouldn't worry about making examples market based or all academic. This year I've had interviews that started with a teamwork question, I mentioned sport, and the rest of the interview was all about that.

Good luck with it all! It can actually be a laugh if you get an interviewer you click with

ReputationRep:
    I'd say that it really depends on your interviewer. You should definitely expect something brainteaser-like, however how technical the interview becomes depends both on your background and the "style" of the person interviewing you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zef99)
    I've applied for sales as well to GS, have you heard back from them yet? If so, when did you apply? How are you preparing for the nest stage, there don't seem to be many Sales resources online, lot's for trading and IBD though...

Thanks fizzles81, you're a great source of information.

zef99: yes I've also applied for Sales (and Research) and got notified by e-mail a few days ago that I have an interview coming up in January. I hear quite a few LSE people have interviews at GS in a few different divisions, but I haven't heard about other universities so I imagine it might just be for our university. Where are you studying?

I plan to read up about Sales - go through the forums and try and make sure I can answer everything that people have suggested. I have a friend starting IBD graduate position at GS next year so I plan to ask him what kind of response they'll be looking for when it comes to 'fit'. I agree though, there is a large absence of Sales-specific resources around but TSR IB&C is dominated by Traders (even more so than IBD).

Have you come across any good sources for Sales? Feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk further without cluttering up this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Glad I could help. Just one more thing - I know you directed it at zef99 but maybe another response might help as well - I study at Durham and so I wouldn't worry about where you study; I don't think there is a correlation with when you are seen to. It might be more of a when you applied thing - equally, it could just be random! For the record I applied October 1st or 2nd.

ReputationRep:
    Have you come across any good sources for Sales? Feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk further without cluttering up this thread.
    Just sent you a PM with a link to an article all about Sales and Trading...it's quite in depth!

ReputationRep:
    By the way, can someone point me in the direction of finding recent GS M&A Deals ?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.