Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm not fully sure on the concept of the golgi body.

Its a series of flattened sacs formed when the vesicles from the ends of RER get pinched off, and then these small vesicles fuse together to form it right.

1) However, I'm not sure where the carbohydrates that make the glycoproteins come from ?

2) Along with the flattened sacs, is there also smooth ER present within the sacs ? Because I read that the golgi body is a place where lipids are also synthesised and transported, but I got confused as to why this occurs.

ReputationRep:
    What is the numerical error of a 2ml pipette?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blah_blah2345)
    What is the numerical error of a 2ml pipette?
    Don't hijack someone else's thread with a completely different question; try starting a new topic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gelato)
    I'm not fully sure on the concept of the golgi body.

Its a series of flattened sacs formed when the vesicles from the ends of RER get pinched off, and then these small vesicles fuse together to form it right.

1) However, I'm not sure where the carbohydrates that make the glycoproteins come from ?

2) Along with the flattened sacs, is there also smooth ER present within the sacs ? Because I read that the golgi body is a place where lipids are also synthesised and transported, but I got confused as to why this occurs.
    1) The golgi bodies receive vesicles from the rough endoplasmic reticulum. They receive proteins from the RER and they will add carbohydrates to them. The golgi bodies can also make their own carbohydrates.

2) The smooth ER is structurally seperate from the golgi bodies.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.