x Turn on thread page Beta

Have I Got News For You? watch

• View Poll Results: Who do you prefer?
    Ian Hislop
    60.32%
    Paul Merton
    39.68%

ReputationRep:
    I would like to initiate some General Discussion over who is the preferred comedian: Ian Hislop or Paul Merton?

Who would you prefer to invite to your dinner table? Who makes you laugh more? Who is funnier? Who is wittier? etc. etc. etc.

ReputationRep:
    Oh man...probably Ian Hislop. He's not a comedian like Paul Merton is but I love his wit and satire

ReputationRep:
    I prefer Ian Hislop and find him a funnier and generally better person. Paul Merton can be funny but I get the vibe that he doesn't like being outdone and when someone cracks a funnier joke than him, he hates it and brings all the attention back to him. :no: That's the impression I get.

ReputationRep:
    Paul Merton, purely for his facial expressions at times I just find him a lot funnier than Ian, who strikes me as more of a grumpy old git than Paul
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Ian Hislop.. All he ever does is seem to complain :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    They are both wonderful. That's a really tough question.
    (I think Ian wins it slightly)

ReputationRep:
    Paul Merton.. come on what's up with you people!

ReputationRep:
    I love watching HIGNFY. I've never got that impression about Paul Merton, though. I'm very fond of him, in that odd way an audience can be - and Ian Hislop, too. I think Private Eye is a brilliant institution and he, I think, is the political heart of the show, Paul being the comedic heart, or something - but I suppose I prefer Paul. I was going to write why but I thought, nah, I'll show 'em instead.

ReputationRep:
    Ian Hislop, no question. Paul is funny sometimes, but Ian, especially in the last few series, has been absolutely razor sharp.

He's also got lots of very public interests that would be fun to talk about.

And he's definitely more politically literate than Paul.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melancholy)
    I would like to initiate some General Discussion over who is the preferred comedian: Ian Hislop or Paul Merton?

Who would you prefer to invite to your dinner table? Who makes you laugh more? Who is funnier? Who is wittier? etc. etc. etc.
    Paul Merton, beacause he is funnier......

ReputationRep:
    Ian Hislop, he enjoys ripping the piss out of politicians, Merton just seems annoying these days, repeats jokes until the audience get aroud to laughing and makes funny faces. Meh.

I remember reading that Paul Merton left because he was bored with the show them came back. Much like Seth McFarlane I don't think he enjoys his work anymore, probably only came back because it was a steady pay cheque.

ReputationRep:
    paul merton is just not funny.

ReputationRep:
    I really like them both, but Ian seems to be more accommodating to the guests and laughs at their jokes, or at least pulls a wtf face, whereas it always just seems to cut to Paul staring away at the audience, so I think for the sake of a more genial atmosphere Ian would be my guest.

ReputationRep:
    has to be Ian Hislop

ReputationRep:
    It's a hard choice, but Ian Hislop is so on the ball!

ReputationRep:
    Ian Hislop because he has a degree from Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    Paul Merton. I can understand that he is an acquired taste, most probably because his style of comedy doesn't real fit into modern styles of comedy. He is a bit old-fashioned in his subject matter and delivery, but that's hardly surprising when you consider who some of his "heroes" are.

Ian Hislop has definitely improved over the last few years. I wasn't a big fan of his before, but he is really good now. He probably fits the show better than Paul, especially considering he comes across as more knowledgable on politics, thus he delivers the cutting satire a lot better. Paul, on the other hand, continues to go down the "traditional" comedy route of wordplay and nonsensical ramblings.

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably go for Ian Hislop mainly because I like his political digs he has especially when someone like Prescott was in last time (and is presenting the show tonight so should be fun!).

Merton's not bad. Hislop/Merton both bring variety to the HIGNFY table so they play off each other quite well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy Paving)
    I prefer Ian Hislop and find him a funnier and generally better person. Paul Merton can be funny but I get the vibe that he doesn't like being outdone and when someone cracks a funnier joke than him, he hates it and brings all the attention back to him. :no: That's the impression I get.
    Yeah, and he never laughs when someone makes a genuinely funny joke. He's definitely witty, though.

ReputationRep:
    Paul Merton was funnier.

Now he just acts like he doesn't want to be there.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 6, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.