Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"Cooling off" In a Relationship mean? Watch

Hey, I ended a 5 month relationship with my gf a few weeks ago. I made it pretty clear to her that it was over...The reasons for ended it could have been worked through, but I just felt that there was no way the relationship could continue like that with one person thinking they were on top...

2 weeks after we had broken up she told her friend that we were just "cooling off" what does she mean by this? As i said I think I made it clear that it was over...

your help would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I would take that to mean ''still together, just not as serious as before.'' It sounds like she just doesn't want to admit to her friend that you've broken up yet.

(Original post by Sakura-Chan)
    I would take that to mean ''still together, just not as serious as before.'' It sounds like she just doesn't want to admit to her friend that you've broken up yet.
    But surely she could have just said were not together anymore, and if ask what happened....a simple it didn't work out, I just don't know why'd she say "cooling off" questions are only going to be asked later

ReputationRep:
    I agree with this, especially if she thought you two were going to last for a very long time and she had told people about that she will not admit to her friends that you've broken up because shes embarressed.
    Aslong as your sure you made it clear that your both over (and that you didnt say anything like 'maybe in the future we could try again' etc..) then she should be clear as to where you both are

ReputationRep:
    mmm she could possibly still feel there is a chance so doesn't want to admit it yet? or she just doesn't want anyone to know you're single - quite flattering tbh :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    But surely she could have just said were not together anymore, and if ask what happened....a simple it didn't work out, I just don't know why'd she say "cooling off" questions are only going to be asked later
    She could have. But it just depends what she's like as a person, how much she talked to her friends about you, whether she saw it coming etc. Maybe she's still to upset to admit it? Maybe she still likes you and thinks she can get back with you? 2 weeks isn't that long, maybe she just wasn't over it yet?

If you really want to know, she's the best person to talk to

Also, most girls won't take ''it just didn't work out'' for an answer for why you broke up. We're much more nosey than that and want to know all the ins and outs.

ReputationRep:
    Also, most girls won't take ''it just didn't work out'' for an answer for why you broke up. We're much more nosey than that and want to know all the ins and outs.
    This.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 24, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.